Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
First "real" powerboat...advise? >

First "real" powerboat...advise?

Notices

First "real" powerboat...advise?

Old 01-26-2011, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It a salt water boat. Plenty of freash water boats around these parts that fit your bill. Baja and Scarabs seem to be what you mostly see on Erie for single engines though so you are on the right path. I know 2 years ago going to Christmas in July in a 30ft baja with twins was a bit scetchy..but the drinking and partying makes it all worth it.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dkwestern
25 powerplay on CL is nice.

Another 25 powerplay on scream and fly with twin outboards $22K
That boat is awesome! I would absolutely LOVE to snag a powerboat with twin ob's, but I'm really looking for a bit more of a cabin. There was an AT 25' on PowerboatListings and on Ebay some time back that was supposedly built for Livorsi? It had twin 2.5's, but is sold.....blah...
Old 01-26-2011, 06:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bobonthis
It a salt water boat. Plenty of freash water boats around these parts that fit your bill. Baja and Scarabs seem to be what you mostly see on Erie for single engines though so you are on the right path. I know 2 years ago going to Christmas in July in a 30ft baja with twins was a bit scetchy..but the drinking and partying makes it all worth it.
Yea, I'd rather have a fresh water boat, but I can't expect to have everything I ask for at the price I can afford to pay...haha. Put in Bay can be straight nutty....good luck finding a dock, and even then you're rafted 4 deep. If you're the guy on the inside and want to leave early- good luck. Thats when it was nice having a 20' center console...i'd trim that motor way up and inch in right towards the breakwall off the park...tie a bow line off the wall cleat and a grapple anchor off the stern. If you don't mind wet legs, it was a free front row seat to the ****-show!
Old 01-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Registered

For a boat I say go w/ a 28 for Eerie. I went through this exact shopping a few years ago, and here's my short list:

28 Powerplay - great ride, rare as **** (13 made, only 2-3 are singles.......)

28 Active Thunder - great ride, huge/deep cockpit

28 Pantera - great ride, less freeboard

There are some other good boats in the size range, but I gravitate towards better ride in a boat that is "smaller" for a big lake. In a 25-28 you won't be able to run all out most days out, so you'll get more use of a "wave crusher" than a fast step boat that beats you up on all but flat water days.

Most every Fountain out there will out run me on a river, but on St Clair I've been by them many times (27/29 Fountains) where my non-boating friends comment on how rough their ride looks and we're in relative comfort. Everyone talks about running 60 to 70 in 3's or 4's in a 28.......but I don't buy it.

If you are under 75 mph or so you can use Allstate, they were way cheaper for me than anyone else I checked. About $600 a year.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:43 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Also, keep your eyes open for a 28 Saber.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Its really hard to say exactly which boat or brand to buy. I like all the suggestions on here and think you should look for the overall best bang for the buck. If your not currently "stuck" on one then thats my advice. There are going to be the good and bad of every brand/model out there, depending on who owned it, what day of the week it was built, salt/fresh water, engine, etc. Once you find the best overall deal you will be happy that you have extra money left over for fuel and fun! In the end you will upgrade to a new boat many more times before your done! Enjoy.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rlj676

28 Powerplay - great ride, rare as **** (13 made, only 2-3 are singles.......)

28 Active Thunder - great ride, huge/deep cockpit

28 Pantera - great ride, less freeboard
What, no love for my 29' Phantom?

MetlShpr PM sent.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MetlShpr
I'm right in Sandusky! I typically go to Put in Bay a few times a seson- for Christmas in July, 4th of July weekend, and whenever I have the extra cash. Kellys Island too, which is a little more laid back...and closer. I head over there during the week even. Have you ever been to the Sandusky Bay Barge Party? It's as close as a local will come to "Redneck Yacht Club" mixed with a little Spring Break at Lake Havasu on the Travel channel- look it up on Facebook. Someone tows in a huge barge, generator, large band, stripper poles, and HUNDREDS of boats...all in knee deep water in the middle of Sandusky Bay...it's a blast- that is, if you're into that relax on your boat all day, loud music, hot sun, smokin' women type of thing...
x5
Old 01-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage

MetlShpr PM sent.
Oh, yeah, another rare one that will take the water of a big lake! Fixed up nice with some new trick stuff too.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage

MetlShpr PM sent.
Truth be known, the 29 phantom(original magnum, not the canopy) is one of my favorite boats. I still have the phantom poster with Cheryl Smith driving the CC...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.