Notices

need a little engine help

Old 01-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need a little engine help

So I go to fire up the boat the other day and I got gas spraying all over the bilge. After looking around I see that it is come from the fuel rail just after the the fuel pressure regulator. I pull the upper manifold off and now I have a few questions for you engine guys:
1) does the fuel pressure regulator separate from the fuel line/ fuel rail?
2) It looks like the fuel rail separates from the "fuel pipe", is this the case?
3) are the injectors secured by any kind of fitting / fasteners? Will they need to be removed?
4) if so, how fragile are the injectors?
There will probably be many more once this is said and done but I thank you in advance. If anybody has any parts sitting on a "donor engine" please let me know. I need to get out of this cheap and spring break is right around the corner.

Engine specs:
1999 7.4 Volvo
7.4gipwtr
serial - 4110176452

Here is the diagram... The parts that I'll probably need will be #20 & #8
http://www.volvopentastore.com/mall/.../12601_big.gif

thanks,
Aaron
Old 01-27-2011, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The injectors are fastened by a rubber gromet, both to the block and the fuel rail. You need to pull them out kind of carefully to make sure it doesn't rip the rubber. This is an automotive answer, I would assume its the same with a marine, haven't been there yet though.....Good luck!
Old 01-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Registered

ok, so I got the fuel rail assembly taken out and it looks like I need a fuel pressure regulator and a fuel rail. Not sure if there is a direct swap from another engine but here are the part numbers:
fuel pressure reg: 3808522
Fuel Rail: 3857692
I know someone has a blown engine laying around that wants to get rid of parts off.
Thanks,
Aaron
Old 01-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Registered

Default Fixx

Originally Posted by alindquist
ok, so I got the fuel rail assembly taken out and it looks like I need a fuel pressure regulator and a fuel rail. Not sure if there is a direct swap from another engine but here are the part numbers:
fuel pressure reg: 3808522
Fuel Rail: 3857692
I know someone has a blown engine laying around that wants to get rid of parts off.
Thanks,
Aaron
if youe going to replace just the one side do both,,usually the other will most likely go also..word of advise,,make sure you replace ALL the orings on the injectors while their out,they get flat spots in them and will leak..

go to the swap shop and ask and post wanted Fuel rails,you will get a better response their..
Old 01-28-2011, 05:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
if youe going to replace just the one side do both,,usually the other will most likely go also..word of advise,,make sure you replace ALL the orings on the injectors while their out,they get flat spots in them and will leak..

go to the swap shop and ask and post wanted Fuel rails,you will get a better response their..
I'll post in the swap shop too, the fuel rail on this engine runs down the center of the intake so there is only 1 fuel rail... I have every intention of replacing the injector o-rings. I may even have all the injects rebuilt considering that they are out and at this point it wouldn't be much more work to send them out.