Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Is summit racings paint anygood? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/246066-summit-racings-paint-anygood.html)

mr buttonhead 01-20-2011 07:08 PM

Is summit racings paint anygood?

Loooking at paints for boat repaint. Is summits paints and clearcoats good?

glassdave 01-20-2011 08:11 PM

I wouldnt put much faith in it being more then an entry/mid level finish judging by the pricing. I would imagine its similar to Omni or Shop-line

mptrimshop 01-20-2011 08:22 PM

go to a local paint store. I'm guessing since you are asking this question you have very little experience with auto paint. Who are you going to call when your new paint job that you spent 200 hours preping starts to freak out? If you call summit you are going to sit on hold then you will speak to a guy in India that will read you a few neat facts from the Manuel......If you go to a local jobber you will pay more...and get a better paint...and get a human that deals with auto paint everyday. So if things go wrong you can call them up and get a little help. You have no idea how many times i have been at the shop that i use and people have called up from a paint booth with a problem and the guy who owns the place talks them trough there best options. And last of all if you have never painted i do not recommend your 1st job be your boat hire a painter that knows what they are doing....and if you do that just tell the guy what color you want and let him handle what brand and where to get it.

RunninHotRacing163.1 01-20-2011 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by mptrimshop (Post 3302998)
go to a local paint store. I'm guessing since you are asking this question you have very little experience with auto paint. Who are you going to call when your new paint job that you spent 200 hours preping starts to freak out? If you call summit you are going to sit on hold then you will speak to a guy in India that will read you a few neat facts from the Manuel......If you go to a local jobber you will pay more...and get a better paint...and get a human that deals with auto paint everyday. So if things go wrong you can call them up and get a little help. You have no idea how many times i have been at the shop that i use and people have called up from a paint booth with a problem and the guy who owns the place talks them trough there best options. And last of all if you have never painted i do not recommend your 1st job be your boat hire a painter that knows what they are doing....and if you do that just tell the guy what color you want and let him handle what brand and where to get it.

Who are you going to call when your new paint job that you spent 200 hours preping starts to freak out?:eek:

Exactly , paints about the Last thing you wanna order from Summit ...:drink:

Griff 01-20-2011 10:44 PM

While I wouldn't get paint for a boat from Summit, I have never been on hold for more than a minute and their calls are taken by pretty knowledgeable people. Calls definately don't go to India.

apollard 01-21-2011 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 3303153)
While I wouldn't get paint for a boat from Summit, I have never been on hold for more than a minute and their calls are taken by pretty knowledgeable people. Calls definately don't go to India.

+1 - they use folks local to their facilities (US facilities) for the phones. All that I have spoken to are car guys, and quite helpful.

A guy I know painted his 15 yr old truck with the Summit paint when it first came out. It looks good, but no idea how it will hold up. I'd use it for a daily driver or beater truck, but go with well known names for anything else.

mptrimshop 01-21-2011 11:23 AM

The paint my be ok....i don't know. My point was you want to by better pain't from someone that knows what they are doing...and start slow. I am willing to be that thre help lines are not that much help when it comes to paint work( i do not know this for a fact)......

dykstra 01-21-2011 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by mptrimshop (Post 3303500)
The paint my be ok....i don't know. My point was you want to by better pain't from someone that knows what they are doing...and start slow. I am willing to be that thre help lines are not that much help when it comes to paint work( i do not know this for a fact)......

+1:drink: