Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ballistic- Seems like a buy.......... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/246461-ballistic-seems-like-buy.html)

iamjoe 01-26-2011 04:31 PM

Ballistic- Seems like a buy..........

I was just going through the classifieds and saw that the 47' Nortech, Ballistic has been relisted for what seems like a bargain @ $150K. Considering that it would need some power, it would still be a large investment but compared to some of the other high-end non-powered Cats currently listed, this seems like a preety good buy.

Whats the story on this boat. I remember it was introduced at the Miami boat show and I remember there was a story on it when it was built. If I remember correctly, the boat orginally had monster KE power in it and at the time it was touted as one of the best out there. I saw it idling around once at the Sarasota PR but I never heard how it ran or if the bugs were ever worked out of it.

I know that the orginal owner (GATORONE) spent a small fortune to have it built but then it just kinda fell to the wayside when Gold Digger came about.

Not that I could afford it, but couldn't someone with the means have a really *****in boat for a relatively low investment as compared to spending $500K+ for some of the other stuff out there. The way it is advertised, it seems like a plug and play situation in that it just needs motors to be whole. Couldn't one be all set for around $300K?

glassdave 01-26-2011 04:46 PM

cool boat for sure but the reality is owners for that type of boat are few and far between (especially with a non tilt trailer). The ones with the means are probably not in the market for a project and anyone stepping up is going to own a boat the requires a whole new level of commitment. At almost fifty feet long and twelve feet wide its not you every day toy let alone the power its gonna need to push it. Still its always been one of my favorites, even though Nor Tech may not build the fastest they sure build one hell of a boat. If i was gonna build a new boat it would be a big diesel 43 like Jassmans old boat. I also think Nor Tech builds one of the best lookin boats out there.

marine concepts 01-26-2011 06:56 PM

:circle:

bajaholic 01-26-2011 07:21 PM

Nice... Amazing when one sells boats they are ALWAYS the best since popcorn, but when it is someone else in the neighborhood, nothing good to say.... Just saying. Would be interesting to know what you think if you had gotten the deal to sell it.

Personally I think you are looking at it in the wrong light if you only think it has to be the fastest on the lake. This is a look cool, have the biggest and have fun running it. Is there and will there be better boats, surely... But, there is a number of really trick things on the boat and for that kind of money, it has a lot to offer.

mr buttonhead 01-26-2011 07:28 PM

Not going to be a fast. Boat. Nomatter what power you put in it. But it has neat features. Put 1075s in it and would run at 125-130mph.

Perlmudder 01-26-2011 07:30 PM

I did not know fiberglass paperweights did 150 with 1075's. Doesn't sound bad to me, the thing is sick looking

MES 01-26-2011 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by marine concepts (Post 3308435)
There is a reason it is being sold with no power, because if it did have power and you went to demo the boat, there is no way you would buy it. Just a real big fiberglass paperweight. How good of a deal is it when you will hate it when it's done?

The boat is epoxy, and weighs around 11,500lbs. Sobo said it ran 150ish with 1075's but what does he know? I heard that new DRAGON of yours has one hell of a paint job! Can't wait to see it!

tanner 01-26-2011 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by marine concepts (Post 3308435)
There is a reason it is being sold with no power, because if it did have power and you went to demo the boat, there is no way you would buy it. Just a real big fiberglass paperweight. How good of a deal is it when you will hate it when it's done?

So Canada Thrust , Aqua Doll, and Warbird, are 180 - 200 MPH Paperweights ??? :angry-smiley-038:

It tells me that it cost Nor Tech alot less that 150 to make that hull and paint new than to rehash an old hull... never the less, anyone who wants to put some cash into a boat ,can have a nice ride for 100's of thousands less than ordering new

baywatch 01-26-2011 07:39 PM

I thought it was really cool when I got in it. The stereo is kick a** and is an experience all in its own.

marine concepts 01-26-2011 08:06 PM

:party-smiley-020: