Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Did I miss something or am I just cheap? >

Did I miss something or am I just cheap?

Notices

Did I miss something or am I just cheap?

Old 05-18-2002, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I miss something or am I just cheap?

I was looking through my new issue of Powerboat last night and wondering when the economy doubled? My salary sure didn't, and either did the stock market (at least not the part I've got).

I "used" to think a nice 35-40' offshore was in the low $200's, with trick power bumping it to the 3's. Now it seems that everything is $400,000, give or take a little. Did I miss the devaluation of the dollar? Are they quoting prices in pesos? Am I the only cheapskate that thinks this kind of increase is rediculous?

Yes, I know I'm really much too poor to be playing in this league (ergo the 1984 Formula 402 and not an Apache), but it seems that the prices have gone from high to absurd. I think the 46' Cigarette is a nice boat, but $750k is pretty ludicrous.

-Greg
Old 05-18-2002, 12:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You are not alone.

It must be that they learned how to make structural gold.
Old 05-18-2002, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs down

I agree with you 100%

That is why I buy my boats two years old. Let the first guy take the big hit. That way I can buy more boat for the same $$$.
Damn near new at 2/3 the price.
Old 05-18-2002, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For new boats, are we talking retail or "out the door". We were forced into buying new because we couldn't get what we wanted used. I would not by a new boat unless they knocked 25% off. That makes the referenced $400K boat actually $300K.
Old 05-18-2002, 01:37 PM
Registered

I dont think anyone pays the list price in the magazines. Go to Fountains web site and use the boat configurator and come up with a price. Then go to traderonline and look at what the dealers are asking for the same new boat. Its 25%-30% less.

A new 27 with 500efi power list out over 100K on the website but the dealers are asking around 80K. Im sure bargining will get more off.

Ron
Old 05-18-2002, 02:01 PM
jb
Registered

Look at it another way, I agree with the 300k stuff being wacko.....BUT 80k for a 27' Fountain, or even any 27' boat. Thats frickin nuts!
Sometimes my friends and I will have a conversation and actually say this or that boat "ONLY" cost 90k. We are so brainwashed into believing everything is sooo expensive, that anything under 100k is actually a good deal!
I am not rich or poor, but I remember in the early 90's *****in about a car costin me 8k, and then the following weekend buying my 32k Wellcraft like I got a killer smokin deal. How stupid are we.
Old 05-18-2002, 02:48 PM
Registered

In the past, I've bought new boats and always took a major bath at trade-in time. My last new boat purchase will be my last. There's just way too much value on the used boat market.
Old 05-18-2002, 03:32 PM
Registered

Thumbs down Re: Did I miss something or am I just cheap?

Originally posted by GregP
I was looking through my new issue of Powerboat last night and wondering when the economy doubled? My salary sure didn't, and either did the stock market (at least not the part I've got).

I "used" to think a nice 35-40' offshore was in the low $200's, with trick power bumping it to the 3's. Now it seems that everything is $400,000, give or take a little. Did I miss the devaluation of the dollar? Are they quoting prices in pesos? Am I the only cheapskate that thinks this kind of increase is rediculous?

Yes, I know I'm really much too poor to be playing in this league (ergo the 1984 Formula 402 and not an Apache), but it seems that the prices have gone from high to absurd. I think the 46' Cigarette is a nice boat, but $750k is pretty ludicrous.

-Greg
Your not cheap, the prices are WAY out of control!
Old 05-18-2002, 04:46 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only pay MSRP for Harleys. They are over priced too, but at least you are talking 15-22k.
Old 05-18-2002, 06:12 PM
Registered

I love to see the prices of new boats shoot thru the roof. It means that all the boats we currently own hold value and become a very attractive alternative.

Quick Reply: Did I miss something or am I just cheap?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.