Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   WTF is up with F2? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/24762-wtf-up-f2.html)

Rico's Revenge 05-20-2002 11:48 AM

WTF is up with F2?

I just spoke with a friend of mine who raced this past weekend in SC-Lite. He broke the lap that the race was called as he was in a battle for the lead. But he said something interesting...

I've been out of F2 racing for 2 years and we were pretty fast then. But my friend said that F2 has gone insane! He said that he was running flat out and fast and a Gladiator walked him. He also said that he couldn't pull the Fountains. The 35 Motion in Sc-Lite trim runs in the low 100s and gets there fast. In order for the Glad to do this, he would have had to be running 110! I didn't think the laws of physics would allow a solid vee, stepped or not to overcome the drag advantages of an air-trapper. Its a good thing I retired, I couldn't even come close...the fastest I saw on GPS was 93.8!

To all the F2 guys...Go Babay, Go!!!

Todd Dalton
34' Eliminator Eagle
F2-19 "Flirtin' With Disaster"

PhantomChaos 05-20-2002 11:53 AM

This must have something to do with the missing thread "SBI cheaters".

Rico's Revenge 05-20-2002 12:05 PM

I hadn't seen that thread.

But it could be...in SBI you don't have to run Merc power right? They are just supposed to dyno the motors.

BODYSHOT1 05-20-2002 01:20 PM

correct...and they allow stagger in F2

Rico's Revenge 05-20-2002 04:48 PM

Uh...lap times are average speeds, they do not reflect top speeds. What were the lap speeds for the SCLites?

I'm no engineer, but wouldn't top speed be calculated by...engine speed directly related to drive gear ratios? Obvioulsy drag and slippage would influence as well, where a cat would have a distinct advantage because less hull touches the water. I can't figure out how a 35' Fountain can go from a 95 MPH top speed to a 105 MPH top speed. Are the motors in SBI, when tested, getting their 500 horses at 6500 RPM instead of 52-5400 like the Mercs? That could account for the added prop RPMs necessary to add that amount of speed. Even a staggered configuration with the different X-factor and its inherent "squirreliness" neccessitating the canopies shouldn't make that much difference.

I'm still curious.

Todd

Risk Taker 05-20-2002 04:51 PM

Originally posted by Rico's Revenge
Uh...lap times are average speeds, they do not reflect top speeds. What were the lap speeds for the SCLites?

I'm no engineer, but wouldn't top speed be calculated by...engine speed directly related to drive gear ratios? Obvioulsy drag and slippage would influence as well, where a cat would have a distinct advantage because less hull touches the water. I can't figure out how a 35' Fountain can go from a 95 MPH top speed to a 105 MPH top speed. Are the motors in SBI, when tested, getting their 500 horses at 6500 RPM instead of 52-5400 like the Mercs? That could account for the added prop RPMs necessary to add that amount of speed. Even a staggered configuration with the different X-factor and its inherent "squirreliness" neccessitating the canopies shouldn't make that much difference.

I'm still curious.

Todd

Hey RR......I know you've been away for good stretch, but you don't have to make up for everything in the first week back.....:D ;) Makin' my friggin' head spin.........

Rico's Revenge 05-20-2002 05:01 PM

Sorry R/T...I really just want to know.

This could revolutionize boat buying habits again. It used to be if you wanted to go fast with or without crazy power, a cat had the most bang for the buck...or MPH for the HP. Believe it or not, this time I'm serious.

All right, maybe not completely serious, but I do want to know.

Risk Taker 05-20-2002 05:03 PM

Just f*ckin' with ya buddy.....:p :p . It is a good questions.

Rico's Revenge 05-20-2002 05:37 PM

Originally posted by Boat Girl
F2-15 Invensys Fountain 83.2 84.6 85.2 79.4
...Can anybody tell me what we are looking at here, and then can someone tell me if that jives with 1100 HP

I just looked at the SBI stats.

The F2-15 boat had the above lap speeds for an average speed of 83.08 MPH.

The second place Super Vee (V1 Firewater) had lap speeds of...79.9, 81.5, 85.5, 85.2 with an average speed of 83.01. The first place SV was V2 Muscle that averaged 85.11.

Not only does that "jive" with 1100 HP...it jives with 14-1500 HP.

How can an F2 be faster than a Super Boat Vee?

Roger 05-21-2002 07:45 AM

2 Things, First of all on Sunday before the race the Coast Guard made SBI move the corner bouys in because of the bad weather conditions, how much no-one knows, therefore the average results on speed do not jive with actual average speeds. 2nd why is it hard to believe that a v bottom boat can not run high 90's? After all the kilo record is 94 and with bigger steps, higher x's, lighter weights, prop technology, staggers, canopies, short lower units, can 100 MPH be far off. Reggies adds state 100 MPH in the 38 Competition Series and I understand that Mitch and Matt were running in the 95 plus range in Marathon.