Top speed /Cruise speed for... >

Top speed /Cruise speed for...

Notices

Top speed /Cruise speed for...

Old 02-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sheer Insanity
Thanks. I have been researching the Outlaws but still no exact #'s. My guess from what I have found it should top out between 65-70 mph. The baja is 6900 lbs so maybe it will touch 70?

Have you had any problems with your 6.2's? I hear they are efficent and very reliable with bravos behind them?

I wanted faster but for the price I might enjoy this one for a while and save up cash.

Baja and the word efficient do not go together. 70 mph, you're dreaming. a 30 with 375hp mags barely runs 70.
It'll run 70 mph behind a truck.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the owner of a 29 outlaw, I will say that you WILL NOT touch 70 with those engines. My 29 will run 65.2 mph on GPS with twin 330hp 7.4s turning 23p mirage plus props at 4500rpm. To help you I have posted a link to a prev thread in the Baja forum.

Hope this helps

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/b...6-2-speed.html
Old 02-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob, Did you sell the 28' MAGNUM MALTESE !!! "HIGH LIFE"
Old 02-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Registered

I wanted faster but for the price I might enjoy this one for a while and save up cash.
I'm curious, what's the asking price on the 04 30 Outlaw?
You have a higher allowance than I have for my purchase and I've struggled finding a quality boat within my budget. I've been unwilling to finance any portion of my, new to me, boat. But now I'm reconsidering raising it. If I could find the right unit I'd probably look at a 5 to 7 year loan on about 30 percent of the sales price.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Registered

I dont get why 377ci is only making 320hp?? Does anyone know these motors? Will Tuning, head work and a larger cam make more power? They should at least make a hp per ci or closer.. How about a blower? Also, could I get a couple more mph with 23 or 24 pitch props and sacrafice a little out of the hole?

Posted by Eddie in 2008. Same boat as 2004.

2008 Baja Sales Handbook:

6.2 = 22 pitch props and 62 -66

375 hp = 26 pitch props and 68 - 73

425hp = 26 pitch props and 74 - 78

525hp = lab 30 and 83 - 87

600hp = lab 33 and 92 - 95

Truthfully I dont think I can go wrong buying a mint cond. barely used 30 with 6.2s for 45-50 grand on a triple axle trailer. I will take a little longer to get there but will have it paid of in a year or two.

Last edited by Sheer Insanity; 02-08-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Registered

62-66 mph is a couple mph short of the 650-675 hp Kryptonite 29 or the 650 hp Pantera 28 I was thinking about, and twice the boat structurally with a lot more room, Newer, alot more luxury and if I break a motor I can limp home while passing them anchored waiting for seatow... and get it repaired for much less!

After researching for hours,... days for me quality and reliability is better than a few mph and burying myself in debt.

Last edited by Sheer Insanity; 02-08-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=Sheer Insanity;3319412]Hey Kelly,

Im not ignoring you but want to keep details quite until I see if this deal goes through. The boat I am interested I dont believe is on market, its a i know someone that knows someone deal. /QUOTE]
Old 02-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

62-66 mph is a couple mph short of the 650-675 hp Kryptonite 29 or the 650 hp Pantera 28 I was thinking about, and twice the boat structurally with a lot more room, Newer, alot more luxury and if I break a motor I can limp home while passing them anchored waiting for seatow... and get it repaired for much less!

After researching for hours,... days for me quality and reliability is better than a few mph and burying myself in debt.
A few things to think about, I think you are getting your goals and budget more in line. The Baja will more than likely be easier to maintain, better on fuel, and certainly more luxurious. However, I disagree that it is twice the boat structurally. A Pantera is a much stronger boat, and if you boat in real snotty conditions, it will hold up better than the Baja. I think the Baja is a great choice for maximizing space, reliability and budget. Be prepared to hold on to it forever, or take a beating when it's time to sell, the small blocks will be a turn-off to most people.

I don't think it's a good boat if you plan on modding it and trying to up the performance. Just enjoy it as is and be a few MPH slower.

The biggest reason you don't see many HP small blocks is the lack of torque and general cost to build vs BB. I'm not saying it's impossible, but when you figure in the cost of the items you listed above (head work, cams, etc.) you could have big blocks. In the end if you dump 10G's into the motors, the boat will have no more value than when you started, IMHO.

Just a few things to think about...

Keep us posted on the search!
Old 02-09-2011, 10:45 AM
Registered

Truthfully I dont think I can go wrong buying a mint cond. barely used 30 with 6.2s for 45-50 grand on a triple axle trailer. I will take a little longer to get there but will have it paid of in a year or two.
I didn't feel that you were ignoring me at all. I think the unit your looking at sounds like an awesome deal!!!
I've been trying to find a 38 to 47 sport cruiser with a 50k max budget. I'm interacting very well right now with the seller of a mid 90's 38. I look at boats on all the websites once or twice a week but when I see an asking price of 65 or over I don't even click on it.
Your boat sounds like a great chance to put 50% down and carry a 60 month payment on. The monthly charge would be less than the payment on my wifes suburban.
Turbo made me laugh at myself too when he made his first post about your objectives. I've been so wishy-washy about what my top priorities truly are it reminded me about myself with your first top priorities, speed!!!
Good luck with your seller, it sounds like a good deal to me.

See ya,
Kelly
Old 02-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you had any problems with your 6.2's? I hear they are efficent and very reliable with bravos behind them?
They have been very reliable. 230 hours and the only problem has been IAC (Idle Air Control) valves. One on each engine failed. Nothing to do with the engine. They go out on 496's as well. I carry a spare now!

The engines have been turn-key reliable and fuel efficient, but the 6.2 platform is not good for performance upgrades. The heads, intake and fuel system really restrict the engine. So if you do any upgrades you are looking at cam, heads, intake, fuel injection, exhaust, etc.. and by that time you should be looking at piston upgrades. Plus the stock oil pan only holds 4.5 quarts...

My plan is to run these 6.2's until they wear out (or close to it) then upgrade to marinized big inch LS engines. I imagine in the coming years we will see more and more LS marine engine packages becoming available.