Notices

Octane levels...??

Old 02-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by James
I have an electronic octane test machine. I have found that after testing more than 60 separate tests that gasoline sold at the pump has 1 - 1.5 more octane than is the Minimum rating suggested on the pump. Gasoline tested from 7-11 last week, I purchased 89 octane was actually 90.5 octane when tested. Out of 60 test including Exxon, Shell, Sunoco, Mom & Pops little store, Marina etc... I have never had less that 1 octane above what is written on the pump, and if your read the pump carefully it states that that is the "minimum" octane rating. I went to the auto parts store and purchased a bottle of everything they had on the shelf to increase octane. I can tell you it takes a lot of "booster" to increase a gallon 1 point and ton of "booster" to increase the octane one number. I have gasoline being tested that is more than 1 1/2 years old from the purchase date, left purposely in sealed and unsealed containers. Each test has lost no octane over the period. Understand that the fuel may have lost volatiles that make it hard to start, smell bad etc...but it has not lost octane. These fuels also contain 10% ethanol.
Great info. Out of curiosity... How do you know that your machine is calibrated correctly and is giving an accurate reading? Sounds like you have been at this a while.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an electronic octane test machine. I have found that after testing more than 60 separate tests that gasoline sold at the pump has 1 - 1.5 more octane than is the Minimum rating suggested on the pump. Gasoline tested from 7-11 last week, I purchased 89 octane was actually 90.5 octane when tested. Out of 60 test including Exxon, Shell, Sunoco, Mom & Pops little store, Marina etc... I have never had less that 1 octane above what is written on the pump, and if your read the pump carefully it states that that is the "minimum" octane rating. I went to the auto parts store and purchased a bottle of everything they had on the shelf to increase octane. I can tell you it takes a lot of "booster" to increase a gallon 1 point and ton of "booster" to increase the octane one number. I have gasoline being tested that is more than 1 1/2 years old from the purchase date, left purposely in sealed and unsealed containers. Each test has lost no octane over the period. Understand that the fuel may have lost volatiles that make it hard to start, smell bad etc...but it has not lost octane. These fuels also contain 10% ethanol.
What have you found with 100LL Av gas?
Thanks
Old 02-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HUSTLEthis
What have you found with 100LL Av gas?
Thanks
+1 on this question. I run 100LL Av gas in a Ford 460 high compression hot rod and it does great.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

James thanks for the great information, where can you purchase this octane tester?
Old 02-01-2011, 02:15 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I can not test fuel with lead, 100LL and some race fuels can not be tested for this reason with this machine. Calibration is always and issues, to be sure I'm correct I have a stack of bibles, my fingers crossed and plenty of beer for emergencies.

This machine has a self calibration cycle and to be sure it is sent back to the lab each year for calibration assurance.

As an example the booster "104 Octane" is in fact 104 octane, put that 1 pint bottle of 104 octane booster into a gallon of 89 octane gas and and you will have a blend of the two corrected for volume.

A great additive to increase octane is water, down side is that it does not burn so well.
Old 02-01-2011, 02:19 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I missed you post baja27, I'll get the company info, this little gadget is about $ 12,000.00
Old 02-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe order yourself some isooctane from the local lab supply place. Should read 100 and you could do your own calibrations anytime you want.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:29 AM
Registered

Where did you get the electronic test machine.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:27 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

I have gasoline being tested that is more than 1 1/2 years old from the purchase date, left purposely in sealed and unsealed containers. Each test has lost no octane over the period. Understand that the fuel may have lost volatiles that make it hard to start, smell bad etc...but it has not lost octane. These fuels also contain 10% ethanol.
This is interesting to know because I have always heard that fuel will lose octane points over time.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:11 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I will dig up the manufactuer of the machine, I believe the cost was $ 12,000.00 or so.

Rumor mill was very strong leading me to believe that Ethanol made gas go bad and the result was reduced Octane. I had several engine failures, so rather than buy more engines I tested fuel.

The only guys that really care about Octane are the aircraft and boat owners, a car on the track with 14:1 is already buy fuel, and he is only buring 20 gallons so cost and availibility is not an issue. FAA has very few rules regarding the age of gasoline, of course purge and check for water before climbing in.

I was so sure someone was trying to screw me selling me "bad" gas that I purchased this machine. Fact is that I have yet to find any gas that is less than advertized Octane. I have gone to some gas stations where a second person has to watch your back while fueling, and still the fuel is as advertized.

I have looked for and found old lawn mowers, gas smells foul, but the octane is 87 +, of course I do not know what or when the fuel was put in the tank, nor to I believe that any equipment would run with this old gas, but the octane is ok.

To get a good pump test I pre-purge the fuel line, pump 4 gallons through the pump into the car, then fill a 1 gallon container for testing to help insure I'm getting the gas paid for and not fuel left in the line from the previous use.

Lessons learned -

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.