Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   cat bounce (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/247481-cat-bounce.html)

fishinrod 02-12-2011 12:42 PM

cat bounce

Im a new member and trying to learn about cats, no experience with them but they look awesome. I just was reading up on the 31 American offshore about porpusing. they even have a review on there website from powerboat magazine. Is this something that all cats do? I know most of the big ones have tunnel tabs, is this how this problem is generally fixed. I just dont want a cat if its gonna do this everytime in flat water. Thanks for any advice.

PokerRun388 02-12-2011 01:36 PM

Cats will always have a nicer ride than any Vee hull,, however if u dont have any experience with a cat, then you mite wanna take a class and talk to others who own them for advice... Its an air-entrapment hull,, so insurance is higher for a reason..
Not all cats bounce,,, it just depends on the bottom and driver ability....Not sure what size/price range your in,, but you can start at a 25/27 or if moneys no option,, a 1+mill Skater/MTI

Just my .02......Good luck w/ your search....
always check ride/drive before buying... :drink:

offshoredrillin 02-12-2011 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by PokerRun388 (Post 3322594)
Cats will always have a nicer ride than any Vee hull,, however if u dont have any experience with a cat, then you mite wanna take a class and talk to others who own them for advice... Its an air-entrapment hull,, so insurance is higher for a reason..
Not all cats bounce,,, it just depends on the bottom and driver ability....Not sure what size/price range your in,, but you can start at a 25/27 or if moneys no option,, a 1+mill Skater/MTI

really?I'm just curious if you could please post pics of your cat and what V's you have owned in order to make this type of comment? is this from what you have read or actually experienced? please let us know your age and what other boats you have had to be giving out advice seemingly based on experience. :)

SS930 02-12-2011 01:56 PM

And there you have it...

Oh, this one should be juicy! What say you 388??? :eek:

LMAO!!!! :D

cigboat1 02-12-2011 02:05 PM

I agree with offshoredrillin; Please enlighten us ! We all would like to know if you know------- Too many pretenders !!!!!

Jim

Catastrophe 02-12-2011 02:08 PM

What they said.

wgg 02-12-2011 02:17 PM

"Days of Thunder" ... what do you know about driving a stock car "watched Espn great coverage"

PokerRun388 02-12-2011 02:19 PM

Im just giving my opinion to the question asked... If you dont agree w/ me its cool,, but you dont have to put me down and rip my comments on every post......Its just OSO talk....

Instead of putting me down, you can just simply disagree w/ me and answer the guys question based on your knowledge and experience... Im just giving my opinion based other drivers ive talked to at DS such as Teague, Tomlinson and others over the years... They all love the ride of a Cat vs. Vee

Im not saying im right,, just giving my OPINION....

.....:drink:

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-12-2011 02:25 PM

Its an air-entrapment hull,, so insurance is higher for a reason..
Oh so its the air entrapment hull thats makin my Ins so eXpensive :lolhit:

Catastrophe 02-12-2011 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by PokerRun388 (Post 3322615)
Im just giving my opinion to the question asked... If you dont agree w/ me its cool,, but you dont have to put me down and rip my comments on every post......Its just OSO talk....

Instead of putting me down, you can just simply disagree w/ me and answer the guys question based on your knowledge and experience... Im just giving my opinion based other drivers ive talked to at DS such as Teague, Tomlinson and others over the years... They all love the ride of a Cat vs. Vee

You shouldnt have an opinion because you dont know what you are talking about.

Next time you want to interject without any knowledge prefice your post like this.......................

" I talked once to a guy that actually drove a cat and he said..."

" Insurance may be more expensive.....try confirming that with someone that has owned one ( I havent , so I'm talking through my azz) "

Wet-N-Wild 02-12-2011 02:32 PM

Well said, well I have to agree with you at cat is a much better ride, but I don't have any baller friends that have a 40' vee that I have ever been able to ride, so it maybe way different then a 25' vee. All I know is from my experience a cat seems way more stable and a much smoother ride.

ElimiNordic 02-12-2011 02:35 PM

PokerRun,
I am not trying to get on your case, but people come here to OSO with questions about their boats and to get information about problems or specific issues with specific boats. You do not help anyone when you post to a thread like this or the other thread from a guy who wanted info about a Nor Tech and was looking for good, true feedback about a cat when your experience is simply reading magazines about these boats. I am sure anyone who spends time here knows who you are and they would not take your information as first person, but the danger lies in the first timer you answered about the bounce of a cat thinking you have experience about what you post here. He would not know you do not own a cat and have no boating experience and you diminish the value of forums like this. It is hard enough for someone to weed through all the different opinions of all the people who actually have owned and operated these boats without your answers to threads you know nothing about. I do not want to hurt your feelings, but add to a thread if you have true knowledge or experience that will help and do not pretend to know the answer to something specific about a Nor-tech cat. As far as your question about my 36, you have asked the same thing of me over and over again and I have answered you many times. Either you don’t read the answer or you forget, but you ask me over and over again the same thing. You will know when I go to Havasu and it will not be before the end of the month, as I am really busy at work now and do not have time. Sorry to be testy with you, but your answers to threads like this irritate me.

wot 02-12-2011 02:35 PM

Cats will always have a nicer ride than any Vee hull
true

however if u dont have any experience with a cat, then you mite wanna take a class and talk to others who own them for advice...
true

Its an air-entrapment hull,, so insurance is higher for a reason..
true

Not all cats bounce,,, it just depends on the bottom and driver ability....
maybe true

Not sure what size/price range your in,, but you can start at a 25/27 or if moneys no option,, a 1+mill Skater/MTI
true

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-12-2011 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic (Post 3322626)
PokerRun,
I am not trying to get on your case, but people come here to OSO with questions about their boats and to get information about problems or specific issues with specific boats. You do not help anyone when you post to a thread like this or the other thread from a guy who wanted info about a Nor Tech and was looking for good, true feedback about a cat when your experience is simply reading magazines about these boats. I am sure anyone who spends time here knows who you are and they would not take your information as first person, but the danger lies in the first timer you answered about the bounce of a cat thinking you have experience about what you post here. He would not know you do not own a cat and have no boating experience and you diminish the value of forums like this. It is hard enough for someone to weed through all the different opinions of all the people who actually have owned and operated these boats without your answers to threads you know nothing about. I do not want to hurt your feelings, but add to a thread if you have true knowledge or experience that will help and do not pretend to know the answer to something specific about a Nor-tech cat. As far as your question about my 36, you have asked the same thing of me over and over again and I have answered you many times. Either you don’t read the answer or you forget, but you ask me over and over again the same thing. You will know when I go to Havasu and it will not be before the end of the month, as I am really busy at work now and do not have time. Sorry to be testy with you, but your answers to threads like this irritate me.

some very good points Dan :ernaehrung004:

seafordguy 02-12-2011 02:55 PM

Poor Guy - his first post on OSO turns into this.

Fishin Rod - Try to weed through the BS - you'll figure out who knows there **** and who doesn't. Informed posts always stick out.

Welcome..

ElimiNordic 02-12-2011 03:46 PM

Welcome to OSO

Seafordguy is right. I do not know where my manners are! Welcome here Fishin Rod. You will find much good info and answers here. I recently bought a new cat and I received dozens of posts and private messages offering help and opinions that were very helpful during a stressful time trying to decide what to buy. I even had a member here offer to drive a 100 miles to help with a boat I was demo testing that was giving me a problem and we had never even met. The folks here know their stuff and are willing to help. I have v-hulls and cats and at times either type can "bounce". I just power right through this and it is gone. Don't shy away from a cat, you will love one. Test drive anything you are interested in to check the ride. Good luck finding a new toy and welcome

offshoredrillin 02-12-2011 04:46 PM

Sorry, its a little more than that, and im not putting you down your are giving your opinion as fact, as in first hand, I always have questions so who are you and what are your credential to get advice. Again, who are you and what boats have you owned, thats a pretty simple question, many members here dont own one and thats ok as well.

What V's have you owned and what cats have you owned to make statements that your opinions are indeed factual. simple questions, just answer. :)

seafordguy 02-12-2011 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin (Post 3322690)
What V's have you owned and what cats have you owned to make statements that your opinions are indeed factual. simple questions, just answer. :)

OSD - How are you going to respond if he says he has owned a number of Apaches but recently has been focusing on his collection of classic motorcycles that he likes to photograph out back by his pool?:evilb::evilb::grinser010:

wot 02-12-2011 05:11 PM

What a trip; you guys really do like your v'hulls; lmao.

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-12-2011 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by seafordguy (Post 3322703)
OSD - How are you going to respond if he says he has owned a number of Apaches but recently has been focusing on his collection of classic motorcycles that he likes to photograph out back by his pool?:evilb::evilb::grinser010:

I'll bet my Superbowl winnings that dont happen :lolhit:

Baja555 02-12-2011 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin (Post 3322601)
really?I'm just curious if you could please post pics of your cat and what V's you have owned in order to make this type of comment? is this from what you have read or actually experienced? please let us know your age and what other boats you have had to be giving out advice seemingly based on experience. :)

HAHAHA

ElimiNordic 02-12-2011 05:19 PM

Do you have a boat?

offshoredrillin,

This a post he sent me when I asked the same thing. It pretty much says it all

Hi and thanku... i dont own my own boat... my parents live in LHC and own an Elim Cat..im in so. cali,,.. I am not in the income bracket to get myself in debt with a boat right now..mayb someday... My im a huge powerboat/catamaran lover and study up on alot on whats out there new/used online and in articles.... so i enjoy sharing my questions/thoughts/views about diff makes/models out there..... I get alot of neg replys, but its funny,,, its just OSO talk.

Did u buy the 36 w/ 700s, nxts? I recently saw it forsale?
how bout a pic?

He is a young boy who dreams of someday being one of the many heros he has here on OSO. I like him and think he has a place here, just not as resident expert on all things asked.

Baja555 02-12-2011 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic (Post 3322716)
offshoredrillin,

Hi and thanku... i dont own my own boat... my parents live in LHC and own an Elim Cat..im in so. cali,,.. I am not in the income bracket to get myself in debt with a boat right now..mayb someday... My im a huge powerboat/catamaran lover and study up on alot on whats out there new/used online and in articles.... so i enjoy sharing my questions/thoughts/views about diff makes/models out there..... I get alot of neg replys, but its funny,,, its just OSO talk.

how bout a pic?

He is a young boy who dreams of someday being one of the many heros he has here on OSO. I like him and think he has a place here, just not as resident expert on all things asked.

very well said.. nobody is knocking pr388 for his age or for wanting a high dollar offshore powerboat.. just dont give your opinions as factual...

wot 02-12-2011 05:33 PM

opinions...

offshoredrillin 02-12-2011 05:38 PM

offshoredrillin,

how bout a pic?

I agree 100% I dont have an issue with his age at all, I do have a problem with him or anyone (chris sunkin) that states things they read as fact. I think its awesome that younger people want to participate however we have all seen and heard the things that uninformed individuals do just to be a part of the conversation, regardless of age. he should read some posts fron fastfun2/Johnny Saris, who as a teenager handled himself in a dignified manner, learned from his father and became a friend to many as well as a respected now adult on the board.

offshoredrillin 02-12-2011 05:40 PM

Secondly, be yourself, people know my screen name, but they also know when someone refers as Rob, its me, don't worry about hiding, it's a web community, the only people that hide their identity's usually have something to hide...:D

oh i have been known to answer to dumbass every so often too.:evilb:

wot 02-12-2011 05:56 PM

Your comparing donuts to apples partner. And I think a few people may take these internet forums way to seriously.

Wet-N-Wild 02-12-2011 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic (Post 3322626)
PokerRun,
I am not trying to get on your case, but people come here to OSO with questions about their boats and to get information about problems or specific issues with specific boats. You do not help anyone when you post to a thread like this or the other thread from a guy who wanted info about a Nor Tech and was looking for good, true feedback about a cat when your experience is simply reading magazines about these boats. I am sure anyone who spends time here knows who you are and they would not take your information as first person, but the danger lies in the first timer you answered about the bounce of a cat thinking you have experience about what you post here. He would not know you do not own a cat and have no boating experience and you diminish the value of forums like this. It is hard enough for someone to weed through all the different opinions of all the people who actually have owned and operated these boats without your answers to
threads you know nothing about. I do not want to hurt your feelings, but add to a thread if you have true knowledge or experience that will help and do not pretend to know the answer to something specific about a Nor-tech cat. As far as your question about my 36, you have asked the same thing of me over and over again and I have answered you many times. Either you don’t read the answer or you forget, but you ask me over and over again the same thing. You will know when I go to Havasu and it will not be before the end of the month, as I am really busy at work now and do not have time. Sorry to be testy with you, but your answers to threads like this irritate me.

Tastefully done, hood job:)

FRMULTR 02-12-2011 06:00 PM

Here's my opinion...."The longer I own my Fastech, the more I miss my Daytona"

Wet-N-Wild 02-12-2011 06:14 PM

Well I have gotten alot of good info off of these forums and truthfully I think everyone tastes are different and you really need to do your homework before you buy or do any upgrades to your boat. We all have different things we want out of our boats and all can't afford the same boats or upgrades. The best thing is to find what works for you and enjoy it with family and friends. Good luck to everyone and enjoy what you have this upcoming summer:)

Catmando 02-12-2011 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by fishinrod (Post 3322563)
Im a new member and trying to learn about cats, no experience with them but they look awesome. I just was reading up on the 31 American offshore about porpusing. they even have a review on there website from powerboat magazine. Is this something that all cats do? I know most of the big ones have tunnel tabs, is this how this problem is generally fixed. I just dont want a cat if its gonna do this everytime in flat water. Thanks for any advice.

Go to their owners forum and talk to those guys. I have ridden in one with 675s and Bravos. It didn't porpoise but we were in 2-3s on Grand Lake Ok. Most cat owners that have the problem just drive through it as quick as they can. Hell I've seen huge Nor-Tech cats loping along at certain speeds and water conditions.

I wouldn't let a little porpoise keep me from getting a cat, and the AO3100 is a great entry-level cat to start with. Very quick to plane and high freeboard which is very family-friendly. It was designed to race offshore so the hull will not do anything crazy.

The immediate issue will be insurance. The fact you've never owned a cat means you'll pay top dollar. Talk to Sy Goldberg at Total Dollar and Stacey at WakeZone insurance, they will be glad to help you.

LapseofReason 02-12-2011 06:52 PM

offshoredrillin,

how bout a pic?

First when I saw his post to mine in the NT thread I didn't bother to respond because it didnt seem to me that he read what I wrote, Now that I know he's a kid I understand. As long as he doesn't try and sell a Rolex on here he will learn alot and make some friends.