Like Tree0Likes

Check out the latest issue of Powerboat Magazine - You wont be disappointed!

Reply
Old 02-09-2011, 09:46 PM
  #71
Correspondent
Correspondent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdchildhood View Post
Good points I think. Prop tests, shorty tests, tab tests, etc. Great idea. One of my pet peeves is no pictures of hull bottoms. This is a huge consideration in buying a boat but no one can show up before the boats are dunked and snap some pics of the bottoms?

No project boats to follow either. No money is being spent. Just show up at the launch at Havasu and let Teaque drive the boats and give his impressions.

Please understand that my complaints are intended as positive criticism that maybe Powerboat should listen to. I would hope that they care enough to at least read these threads.
A couple of points of clarification:

1. We had a project boat feature in the last issue. I know because I wrote it.

2. Joining Bob Teague as a test driver for the past five or six years has been John Tomlinson. (He just dropped me at the airport and I'm about to board my flight home.) So it is not "all Bob Teague," though he's an excellent test driver.

On your other points ... we're listening. Hard. Many valid observations.
Matt Trulio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:22 PM
  #72
Charter Member #927
Charter Member
 
Payton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: IN
My Boats: 1991 34' Super Hawaii
Posts: 4,817
Default

Got mine today, I have not look through it yet.
Payton is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:00 AM
  #73
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 33
Default

Got mine yesterday...nice articles, and the MTI/MR-1350s profile was cool, but only one (center console) boat test? This issue's an improvement in certain areas, but I'm still a bit disappointed. The boat tests are what I look forward to.
rj45 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:30 AM
  #74
Registered
Trade Score: (5)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Clarkston, Michigan
My Boats: 22 Donzi Classic 525 EFI
Posts: 4,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trulio View Post
A couple of points of clarification:

1. We had a project boat feature in the last issue. I know because I wrote it.

2. Joining Bob Teague as a test driver for the past five or six years has been John Tomlinson. (He just dropped me at the airport and I'm about to board my flight home.) So it is not "all Bob Teague," though he's an excellent test driver.

On your other points ... we're listening. Hard. Many valid observations.
Matt, the name John Tomlinson just wasn't coming to mind at the time I typed that. I was thinking more of an everyday man's boat project in the form of a continuing story that would keep readers coming back. Something along the way of what Hot Rod magazine would do with cars. I realize that money is a big issue here but maybe some readers would help out by allowing their projects to be followed. It would be cool to see a Powerboat owned boat project though. Just an idea. I like the magazine but it seems to be mainly boat testing and product evaluations. We all like to see prop tests. And how long does it take to bolt up a shorty (or shortys) to a variety of boats and report the results? Again, Matt, intended as constructive criticism. We already lost Hot Boat; To lose Powerboat would be a damn shame.
thirdchildhood is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:34 AM
  #75
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
My Boats: 1990 Eliminator 234 Edge, 1980 Nordic Blown Jet Boat, Rochelle Craft 20' Bowrider Jet Boat 2008 Eliminator 36' Speedster-Charter member of the "Too Damn Many Boats At One Time Club"
Posts: 811
Default It Arrived!

Well my copy did arrive in the deep south yesterday. I did enjoy it better than last copy, but I think the name should be changed Powerboat Racing, as that seems to be the main focus lately. I am sure some are very interested in all the racing articles and stories, but they take up way too much of the magazineís content. I think the racing content could be a section with highlights instead of page after page of the same pictures and long articles. How about a section about regular people doing repowers or a continuing rehab project with pictures showing progress. I know people on this site seem to really enjoy this these types of threads. How about a "readers rides" section like Hot Boat used to do. We all love boat tests and articles on new or used boats people can afford to buy and not just $700 to $800K super boats. I do love reading Powerboat and I know it is hard to keep fresh content flowing, but it can be done and must be done to ensure a future for this magazine.
ElimiNordic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:40 AM
  #76
Correspondent
Correspondent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElimiNordic View Post
Well my copy did arrive in the deep south yesterday. I did enjoy it better than last copy, but I think the name should be changed Powerboat Racing, as that seems to be the main focus lately. I am sure some are very interested in all the racing articles and stories, but they take up way too much of the magazineís content. I think the racing content could be a section with highlights instead of page after page of the same pictures and long articles. How about a section about regular people doing repowers or a continuing rehab project with pictures showing progress. I know people on this site seem to really enjoy this these types of threads. How about a "readers rides" section like Hot Boat used to do. We all love boat tests and articles on new or used boats people can afford to buy and not just $700 to $800K super boats. I do love reading Powerboat and I know it is hard to keep fresh content flowing, but it can be done and must be done to ensure a future for this magazine.
There was a lot racing coverage in the last issue. Actually, there was a lot of racing coverage in the last two issues.

Racing is a tough one. It is what people call a cost centerórace coverage brings in nothing and costs a fortune. Yet something lke 75 percent of Powerboat readers say they want offshore racing coverage. (As for the other forms of racing the magazine covers, their draw is significantly lower, hence they get significantly less coverage.) So offshore race coverage is what magazine folks like to call a "reader service" as opposed to a revenue generator.

The key, as everyone here seems to agree, is striking a balance. Trust me, it's a daily discussion and I like to think we're making headway. But it's never completely done.
Matt Trulio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:18 PM
  #77
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Tom A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New Jersey
My Boats: Necessary Evil .............Donzi 38 ZrComp.............
Posts: 4,094
Default

Got mine yesterday. It looks great!

I got quoted in the A/C Poker Run part of the "Poker Runs to do Before You Die". Thanks Matt! I particularly like the way you so eloquently put that I "usually go on the Sat. fun run" instead of (quoting myself) "Well I love the fun run but missed it this year because I was too hungover / still drunk from the night before! Uhhhh, please don't quote me on that."
Tom A. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:53 PM
  #78
Correspondent
Correspondent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom A. View Post
Got mine yesterday. It looks great!

I got quoted in the A/C Poker Run part of the "Poker Runs to do Before You Die". Thanks Matt! I particularly like the way you so eloquently put that I "usually go on the Sat. fun run" instead of (quoting myself) "Well I love the fun run but missed it this year because I was too hungover / still drunk from the night before! Uhhhh, please don't quote me on that."
You told me that was off the record, Tommy.

Journalism Rule No. 1: Never burn your sources.
Matt Trulio is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:03 PM
  #79
Registered
 
ItsPeanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Im close to water?
My Boats: 21 Scout
Posts: 1,239
Default

Mine arrived yesterday to Jax. Thumbed threw it briefly and im happy with it. Anything with boats makes me happy. My only beef is that the newsstands had it before me.
ItsPeanut is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:05 PM
  #80
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
OldSchool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Florida
My Boats: Cigarette CC and Boston Whaler currently
Posts: 10,094
Default

Mine came today as well...Looking forward to checking it out later.
__________________
I can't talk about it right now, it's being handled by the Postal Inspector. Those guys don't mess around!
OldSchool is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.