Notices

Getting closer to paint!

Old 01-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Getting closer to paint!

My guy continues to get the batboat prepped for paint. Hopefully I will be able to post some before and afters soon!

That said, he is giving me some choices on the paint. I am having it painted "Synergy Green" (the color on the new Camaro). When I discuss the cost/benefit at the paint store, i am looking at using a base of 4th Dimension to be cleared with Euro Kwick Transtar 7211. The guy at Sherwin Williams sells a bunch of it, but has limited experience with it on a fiberglass boat. By no means is this a "high ender" boat, I just want it to look decent. The boat will be run but will certainly spend much of its life on a trailer in one of my garages. Any comments on the choice of paint/clear?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Look forward to seeing pics...Use IMRON to clear that bad boy
Old 01-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Transtar is a midrange clear, they sell a ton because of pricing. Its a decent clear but most Transtars i have used i wasnt really excited about. Seemed to shrink and die back a lot. That color will tend to magnify imperfections so make sure its well prepped.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 01-19-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:24 PM
Registered

Cool

Originally Posted by glassdave
PPG's basecoat DBC system with DCU 2021 clear. Looks great and is user friendly. Cool color for sure, those high pearls magnify imperfections make sure shes well prepped.
The guy doing the work sees chit that I would have never seen and he is working on it. the only real problem area that we have found is that there is some very slight spider cracking just above the bulkhead. On the backside, the glass looks good, but when he climbs into the bow and looks at it from the backside, he sees where it might be weak. he is going to get in there and fix the problem first, and then repair the spider cracks.

Dave, if you could PM me your phone number again, I would really appreciate it.

Besides the paint getting closer, I am also picking up my new 383 stroker tomorrow. We are installing the merc tunnel ram and the Scorpion fuel injection system. I have the motor painted entirely black.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:27 PM
Registered

Transtar is a midrange clear, they sell a ton because of pricing. Its a decent clear but most Transtars i have used i wasnt really excited about. Seemed to shrink and die back a lot. That color will tend to magnify imperfections so make sure its well prepped.
So you would still like to see the PPG's basecoat DBC system with DCU 2021 clear used? Any idea on the pricing on the paint and the clear? I am not going to let $500 get in the way of this looking good, but would rather not spend it if I can get good results with other.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 36Tango
So you would still like to see the PPG's basecoat DBC system with DCU 2021 clear used? Any idea on the pricing on the paint and the clear? I am not going to let $500 get in the way of this looking good, but would rather not spend it if I can get good results with other.

Thanks
GlassDave is balls on. DBC Base and 2021 clear.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
GlassDave is balls on. DBC Base and 2021 clear.
House of Kolors is always a good choice for custom work. Can't wait to see some pics of it
Old 01-19-2011, 11:40 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 36Tango

Thanks
Lol I see ya caught my first response, actually I changed that when I saw you were shopping a specific system. Yes I prefer DBC and DCU2021 to pretty much anything but House of Color is up there to and at that level its down to personal preferance. Because you are using an OEM color might be easier using PPG. If you were looking anywhere to trim the budget a bit in the paint system and still get good results you might see if the basecoat is avaliable in PPG's Omni or Shopline and use the high end DCU clear but you might be stuck using DBC with a color like that. I will look at the formula in my mixing systems software and see what its available in. I'll pm ya my number again.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-20-2011, 07:13 AM
Registered

Lol I see ya caught my first response, actually I changed that when I saw you were shopping a specific system. Yes I prefer DBC and DCU2021 to pretty much anything but House of Color is up there to and at that level its down to personal preferance. Because you are using an OEM color might be easier using PPG. If you were looking anywhere to trim the budget a bit in the paint system and still get good results you might see if the basecoat is avaliable in PPG's Omni or Shopline and use the high end DCU clear but you might be stuck using DBC with a color like that. I will look at the formula in my mixing systems software and see what its available in. I'll pm ya my number again.
I am certainly not locked into that exact color, but I like that shade of green with the metallic in it. Since I am not matching anything, I'd be open for any brand that will do the job at a decent price. We will also be doing a tow vehichle in the same color.

I appreciate the input.

Jeff
Old 01-20-2011, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont Skimp on materials, Glassdave, and Active Thunder both do a LOT of this stuff on boats, and in the past I have done Many cars(and a few boats) DBC and DCU2021 is the way to go, materials are cheaper than labor if ya gotta do it over. if a few $$ is gonna break you, I have had good results with matrix systems http://matrixsystem.com/, but that is if you have a distributor near you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.