Mercury's New Test site in Fl.... >

Mercury's New Test site in Fl....

Notices

Mercury's New Test site in Fl....

Old 05-17-2002, 07:00 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Mercury's New Test site in Fl....

Mercury is having a tough time getting a permit to build a 30 something slip test facility on property it owns!
http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/Today_...ay_s_news.html
Have a nice day,
MD
Old 05-17-2002, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep, there they go again with the infernal seagrass.
I guess you don't really own any land in FL if big guv'ment says what you may do with it.
Old 05-17-2002, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll lay odds that DEP will eventually approve that permit.

I have problem that's keeping me from putting a boat lift in behind my house in Wakulla County (Florida). It seems that someone holding a vaguely written quit-claim deed is now claiming that he owns the 40 year-old man-made canals in my neighborhood. Gee, dumb me. I figured that these submerged lands were owned by the State of Florida. DEP says no, the state doesn't own any man-made canals in developments, but often times they do belong to the county or city. Also, DEP says sorry, but you and everyone else with applications for permit to construct in the disputed canals must withdraw their applications until such time the ownership issue is resolved. Efforts to "Quiet the Title" are underway. Bottom line is no boat lift for the Magnum this summer and uncertainty as to construction in the canal in the future.

Lesson learned: You need to know exactly who owns the body of water of the upland property you are considering before you buy. It's much easier to deal with the DEP, DNR, and Army Corps than some dick-head that probably wants to extort money from you for usage of your waterfront property.
Old 05-17-2002, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Forrest,
That brings up something I heard on the news yesterday.

Apparently somewhere in the Area(Don't remember exactly, but I think Tampa) a privateer has been buying up dozens of waterfront underwater land rights.

Something I did not know, but in many locales around here the portion of underwater land in front of your seawall(appx 10-20ft) is deeded seperately from the land lot. Well, in most situation the two are tied together when you buy waterfront property, you should be buying both.

Well, there's a certain clause that states if you are deliquent more than two years on your property taxes, what happens in essence is that you forfeit your underwater land rights as a first means for the city to collect and it goes up for auction...usually really chaep.

Well, one such swindler has been buying up these underwater lots and holding onto them until the house is bought and sold. Little does the new homeowner know, but when he goes to put up a dock for example, in comes Mister Swindler and offers to sell back the underwater rights for $100,000 dollars or more.

If you refuse to buy it, too bad, up goes a fence and No Trespassing sign.

Buyer Beware!
Old 05-17-2002, 03:55 PM
Registered

I heard about that as well...do your homework and watch your a$$!
Old 05-19-2002, 01:04 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Forrest,
That sucks! When I had our dock "Mod'd" last year, I was told by the marine contractor that all the canals/bottom belongs to the state, and that you don't need a permit, UNLESS you touch the bottom of the canal, (New pylons, etc). Our dock and canal front is deeded with our property, so I guess we are lucky that way! I wish you the best of luck, and check out these websites to see if they can help out
www.standing-watch.org
www.cfwbrevard.org
BTW, what kind of Magnum do you have? Magnums have been my dream boat for a long time!!
MD
Old 05-19-2002, 08:20 PM
Banned

The same swindler who bought the underwater property also bought a lake in a subdivision for $900, and is trying to blackmail the property owners on the lake for $30,000.00 each. They didn't pay, and the last I heard friday, he was erecting an orange fence around the lake. This guy has filed bankruptcy more than once, and is a first class slimeball. I heard the FDLP is looking into violating probabtion on him for not paying restitution in some other scam of his that he was convicted of.
Old 05-20-2002, 07:11 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That slimeball was on the news in Orlando last week.
He goes around buying up property that borders various waterfront areas at a very low price and tries to sell it back to the people that live there.
I have similar property adjacent to mine. There's a retention pond behind my house but my property ends about 50 feet before the water. This is the type of property the slimeball buys up and tries to sell to the bordering homeowners for a very healthy profit. The newscaster said this guy bought property for around 1K each and was trying to sell them for 30K+ each. In one area he tried to sell the plots for 100K each.
My son in-law watched the report with me and said "one day they'll find him floating in one of his lakes".
Old 05-20-2002, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yep, that's the one!