Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ballistic- Seems like a buy.......... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/246461-ballistic-seems-like-buy.html)

iamjoe 01-26-2011 04:31 PM

Ballistic- Seems like a buy..........

I was just going through the classifieds and saw that the 47' Nortech, Ballistic has been relisted for what seems like a bargain @ $150K. Considering that it would need some power, it would still be a large investment but compared to some of the other high-end non-powered Cats currently listed, this seems like a preety good buy.

Whats the story on this boat. I remember it was introduced at the Miami boat show and I remember there was a story on it when it was built. If I remember correctly, the boat orginally had monster KE power in it and at the time it was touted as one of the best out there. I saw it idling around once at the Sarasota PR but I never heard how it ran or if the bugs were ever worked out of it.

I know that the orginal owner (GATORONE) spent a small fortune to have it built but then it just kinda fell to the wayside when Gold Digger came about.

Not that I could afford it, but couldn't someone with the means have a really *****in boat for a relatively low investment as compared to spending $500K+ for some of the other stuff out there. The way it is advertised, it seems like a plug and play situation in that it just needs motors to be whole. Couldn't one be all set for around $300K?

glassdave 01-26-2011 04:46 PM

cool boat for sure but the reality is owners for that type of boat are few and far between (especially with a non tilt trailer). The ones with the means are probably not in the market for a project and anyone stepping up is going to own a boat the requires a whole new level of commitment. At almost fifty feet long and twelve feet wide its not you every day toy let alone the power its gonna need to push it. Still its always been one of my favorites, even though Nor Tech may not build the fastest they sure build one hell of a boat. If i was gonna build a new boat it would be a big diesel 43 like Jassmans old boat. I also think Nor Tech builds one of the best lookin boats out there.

marine concepts 01-26-2011 06:56 PM

:circle:

bajaholic 01-26-2011 07:21 PM

Nice... Amazing when one sells boats they are ALWAYS the best since popcorn, but when it is someone else in the neighborhood, nothing good to say.... Just saying. Would be interesting to know what you think if you had gotten the deal to sell it.

Personally I think you are looking at it in the wrong light if you only think it has to be the fastest on the lake. This is a look cool, have the biggest and have fun running it. Is there and will there be better boats, surely... But, there is a number of really trick things on the boat and for that kind of money, it has a lot to offer.

mr buttonhead 01-26-2011 07:28 PM

Not going to be a fast. Boat. Nomatter what power you put in it. But it has neat features. Put 1075s in it and would run at 125-130mph.

Perlmudder 01-26-2011 07:30 PM

I did not know fiberglass paperweights did 150 with 1075's. Doesn't sound bad to me, the thing is sick looking

MES 01-26-2011 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by marine concepts (Post 3308435)
There is a reason it is being sold with no power, because if it did have power and you went to demo the boat, there is no way you would buy it. Just a real big fiberglass paperweight. How good of a deal is it when you will hate it when it's done?

The boat is epoxy, and weighs around 11,500lbs. Sobo said it ran 150ish with 1075's but what does he know? I heard that new DRAGON of yours has one hell of a paint job! Can't wait to see it!

tanner 01-26-2011 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by marine concepts (Post 3308435)
There is a reason it is being sold with no power, because if it did have power and you went to demo the boat, there is no way you would buy it. Just a real big fiberglass paperweight. How good of a deal is it when you will hate it when it's done?

So Canada Thrust , Aqua Doll, and Warbird, are 180 - 200 MPH Paperweights ??? :angry-smiley-038:

It tells me that it cost Nor Tech alot less that 150 to make that hull and paint new than to rehash an old hull... never the less, anyone who wants to put some cash into a boat ,can have a nice ride for 100's of thousands less than ordering new

baywatch 01-26-2011 07:39 PM

I thought it was really cool when I got in it. The stereo is kick a** and is an experience all in its own.

marine concepts 01-26-2011 08:06 PM

:party-smiley-020:

tanner 01-26-2011 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by marine concepts (Post 3308533)
Don't mean to ruffle feathers. And I'm not saying nortech is bad, they build some great boats. But a rudder boat is different than a six boat. I'm also not saying it isn't fast for its size, handling is different than speed. The boat is a heck of a buy, but plan on getting rid of the rudder and shaft drives and put some 6's on it and should be fine. Either way I'm sure MES and PBB will do anything they can to make the new owner happy.

No feathers ruffled , but now I am confused.... if it didn't have a rudder it wouldnt' be a fiberglass paperwight ?? Now its fast for its size, put some 6's instead of rudders and it will be fine ???? Uhmmmmm.. Ok glad we have it all straight now !!:party-smiley-004:

marine concepts 01-26-2011 08:53 PM

:coolcowboy:

PokerRun388 01-26-2011 09:06 PM

Ive been watching them try to sell this 47 for years..... Several years ago, the TAOD paint cost over 100K, however I dont know what kind of condition its in, or if anyones been taking care of it..... The retractible hardtop was a bad idea, bcuz you cannot see behind you.... Thats why they've gotten away from that, and went to Roadsters.... Apparently their just isnt a big market for that 47,,, too bad bcuz it was stunning when debuted in 2007....

LESSONLEARNED 01-26-2011 11:15 PM

If I were in the market...

I'd ditch the rudder, throw in some 700/NXT's and have Nor-Tech Roadster convert it like Danger Zone...

Would be a dialed, reliable, fairly fast and great looking boat for under 300K...

baywatch 01-27-2011 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by PokerRun388 (Post 3308635)
Ive been watching them try to sell this 47 for years..... Several years ago, the TAOD paint cost over 100K, however I dont know what kind of condition its in, or if anyones been taking care of it..... The retractible hardtop was a bad idea, bcuz you cannot see behind you.... Thats why they've gotten away from that, and went to Roadsters.... Apparently their just isnt a big market for that 47,,, too bad bcuz it was stunning when debuted in 2007....

How many retractable top boats have you ridden in? Plenty of people are having fun in canopied boats as pleasure rides and those tops don't retract. Also, the people that I know with full canopies have a review camera incase they want to look back to admire their rooster tail.

I'd take a retractable over a roadster any day..

I don't get the "long time lurker instant know it all" chit..

omerta one 01-27-2011 09:22 AM

I recall some discussion about the retractable tops from a safety standpoint; if its open will you get thrown clear before it goes upside down? (Kind of the same logic in not wearing a seatbelt in an open cockpit boat.) And is a retractable top as strong as a fixed canopy if you go upside down when it's closed?

bajaholic 01-27-2011 09:26 AM

I feel the retractable HD, seriously cool, Best of both worlds. As far as safety overall, I would guess it is NOT as strong, same theory as a removable top in a car, basic safety:probably, catastrophic, not so much. Personally I think we ride in boats for the sunny side up, not seeing the fishes up close and personal anyway... Just having a little fun, but I think the removable HT on the outerlimits is also in the same type of realm, sure would be nice on the "cool" days.

The cameras are also the ticket, seems like :star wars" once you are down inside.

As far as on a non-tilt trailer, whats so bad with that, you can pull the boat with a 3500 or 4500 pick up, no semi needed. You are still going to need permits, so that is really a not an issue anyway. Lets face it, how offten are you going to want to pull that beast cross country anyway?

As I stated in the earlier thread, I think this is the look cool boat, not the fastest, but I would bet, ALMOST everyone at the tie ups/docks would be over in a heartbeat to check it out... Lets face it, for most people, Bling/paint is what really gets the attention!

RunninHotRacing163.1 01-27-2011 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by LESSONLEARNED (Post 3308752)

Would be a dialed, reliable, fairly fast and great looking boat for under 300K...

+ 1 :drink:

still a beautiful boat

Tom A. 01-27-2011 10:49 AM

Like Lessonlearned said.

My friend Bob who owns Speed Racer talked to Randy at MTI about trading it in on a non-rudder, 6 seat boat. After many talks, Bob decided it was smarter and a whole lot cheaper to make Speedy into a 6 seat, #6 boat. So, it will make its re-debut in a few weeks at the Islamorada Run.

The Nor-Tech new was over a million. At $149K you could take it back to Nor-Tech, convert it to a #6 open top boat for $150k, put in whatever power you want, and be into a 47' million dollar cat for around $400k.

I don't have that kind of cash but it could be a great deal.

Dredd 01-27-2011 10:57 AM

The detail in the paint is pretty amazing up close.

http://jwcustomcreations.com/fishpan...2_1024x608.jpg

http://jwcustomcreations.com/fishpan/pbb/IMAG0453.jpg

DirtyMoney 01-27-2011 09:58 PM

when was the top removed from Danger Zone?

Keith Atlanta 01-27-2011 10:50 PM

What actually is the 47? The 43 with a bussle? It looks exactly the same...

DirtyMoney 01-27-2011 10:52 PM

Yes bustle and rudder with BPMs

RunninHotRacing163.1 01-28-2011 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Dredd (Post 3309032)

Awesome attention to Detail :eek::drink:

BLee 01-28-2011 09:34 AM

I'm not positive, but I think the reason they got away from doing the retractable tops, was due to the hypothetical scenario of getting trapped inside if the boat were to roll over. If the power source that opens & closes the top were to somehow be lost, there was no way to manually open it underwater IF I am remembering correctly.

40FlatDeck 01-28-2011 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by BLee (Post 3309880)
I'm not positive, but I think the reason they got away from doing the retractable tops, was due to the hypothetical scenario of getting trapped inside if the boat were to roll over. If the power source that opens & closes the top were to somehow be lost, there was no way to manually open it underwater IF I am remembering correctly.

If you aren't right, you can bet to be called out on it....:lolhit:

That scenario sounds scary as sh*t.

Ballastic has always been one of my favorites. Great lines.

Philm 01-28-2011 09:46 AM

There is no escape hatch in the floor? Doesnt seem smart.

texaschopper 01-28-2011 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Philm (Post 3309889)
There is no escape hatch in the floor? Doesnt seem smart.

I saw it last year in rack so I could see under it. Appeared to me there is a hatch

BLee 01-28-2011 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by 40FlatDeck (Post 3309888)
If you aren't right, you can bet to be called out on it....:lolhit:

That scenario sounds scary as sh*t.

:drink::drink:

and no kidding man, that would be a really scary situation.

Originally Posted by texaschopper (Post 3309892)
I saw it last year in rack so I could see under it. Appeared to me there is a hatch

Cool, having an emergency hatch in the tunnel would make it much less of a concern.

glassdave 01-28-2011 10:31 AM

I know that boat was purpose built but is there any kind of cabin or storage under the deck? I got a pair of 365 Mags laying around from my Scarab wonder how that would work, be good competition for the MTI that was for sale with the 502 Mags in it :D

ckin62 01-28-2011 10:35 AM

I know the hatch was a major concern and another was the weight. It turned out to be much heavier than expected.

I still think it is an awesome boat and hope someone puts some time into her and gets it back on the water soon!

salesmanship 01-28-2011 10:48 AM

Of course that was a concern during the intitial design phase.

There is a full race escape hatch in the floor.The sliding roof also has a manual escape hatch that can be opened from either side.
The boat is awsome but it seemed more people preferred having no roof.

BLee 01-28-2011 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by salesmanship (Post 3309963)
Of course that was a concern during the intitial design phase.

There is a full race escape hatch in the floor.The sliding roof also has a manual escape hatch that can be opened from either side.

The boat is awsome but it seemed more people preferred having no roof.

Cool, thanks for the clairification as always T! I like DangerZone the best of the two.

It seems like the canopied "pleasure" boat thing was a bit of a phase in the market for awhile? Along with DangerZone & Ballistic, there were a decent number of pleasure OL's & MTI's built with canopies around that time. You don't seem to see them being ordered that way as much now though.

I definitely prefer "topless" as well.....& open cockpit boats :lolhit:

mr buttonhead 01-28-2011 12:19 PM

If one of the 10 people who say they are buying my skater would come up with the cash the 47 will be mine with the 1200s