Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   HORBA welcomes racers to the 2011 season (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/247484-horba-welcomes-racers-2011-season.html)

Top Banana 02-12-2011 01:15 PM

HORBA welcomes racers to the 2011 season

HORBA is starting to get some early interest for the 2011 marathon races this year.

DON ARONOW MEMORIAL AROUND LONG ISLAND MARATHON at 271 miles.

Below is the info right from the NPBA website. HORBA is once again putting the race on with Billy Frenz's NPBA organization.

MARATHON INFORMATION

Saturday, September 24 is the date set for the second annual Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island Marathon, a 271 mile course starting at Buoy #27 on Long Island Sound. Headquarters is the Manhasset Bay Marina and LaMottas Restaurant in Port Washington, NY.

We will travel North-East from Buoy #27 to the twin forks of eastern Long Island, past Orient Point, around Montauk Point, into the Atlantic Ocean, past Brooklyn, through New York Harbor, keeping Governors Island and Manhattan to port, up the East River and then run back into Long Island Sound to the finish, Buoy #27. We will then return to LaMottas Restaurant for the Award Celebration.
The classes are listed on our website at National Powerboat Marathon Boat Class List.

We are looking forward to somebody breaking the non race Stu Hayim 32 Skater Cat record of 3 hours and 6 minutes.

The 2010 winners were Joe DeFusco, Jon Tobin and Charlie McCarthy in DeFusco's 31 Sonic with small-blocks at 6 hours and 15 minutes.

Thinkfast Films has interested ESPN in providing television coverage, so do not be surprised to see them on-board at his years event. Our Kattack satellite tracking devices will provide live position and speed updates on the internet.

Don Aronow Memorial 271 mile Marathon Race Around Long Island Sept 24, 2011
Early Bird Entry Fee Discounts: $600.00 until March 31, 2011
$800.00 until June 30, 2011
$1,000.00 until August 30, 2011
$1,200.00 after September 1, 2011
Open and Print the Don Aronow Memorial Around Long Island Marathon Entry Form www.nationalpowerboat.com

Top Banana 02-12-2011 01:29 PM

We may have a big entry in the Historic division with the multi race winner, the famous 38 Scarab of MICHELOB LIGHT. The present owner has detuned the engines for reliability and added extra fuel storage.....this boat will be a contender if the water is rough again this year.

Another rough water favorite is the Connecticut 41 foot Apache. The boat could not quite get ready in time for last year's race. He has had a whole year to finish it and we look forward to seeing a rough water champion back in action.

A once in a lifetime experience.....this is a real open water ocean race....just like the big names did in the past.

Past winner's include Sam Griffith, Jim Wynne, Odell Lewis, Allan Brown "Brownie", Dick Genth, Bill Sirois,.....will your name be added this year? This is history that is still alive and you can be part of it.

Top Banana 02-12-2011 01:35 PM

HORBA MARATHON
CLASS RULES

Class A 42 to 50 feet 3 or more engines

Class B 30 to 41 feet 2 engines

Class C 25 to 33 feet Outboards and Single Inboard

Class D 18 to 24 feet Small Boat Class

Class H Historic Open & Production class categories

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any hull design is allowed, Deep V, Cats, Trihulls etc. As long as the design is considered safe for ocean passage, it is allowed.

Boat measurement does not include any overhangs off the transoms, bustles, swim platforms etc. Measurement for length is taken from the bottom of the boat, where it joins the transom, to a line dropped from the bow.

Class C Outboards will be limited to a maximum of three motors with maximum horsepower of each outboard of 300. Outboard boats longer than 33 feet or with more than three engines of 300 HP each will move up to Class A.

Class H Historic outboards will be limited to a maximum of two modern era outboards, any horsepower, or three vintage era outboards. Vintage era outboards are 25 years old or older.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting time for the marathon classes:

8:00 AM Historic & Class D

8:30 AM Classes A – B - C

All classes run against the same elapsed time calculation. Historic and Class D boats will not have a 30 minute time advantage.

No turbines powered boats allowed.

Safety

We want the entrants to be as safe as possible, so we are still working with the concept of allowing canopy boats. Below are some ideas re allowing the canopy boats to compete. At this point .....they are suggestions, they are not finalized.

A.) No canopy boats unless each canopy boat provides it’s own helicopter and safety crew that will maintain it’s position over that boat for the entire length of the course. There will be no sharing of helicopters over more than a single canopy boat.
B.) Canopy boats may be altered for safety purposes by cutting the top off the canopy to allow safe exit from the boat by the crew in case of an accident. A specific sized opening will be required, as the European teams have.

We are still working with various rulebooks to come up with a complete rulebook of our own. Details will be coming in the next few weeks.

offshoredrillin 02-12-2011 07:18 PM

Hoping I'm able to do a couple this year! :)

Top Banana 02-12-2011 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin (Post 3322812)
Hoping I'm able to do a couple this year! :)

Rob, I was contacted by a racer who told me that he is just going to do the Don Aronow Around Long Island marathon this year.

He said that business is a little down for him and he calculated that by just doing the one race with us, he will do more miles total, than he did last year with another race group.....and spend less time away from his business.

Plus the travel cost savings, as he had many more miles of travel and many more hotel nights to pay for last year.

The real deciding factor is.... he has a sponsor who is interested in the exposure he would get in the greater New York market.

Come on up to New York this year and cut your racing budget by 80%

offshoredrillin 02-13-2011 06:51 AM

thats awesome. as i had no race budget, i just love the ideas of the long runs, i got hooked at Bimini, just like the other guy the economy is the key factor. HORBA's recipe for racing fits the average guys race budget and sets it to where anyone with the will to try it can compete.

Top Banana 02-13-2011 09:12 AM

The British may try again with the brand new Outerlimits with 4 Italian diesel engines.

We promised Dean a trophy with the Statue of Liberty on it, just in case he can't make it all the way around again and doesn't have a chance to see the real thing. LOL

These guys were great and once they get the bugs out, they will be a contender for the overall victory.

Maybe the K&K guys will dust off that old champion raceboat and kick some butt in the outbolard division.

Steve Berk......what a great venue for the GREAT ADVENTURE. If you and Bobby can't make it, maybe someone will buy that boat and return it to it's former glory.

Our race date is so late in the race season that for any competitors that have no chance for a world or national championship, in your series, come on up to New York and get a lifetime full of memories in a few hours.

Top Banana 02-14-2011 09:03 AM

I'll be around the Miami Boat Show this week, if anyone wants any more info on the marathon, I would be happy to speak with you.

HORBA is especially interested in entries from older Historical boats and people who have always wanted to do something like this, but are not quite sure how to go about it. we are here to help.

fantastixvoyage 02-14-2011 09:14 AM

Still doing the Michigan to Chicago run? I might be in for one of these races in the 24' No Limits Pantera if I still have it. Sounds perfect for it if I can sort out a way to pack more fuel in it. Will the Bimini run be ran the same weekend as SBI's race?

Top Banana 02-14-2011 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage (Post 3325834)
Still doing the Michigan to Chicago run? I might be in for one of these races in the 24' No Limits Pantera if I still have it. Sounds perfect for it if I can sort out a way to pack more fuel in it. Will the Bimini run be ran the same weekend as SBI's race?

Don't forget the winner last year, stopped for both fuel and repairs. There are many places on Long Island that someone can duck into for a fuel stop.

Shinnecock harbor has a fuel dock that is 100 yards inside the inlet...quick in and out.

Haven't heard from Marc re the Chicago run in a while. I am here in Fla to go over the Fort Lauderdale to Key West run that we would like to happen in November, the Saturday before the race weeks start.

The Bimini Run is something that HORBA is not associated with, but I think they are on the same schedule with SBI or one of the other race groups.