Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by 36Tango
The next time they ask "will you take $$$ for it", simply ask them,
Is that a question or an offer?
Old 02-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's just a tough call to make on price. Do you give much credit to the NADA values? I've heard sellers say that they listed their boats a like 30% less then the NADA value and had a quick sale. Just some of the boats I have looked at prices have been as different as $10000.00 for the same year and model boat.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
I say, make an offer for what ever it's worth to "you".
I agree with this....

Guy called me about what is now my boat. He said ill drop the price to x. My response was well i wasnt really looking to buy right now and the boat isnt worth what your asking.

Not to hurt your feelings but this is what the boat is worth to ME in the condition its in. The price i gave the guy only had a couple thousand range in my head that i would be willing to shift. I Could have cut the guy even worse and shot even lower but thats just causes bad blood. I was hard but straight. It took him some thought on it but the offer bought the boat.

I look at any purchase as what is it worth to me. Cause I have to be happy with the price in the long run.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by scottw
When searching for a used boat and you find one in this market, what would be a good rule of thumb to go by on making a offer? 10%, 20%, 30% off of the asking price etc.?
Do your homework and know what the boat is worth before you enter into a discussion with the seller. The worst feeling in the world is to make an offer and have the seller accept right off with no counter offer. You know you just over paid. I am never shy about a low offer to start. If the boat has been for sale a while and you know it really needs to be sold, go real low and see what happens. The seller always feels the boat is worth more than it most likely is and the buyer needs to bring it down. I have found some guys just list their boat to see what comes out of it and they really don't need to or want to sell. Watch out for these people in that they will give you a false sense of what a particular model is worth. I know I might take some flak for this, but it is your job to buy the boat for the least amount possible with both parties feeling a win to make it work. Remember, in this market, any offer may be good to a seller who can't make their mortgage payment and by not making an offer, you could be hurting them more than the insult of a lowball offer.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just don't be an A-Hole when making your offer. I was selling a 21' Scarab w/trailer (I am in the Great Lakes - Detroit Area) a few years back. I had a guy show up (drove in from Southern IL) and after wasting an hour of my time, broke out a NADA sheet for a 21' Scarab with no options or trailer listed and even the wrong motor and proceeded to tell me my boat was not worth nearly as much in "his area" according to his NADA sheet. The way he did it wasn't cool and immediately ruined any possibility of negotiation. I told him "this boat isn't for sale in YOUR AREA" and then proceeded to tell him to get the hell off my property.

Long story short, had he negotiated properly instead of telling me how much my boat wasn't worth and having a NADA Sheet with the correct options listed he probably could have got me down. Instead he pissed me off so bad I probably wouldn't have sold it to him for $2k more than I was asking..... It doesn't hurt to lowball, if done the right way. Just don't go into it cocky... As the saying goes you get more fly's with honey (or is it $hit).... Oh hell I can't remember............

Last edited by low_psi; 02-15-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic
Do your homework and know what the boat is worth before you enter into a discussion with the seller. The worst feeling in the world is to make an offer and have the seller accept right off with no counter offer. You know you just over paid. I am never shy about a low offer to start. If the boat has been for sale a while and you know it really needs to be sold, go real low and see what happens. The seller always feels the boat is worth more than it most likely is and the buyer needs to bring it down. I have found some guys just list their boat to see what comes out of it and they really don't need to or want to sell. Watch out for these people in that they will give you a false sense of what a particular model is worth. I know I might take some flak for this, but it is your job to buy the boat for the least amount possible with both parties feeling a win to make it work. Remember, in this market, any offer may be good to a seller who can't make their mortgage payment and by not making an offer, you could be hurting them more than the insult of a lowball offer.
+1
Old 02-15-2011, 10:10 PM
Registered

Smile

Many ppl selling their used boat in todays market are desperate for money,, so get them as low as you can... Normally you'll just meet them somewhere in the middle....

Buyers market..!!!! especially if you have cash...
Old 02-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PokerRun388
Many ppl selling their used boat in todays market are desperate for money,, so get them as low as you can... Normally you'll just meet them somewhere in the middle....

And how many boats have you bought? Just looking for credibility here!
Old 02-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PokerRun388

How many boats have you sold and bought? Is this personal experience? Is this fact? Tell me more. Please.

Scott, you've gotten some sound advice here. Get a feel for the seller, his situation, the condition of the boat, and most importantly a feel for the market FOR THAT BOAT. Don't forget, giving a low offer is not bad when its the only offer. Don't be a dick about it. Don't down talk the boat. Just be realistic. Best advice I can give. Good luck on your search. Im sure you'll make out fine.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:25 PM
Banned

but he's SOLD & Traded alot of these guys LMFAO
Attached Thumbnails Make Offer!-pecker-runs-happy-meal.bmp  
Attached Images  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.