Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Winter's here, new amp's in the cruiser? >

Winter's here, new amp's in the cruiser?

Notices

Winter's here, new amp's in the cruiser?

Old 02-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Winter's here, new amp's in the cruiser?

Ok stereo guys.

I know the brand vs. brand thing has been done a billion times, so that is not really what I'm looking for.

I plan to run JL Audio HD amp's. Have a HD300/4v2 in the car, and I'm really pleased with that.

The basic question is. Does anyone know if there is a bennefit from running the marine amp's compared to the normal HD amp's? In other words. What is the diff.? I've emailed JL about it, but no answer.

Thanks
Old 02-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good choice Razor. There is a coating on the circuit boards for moisture resistance. Sometimes the little cabinets seal different or hardware is slightly different. I run the marine version because mine are under the helm station on the bridge. If I were putting them in the cabin I doubt it would matter much. Lots of guys are having good luck with the five channel MHD 900/5. I have a M400/4 and a M600/1. The new M series are the marine version of the XD series. Very very small size but not much less power. I'm running four 7.7 components and two 10 inch subs. Sounds good.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:41 PM
Registered

Default Jl Audio

Forgot to mention. Check JL's page on Facebook. They respond there real regular.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gare
Good choice Razor. There is a coating on the circuit boards for moisture resistance. Sometimes the little cabinets seal different or hardware is slightly different. I run the marine version because mine are under the helm station on the bridge. If I were putting them in the cabin I doubt it would matter much. Lots of guys are having good luck with the five channel MHD 900/5. I have a M400/4 and a M600/1. The new M series are the marine version of the XD series. Very very small size but not much less power. I'm running four 7.7 components and two 10 inch subs. Sounds good

Forgot to mention. Check JL's page on Facebook. They respond there real regular.
Hey thanks for the respnse. Very usefull. Sounds like you have a real nice system going on there. Plan is to start with the outside area, and use Focal Polyglass or K2 speakers. I've been thinking about using ordenary home stereo speakers for the cabin and stateroom. B&W has some nice wallmount stuff. But I'm not sure about that yet.

Will check out the facebook. Maybe that's why they are slow on the email.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 02-05-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
Hey thanks for the respnse. Very usefull. Sounds like you have a real nice system going on there. Plan is to start with the outside area, and use Focal Polyglass or K2 speakers. I've been thinking about using ordenary home stereo speakers for the cabin and stateroom. B&W has some nice wallmount stuff. But I'm not sure about that yet.

Will check out the facebook. Maybe that's why they are slow on the email.
Not sure about K2's , but you'll love the polyglass.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Registered

I have listened to both, and yes, the polyglass are great speakers for sure. Personally I think there is a difference. The K2 KRX2 are really nice to listen to and look at, but a bit pricey. It might be a bit of a wife decision, too
Old 02-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

If you don't have to worry about them getting wet at all, then go with automotive amps. They are less $$$ for the power that you get.

I run automotive Alpine PDX's and they have been in the boat for 3 years. Mounted under the rear seat and well protected from water.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
If you don't have to worry about them getting wet at all, then go with automotive amps. They are less $$$ for the power that you get.

I run automotive Alpine PDX's and they have been in the boat for 3 years. Mounted under the rear seat and well protected from water.

That's my thought exactly. A buck saved on the boat, is a buck less down the boatowner's moneyeater, and that's a hungry mofo.
I haven't got the price for the JL's yet, hopefully today. But I don't think the JL marinized HD's are that much more than the standard HD's. I have plenty of dry space for the amp's. My problem is, that the boat is in saltwater, so alot of salt in the air. Do you boat in fresh, salt or both?

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 02-07-2011 at 04:07 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Registered

Well, in the old boat I had amps under the helm in a 20' bowrider. Boated in salt for 5 years, owned them for 11 years. Never any problem. I'd think it's not an issue if they don't get salt spray.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:24 PM
Registered

The newer higher dollar amps can take it in a boat unless you have them sitting in the rain.
I just bought a Alpine PDX F6 amp and a couple pairs of Polk Audio MM691's 6x9's. Already have a another amp for the two sub's and one more amp for some more side speakers.
It's going to rock. Can't wait to fire it up.
Spec's on the Alpine F6 is awsome.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.