Notices

How Fast is 180 mph?

Old 02-12-2011, 07:26 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
High insurance for cats started right after an accident on the Chesapeake bay, if i remember correctly that accident sent the insurance company into bankruptcy... very sad day.

Ed Mossmiller was his name. He was running a turbine powered cat and it was reported that 176 mph was what was on the tattle-tale. Unfortunately for the families, the accident happened in February. It took a long time to find the passenger due to the coldnes of the water. Bill Butler was the insurer, a very nice guy and fellow OSO'er. Went by the name of Risk Taker.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:28 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lost many friends and people in the sport between 03 and 06. I think 6 i knew personally. One about an hour he left my fuel docks. Tough stuff. Everything changes after 90-100. I've run 160ish in an MTI, driving. Thats fast boys
Old 02-12-2011, 07:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by DollaBill
I've run 160ish in an MTI, driving. Thats fast boys
Which MTI was that? That is fast!
Old 02-12-2011, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
High insurance for cats started right after an accident on the Chesapeake bay, if i remember correctly that accident sent the insurance company into bankruptcy... very sad day.

they wont put limits on open water, but as with insurance they will make it that anyone that chooses to do it is going to pay through the nose for it. insurance did it with muscle cars, and for quite a few years only the uber rich will be able to afford the 175 plus boats.
i talked to his brother the other day and you can still hear the sorrow

Last edited by PowerplayDave; 02-12-2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HotPursuit
31 yrs and many 100+ hulls,, over 150 for the last 12!! Never get use to IT. It amazes me when i give people a ride and they say we only went 140!! I just look and smile.. I have had a few high speed crashes and at high speeds H20 becomes very solid!!!! and no I have never hurt anyone else. That speeding ticket was very painful!!!
Man Kieth do you have that baby dialed in!

I can totally relate with the passenger comments,,," We only ran 140mph "
Other than Rudy our engine builder there is only one other person that ever ran as a passenger with me at over 150mph in our rig.

Agree with it or not 180+mph seems to be the new magic # for big power wide body pleasure cats like the 388s .We have one next store to us that ran between 178 and 182gps all Summer long here on the upper Chesapeake..And they are turning up the wick this season with a higher gear ratio and a few more lbs of boost.
They know the risks as we all do and like ourselves only make high speed runs during the week when the Bay has zero traffic and low winds .

I ran 185 one time in my Lamborghini a few years back on a deserted straight a way on I 83. I would love to have a rig that could do that on the water.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:09 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldSchool
Which MTI was that? That is fast!
You know whats funny Craig? I couldnt tell you. I was Miami talking to Woodsie and Randy S and next thing I know I was at Phils getting in the boat. It was orange/red. 44 I think with 1200-1500 sterlings I think. Too many boats man. Just a blur
Old 02-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PARADISE ISLAND
I'm watch Daytona car racing right now 196 mph average speed 203-205mph cars!Fastest speds in years new track surface is the reason.
What channel?
Old 02-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Something to consider, http://boatermouth.com//index.php?vi...ntent&Itemid=8.

We seem to toss this number around pretty casually these days.
Wow!!! Great article Kind of makes you stop and think and you are right, everyone talks about big speed like it is no big deal. Well I'm just a little guy and even running at 73mph is moving. I mean that is faster then the freeway speed limit. Now don't get me wrong I would love to be able to break the 100mph mark someday and won't turn down a ride in a fast boat with experienced drivers. Well I'm sure we will keep pushing the envolope because it is human natural to want to have nicer, be fast, and out do everyone else. Well good luck to all of you big power guy and please just be safe because us little guys really enjoy watching you run buy at 120+, what a site

Last edited by Wet-N-Wild; 02-12-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

I went 155 in my 928 on a flat smooth 2 lane road with no traffic and no intersections and i loved it. I probably did it 8- 10 times only on this deserted strech of road. I sold my Porsche 20 years ago and have not been over 120 since. I love to run my boat 70-75 mph but i only do that in very uncrowded waters. There are too many people that don't know what they are doing and even at 70 you can not evade those who are going to get in your path. Take care at high speed and have fun. One day I would love to go 100+ on the water under the right conditions.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:52 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Have you ever seen two boats running 150 mph parallel to another with 100 yards of separation? I've seen that at several poker runs...
That is one reason that although I pay to enter Poker Runs in respect to the organizers I do not however run with the pack usually leaving way after anyone else or way before. Anyone that has been with me on a PR knows that when the pack leaves I usually wait 30-60 seconds before leaving in order to control everything and any boats remotely around me if I am there at all on those mass start.

Here is an example of a run I left way after the start on the Hudson, caught the pack and was way,,,way to the right of everyone else when I went by anyone running slower than we were. I would NEVER run in close quarters.

http://www.vimeo.com/7018240

another view..

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx9YHulMUfw[/YOUTUBE]

I also do not stop at any the card stops due to proximity of other boats and unpredictability of just a lot of boat in one area. Experience has taught me that.

As for competing or running against anyone else I have no interest whatsoever, the only person I am trying to impress is myself.

These are rules I set for myself in order not to mess anyone else up if I wipe myself out.

Apart from that if there are any pontificaters of legislation relating this here they can go f-themselves, there are enough unenforced rules on the books... Look at Lake Winnie,, in NH they have a 45 MPH speed limit and there are more boats that run over 90 on that lake than any other in New England... sure making rules works.... my azz!

In my best Forrest Gump drawl... "That's all I have to say about that!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.