Whats better IMCO SCX vs Bravo1 XR? >

Whats better IMCO SCX vs Bravo1 XR?

Notices

Whats better IMCO SCX vs Bravo1 XR?

Old 01-17-2011, 10:27 AM
KN
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about a Konrad drive, I know they handle more power that a Bravo One. What is the cost?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Registered

Your other option is a Max Machine works drive.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:50 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Max Machine works drive uses XR internals...but a stronger case. The gears still are all Mercury...and therefore fail.

I love my SCX upper... the thing is bulletproof so far...and I am pushing over 1000hp.

On my boat (after correct setup) the SCX upper is about 1 mph slower than a Bravo style (SC upper)...buts lots stronger!

I would look at possibly using a SC lower, as they have thus been proven to be about 3-4 mph faster than the SCX lower. I think the trick to using the SCX lower is that it needs to be set up surfacing like a NXT or a #6 drive.

Just my rambling thoughts.

Chris

P.S. I hurt my SC upper (XR gears in a stronger case) with 700 horsepower.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:07 PM
Registered

I would recommend the SCX upper and SC lower.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

How about a BMAX?
Old 01-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Kurt,
For what you seem to be doing.. I would think a properly setup B1 with steel tower and good top cap would handle it. At least it would be better than an XR with bad gears in it.
What is the weight of that boat and how hard are you on it, while racing?? I take it you race while pulling a skier? Is this ocean racing?
What size motor?? What kind of prop do you need to run to do this type of racing, what rpm will the drive see?

Dick
Old 01-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Registered

Dick
The dry hull weight will be roughly 750-800lb.
Thats obviously isnt that heavy compared to what alot of you guys are running.
We run predominantly offshore ski races here so in the rough stuff i would expect speeds to top out at 50-60mph and reach approx 100mph in calm conditions.
Engine will be 540ci fuel injected NA merlinIII (approx 650-700hp). Max rpm approx 6300rpm. Probably run a bravo1 prop or similar.
I also believe a B1XR will handle what im doing however if the price difference isnt astronomical i couldnt see why i wouldnt just purchase a SCX for complete piece of mind.
Can anyone tell me what a B1XR costs complete new to compare?
Old 07-31-2013, 04:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CB-BLR
The Max Machine works drive uses XR internals...but a stronger case. The gears still are all Mercury...and therefore fail.

I love my SCX upper... the thing is bulletproof so far...and I am pushing over 1000hp.

On my boat (after correct setup) the SCX upper is about 1 mph slower than a Bravo style (SC upper)...buts lots stronger!

I would look at possibly using a SC lower, as they have thus been proven to be about 3-4 mph faster than the SCX lower. I think the trick to using the SCX lower is that it needs to be set up surfacing like a NXT or a #6 drive.

Just my rambling thoughts.

Chris

P.S. I hurt my SC upper (XR gears in a stronger case) with 700 horsepower.
So Chris - it seems you are tunning the SCX upper and lower, how is the lower performing in regards to top end speed, would you expect and SC lower to last on your boat?

Thanks,
Rod
Old 07-31-2013, 05:45 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a new build I would go SCX. I do believe a XR would also holdup pretty well. Over time the SCX will be more cost effective and have good resale value.
Steve
Old 07-31-2013, 08:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tom A.
Trust me, 700hp = Imco SCX.... that's what I am swapping right now!
Too many of these.......
DITTO, I have 740 hp and blew up my XR Drive to scrap mettal , put on a SCX with a SC lower and no problems , iTS NOT IF ITS WHEN YOU WILL BLOW THE XR WITH THAT KIND OF HP . Xr drive's a great for under 500hp, once you go over 500hp and if you want the drive to live its time to finish the drive train .

Last edited by wellcrafted; 07-31-2013 at 08:57 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.