Notices

Documentation Question

Old 01-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Documentation Question

I don't post alot but my boat that I purchased last Winter is Documented. I knew that I was supposed to receive a renewal letter in the mail but I figured it would be from the US Government or? I received a renewal form from Specialized Yacht Services tonight for my March renewal and wanted to make sure it was not a scam. Is this the company that handles the renewal? The renewal fee is $75.00. Thanks in advance for your help on this!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine comes from the USCG. Simple sign and mail back. I don't think it costs anything. Sounds like a scam to me.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KYElimEagle
Mine comes from the USCG. Simple sign and mail back. I don't think it costs anything. Sounds like a scam to me.
Ok thanks....how long before the due date does it usually arrive?
Old 01-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC288
Ok thanks....how long before the due date does it usually arrive?
A month or 2 before it is due!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 08:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

There is a possibility that when you bought your boat the lending agency used a Documentation Service and they have a service where they charge you each year for renewing.

Of course you should save the money no matter what the cost since it literally involves you signing your name and mailing back in.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SC288
I don't post alot but my boat that I purchased last Winter is Documented. I knew that I was supposed to receive a renewal letter in the mail but I figured it would be from the US Government or? I received a renewal form from Specialized Yacht Services tonight for my March renewal and wanted to make sure it was not a scam. Is this the company that handles the renewal? The renewal fee is $75.00. Thanks in advance for your help on this!
may want to check with Specialized Yacht Services on the paperwork , all my boats have been handled thru Lake Ozark Documentation Services and they send us the new paperwork every year ..good luck
Old 01-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Annual renew is free if done before expiration.
Here is the info from the USCG site http://uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvdc/nvdcinstr.asp :

Director
National Vessel Documentation Center
792 T. J. Jackson Drive
Falling Waters, WV 25419
Staff Symbol:
Phone: (304) 271-2400
FAX: (304) 271-2405

RENEWAL OF CERTIFICATE OF DOCUMENTATION

A Certificate of Documentation must be renewed on a yearly basis. The Coast Guard facilitates the renewal process by sending a notice of renewal (CG-1280) to the managing owner approximately 45 days prior to the expiration of the document. If there is no response to the Notice of Renewal a warning notice indicating that the document has expired is sent to the owner approximately 10 days after expiration. Operation of the vessel with an expired certificate may result in a penalty of up to $500.00 per day. There is no fee for the renewal of the certificate if it is accomplished prior to the expiration date. Though the Coast Guard sends notices regarding the renewal of the document, the ultimate responsibility of renewing a Certificate of Documentation rests with the owner. It is important to keep the National Vessel Documentation Center informed of any change of address to insure timely receipt of these renewal notices. Changes of address may be made by FAX (304) 271-2405 or by e-mail to: [email protected]

If the Certificate of Documentation is not renewed within the time frames stated on the notices of renewal it must be re-issued which requires an Application for Documentation (CG-1258) and an $84.00 fee plus applicable endorsement fees, $29.00 for a coastwise or $12.00 for fishery. Applications, instructions and a complete fee schedule are available at this web site.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/Coas...selByName.html

Check to see when your documentation expires or is due and that all your info is correct.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

There are services that do the renewal for you for a fee. One such service in CA is Mary Conlin Co. I have used them in the past for two different boats. They charge $100.00 for 3 years of automatic renewal. It just makes it so you don't have to think about it. Personal preference.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:17 AM
Registered

It's a no brainer. Just call the Doc Center, make sure they have the right address and like clockwork they will send you a letter about 6 weeks to 1 month before renewal, sign the letter mail it back and in about a week you've got your renewal. Done and it's free minus 5 minutes of your time an your stamp costs of course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.