Notices

How Fast is 180 mph?

Old 02-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ar300johnson
I went 155 in my 928 on a flat smooth 2 lane road with no traffic and no intersections and i loved it. I probably did it 8- 10 times only on this deserted strech of road. I sold my Porsche 20 years ago and have not been over 120 since. I love to run my boat 70-75 mph but i only do that in very uncrowded waters. There are too many people that don't know what they are doing and even at 70 you can not evade those who are going to get in your path. Take care at high speed and have fun. One day I would love to go 100+ on the water under the right conditions.
Eerie similarities. I too had a 155mph car--Jaguar XJ12L. I took it out in west Texas on the Interstate. I had a 100mph boat that I ran on Lake Lewisville as far away from other boats as I could get. Very few boats run 100 on that lake because it's only 25,000 acres and a lot of that is unsuitable for anything over 60.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I never thought it would be the case but I actually feel safer and more comfortable in my boat then any of my cars over 150 mph.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Registered

Received 3,010 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
I never thought it would be the case but I actually feel safer and more comfortable in my boat then any of my cars over 150 mph.
I was out testing with matt and the PBM crew. I had the pleasure of running the DCB at 170 with Bob Teague at the wheel and my wife in the back seat....

Ive been over 190mph in a lambo Diablo and over 160mph on a ducati and I can say that 170 in a boat compare to nothing I've ever experienced. The "pucker factor" is un-speakable even with the excellent handling capabilities of the DCB. and to add to that, the scary thing is the bigger the boat the more comfy you are because at 150 in John Woodruff's 48 MTI it was like a cadi and I was looking back asking how they were doing in the back seat and watching the rooster (refer To my blog) like it was no thang.

I'll be writing a full blog on the awesome M31 DCB with 1350's and M8's and the beautiful 32 Spectre with ilmor Cobras and Indy drives.

I'll exit with this..speed is the ultimate aphrodisiac!

Last edited by thisistank; 02-12-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
That is one reason that although I pay to enter Poker Runs in respect to the organizers I do not however run with the pack usually leaving way after anyone else or way before. Anyone that has been with me on a PR knows that when the pack leaves I usually wait 30-60 seconds before leaving in order to control everything and any boats remotely around me if I am there at all on those mass start.

Here is an example of a run I left way after the start on the Hudson, caught the pack and was way,,,way to the right of everyone else when I went by anyone running slower than we were. I would NEVER run in close quarters.

http://www.vimeo.com/7018240

another view..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx9YHulMUfw

I also do not stop at any the card stops due to proximity of other boats and unpredictability of just a lot of boat in one area. Experience has taught me that.

As for competing or running against anyone else I have no interest whatsoever, the only person I am trying to impress is myself.

These are rules I set for myself in order not to mess anyone else up if I wipe myself out.

Apart from that if there are any pontificaters of legislation relating this here they can go f-themselves, there are enough unenforced rules on the books... Look at Lake Winnie,, in NH they have a 45 MPH speed limit and there are more boats that run over 90 on that lake than any other in New England... sure making rules works.... my azz!

In my best Forrest Gump drawl... "That's all I have to say about that!"
I find it interesting you do not stop at card stops. I have been on boat runs with the Atlanta Hot Boat Club and had a great time, but never a porker run. We want to go to a few this year, but the one thing that concerns me is the video I have seen of others running 5 to 10 feet apart at high speeds in these poker runs with lots of testosterone pulsing through their veins trying to see who is can be first. It just looks a little unsafe. You go to hang out with people and enjoy the parties? How many boats actually have actually mixed it up in these runs in past years?
Old 02-13-2011, 07:09 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic
...You go to hang out with people and enjoy the parties?...
Yup... Something like that...

Old 02-13-2011, 07:13 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic
How many boats actually have actually mixed it up in these runs in past years?
I don't know but I decided to act in PR so as not to be one of them...

When they have mixed it up it has usually been catastrophic...
Old 02-13-2011, 07:36 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

It's definitely something to respect, over 150 mph, been there and done that....
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 180 mph ..

Hi,

Speedlimits are popping up everywhere. They are trying to impose a 40 mph speed limit along the coast line of Norway. Above that you have to leave for offshore. And than I mean offshore. The people causing this problems are people driving at night, without lanterns and lifejackets in 60 mph. Drunk, wasted. Not the high speed boats, which are not that many in Norway.

The fastest I have driven in a boat is approx. 100 mph in a Motion Cat, although I have friends who have driven 172 mph in a Nortech 36. But it looks more fun to drive a Thundercat with a 50 hp at 70 mph really. Check this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZLRg...embedded#at=27

However, the most deadly fast I have done is 1 mach ++ in a F14 Tomcat in 1994. 700 feet above the sea.... Yezz.

Cheeers and safe boating, Toffen

Last edited by Toffen; 02-13-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:21 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WildWarrior
Man Kieth do you have that baby dialed in!

I can totally relate with the passenger comments,,," We only ran 140mph "
Other than Rudy our engine builder there is only one other person that ever ran as a passenger with me at over 150mph in our rig.

Agree with it or not 180+mph seems to be the new magic # for big power wide body pleasure cats like the 388s .We have one next store to us that ran between 178 and 182gps all Summer long here on the upper Chesapeake..And they are turning up the wick this season with a higher gear ratio and a few more lbs of boost.
They know the risks as we all do and like ourselves only make high speed runs during the week when the Bay has zero traffic and low winds .

I ran 185 one time in my Lamborghini a few years back on a deserted straight a way on I 83. I would love to have a rig that could do that on the water.
Yes it is!!!
Old 02-13-2011, 10:33 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

someone dies every 16 minutes in a car wreak !!! Usely because of someone texting or f**king with something they shouldnt be doing while driving!!!!!
I like speed the faster the better and will try to run out front and make every stop we can.
I see a lot of non paying spectators show up at poker runs just to take advantage of all the hard work and money spent by everyone else!!
I get sick of all the crying,,if your scared of death say home and lock yourself in a room!! It will still find you some day.
That said i believe in safety first no drinking while driving and use a little common sense!! And for god sacks if you have never owned a high performance boat dont start with the fastest one just because you can!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.