I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed.ethanol >

I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed.ethanol

Notices

I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed.ethanol

Old 02-02-2011, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed.ethanol

So, There is a stabilizer for ethanol. Why don't they blend in the stabilizer so everyone doesn't have to worry so much?

I R a happy camper because I finally rigged up a system to pump the gas out of my boat into my car! 1 down and 3 to go in my Suburban! Got caught with almost a full tank!
Old 02-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Registered

Make more money if they can sell you another 100 gallons
Old 02-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

My marina adds it to their gas.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by pachanga
So, There is a stabilizer for ethanol. Why don't they blend in the stabilizer so everyone doesn't have to worry so much?

They do, and they do!

ValveTec Marine fuel has the stabilizer blended right in when you buy it, needs to be a certified ValveTec Marina. You can also buy the additive and add it on your own. I've run it for the past two seasons with no issues. Odd thing is that in my area it has been less money than the non treated at some of the other marinas.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Registered

I was thinking more or less on the lines the refiners should be stabilizing the fuel.

I have also added the stuff to my fuel...but is hard to trust it.

I can remember the good ole days from years ago...finding an ole car out in a pasture that had been sitting for years...with a little persuasion many could be started with the old gas in their tanks!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Registered

Refiners make fuel for the mass market - which is cars, most of which do not sit and now have 'closed' tanks, therefore little to no breathing and moisture accumulation.

Boats are a tiny little part of the market.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Registered

With Food Prices Rising Maybe We Should Harvest Our God Given Oil For Gas
Old 02-04-2011, 07:32 AM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I spent some time with the chemical engineer from one of the top additive company's. We have had the discussion of stabilizing E10 fuel. You can only stabilize the base components of the fuel. The problem lies with the Ethanol. You can not stabilize that part. This part,(10%) is the oxygenator and octane. So yes leave 100 gallons of fuel in your tank for the winter, stabilize it, then in the spring your fuel has lost all it's Ethanol {(primarily to evaporation) (this is the issue I was focused on)} meaning if you put 93 octane fuel in the tank it is now 83 octane and will not have the oxygen content to burn and produce energy properly. Oh wait! did you only put 87 octane? Now around 77 octane. Most do not realize the engine will run ans not bad but if you push something on this fuel is where catastrophic occur due to fuel. So none of my customers have had Ethanol related issues but, I pump the tanks dry.

If you find your self in this type of situation do not use chemical additives to boost your octane. Find yourself E85 fuel and add 10%. It will get you close with compatible chemical make up.

This is an issue for fuel systems that are vented to atmosphere. Sealed systems are just that ,sealed. No loss due to evaporation.

I will leave phase separation to another thread.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you not use chemical additives? Is it because it just take so much additive to raise the octane?
Old 02-05-2011, 05:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrv8outboard
I spent some time with the chemical engineer from one of the top additive company's. We have had the discussion of stabilizing E10 fuel. You can only stabilize the base components of the fuel. The problem lies with the Ethanol. You can not stabilize that part. This part,(10%) is the oxygenator and octane. So yes leave 100 gallons of fuel in your tank for the winter, stabilize it, then in the spring your fuel has lost all it's Ethanol {(primarily to evaporation) (this is the issue I was focused on)} meaning if you put 93 octane fuel in the tank it is now 83 octane and will not have the oxygen content to burn and produce energy properly. Oh wait! did you only put 87 octane? Now around 77 octane. Most do not realize the engine will run ans not bad but if you push something on this fuel is where catastrophic occur due to fuel. So none of my customers have had Ethanol related issues but, I pump the tanks dry.

If you find your self in this type of situation do not use chemical additives to boost your octane. Find yourself E85 fuel and add 10%. It will get you close with compatible chemical make up.

This is an issue for fuel systems that are vented to atmosphere. Sealed systems are just that ,sealed. No loss due to evaporation.

I will leave phase separation to another thread.
Lots of good info there. Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.