Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Lots of cheap boats in the classifieds lately..... >

Lots of cheap boats in the classifieds lately.....

Notices

Lots of cheap boats in the classifieds lately.....

Old 01-25-2011, 01:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AB From Windsor
In Windsor, Ontario Canada we have been paying close to $5.00 gallon. I use Sunoco 94 Octane and it is $1.22 - $1.26 Liter right now, 4.5 liters to a gallon so we will be paying over $5.00 a gallon. Thanks god I have a single engine small block, which is great on fuel.
Actually there are approx 3.8 L per one US gallon. you are using the british gallon.
Even still you are approaching $5.00/gallon. I havent seen 87 for under $1.10 at a marina in years. So even for marine 87 we are looking at $4.00/g+. It doesn't bother me much, fuel is a smaller part of the cost of ownership. You americans are lucky you have had it so cheap for so long, you better get used to $4.00+ because even 5.00/g is inevitable. Just a matter of time..
Old 01-25-2011, 07:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by skate
I did the same thing first time I paid $5.00/gal for fuel. Then some guy comes blazing thru our cove pulling three tubes with two teenage girls on each. Ends up one of our party knows the guy and he takes three more teenagers from our boat and drags them around the lake all afternoon with his crew. Several of us commented he must be super dad. That next week he was hit by a truck and killed while biking.

The rest of the summer I filled the boat with a smile, tip the gas dock girl well and dragged every kid that we could pile into the boat. The last weekend of the summer his daughters went tubing with our kids. All I could think about all summer was that weekend was the last thing those kids did with their dad.

So if you have a boat and can afford the fuel enjoy yourself and share the moment. Each day is a gift.
Good for you Skate, you are right, every day is a gift.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by breakitout
Actually there are approx 3.8 L per one US gallon. you are using the british gallon.
Even still you are approaching $5.00/gallon. I havent seen 87 for under $1.10 at a marina in years. So even for marine 87 we are looking at $4.00/g+. It doesn't bother me much, fuel is a smaller part of the cost of ownership. You americans are lucky you have had it so cheap for so long, you better get used to $4.00+ because even 5.00/g is inevitable. Just a matter of time..
To much pressure from growing markets (China India) for a limited non renewable resource.

Just the way it is and will be until we figure out a way to come up with some other fuel, that IS NOT based on food.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuel is the largest single ticket item for my boating "budget". I guess I am not trying hard enough!!!!
Old 01-25-2011, 11:46 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by breakitout
You americans are lucky you have had it so cheap for so long, you better get used to $4.00+ because even 5.00/g is inevitable. Just a matter of time..
Why are we "lucky" for a good price on a resource that we have an abundance of within our own borders and offshore waters? Chavez is basically giving it away in Venezuela and what does a gallon of gas cost in Saudi Arabia?

Places like France have very little oil, and, frankly, too much arrogance, so let them pay $10/gallon...They deserve it. But the U.S and Canada should stop paying excise taxes and mea culpa penalties to themselves on fuel and just drill dammit!

Last edited by T2x; 01-25-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Why are we "lucky" for a good price on a resource that we have an abundance of within our own borders and offshore waters? Chavez is basically giving it away in Venezuela and what does a gallon of gas cost in Saudi Arabia?

Places like France have very little oil, and, frankly, too much arrogance, so let them pay $10/gallon...They deserve it. But the U.S and Canada should stop paying excise taxes and mea culpa penalties to themselves on fuel and just drill dammit!
+ 1 and well said
Old 01-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavor1
+ 1 and well said
Very true
Old 01-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Registered

Drill baby Drill!!!

That's what I'm gonna name my next boat

How insane is it that we have foreign countries drilling on our own shores... and we're being held hostage by OPEC?
Old 01-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T2x

The longer Obama is in office, the closer our gas prices AND our society will become to both Canada and France.....
Old 01-25-2011, 08:37 PM
Registered

I think people just really want to sell their boats. These prices seem cheap yet they are actually real Blue book values. The boats that have been for sale for 2 years are over priced and people just havent accepted it yet or are burried in them. Bottom line is if your house lost 40% of its value what do you think your boat did?