Notices

Make Offer!

Old 02-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Make Offer!

When searching for a used boat and you find one in this market, what would be a good rule of thumb to go by on making a offer? 10%, 20%, 30% off of the asking price etc.?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

I say, make an offer for what ever it's worth to "you".
Old 02-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Registered

All they can say is no, they might be a little pissed off but life goes on
Old 02-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I guess it depends on how realistic the seller is to begin with. I think most people factor in a little wiggle room in their price. Others, base price on what they owe, others are just plain CRAZY!
Old 02-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Make an offer that you would pay for it, dont make an offer that if they say yes, makes you think about it. I have sold a few boats and people call and say "will you take $$$$for it". And I say yes and they say "ok, let me think about it". If you make an offer, it's an offer, stick by it. Sorry for venting, selling is just frustrating at time
Old 02-14-2011, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make the offer on what you are willing to stoke the check for if he says yes.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scottw
When searching for a used boat and you find one in this market, what would be a good rule of thumb to go by on making a offer? 10%, 20%, 30% off of the asking price etc.?
Scott,

I'm in the same situation. There's no "rule of thumb". You have to understand that not every listing is posting an unrealistic price..... some of them are steals as is. If you're interested in a boat, call! Really. You won't get any good information over an email..... the seller almost always leaves something out (not purposely). When you call, have your questions ready. Try to get a feel for the seller position(1) Has he got an offer yet?(2) How long has the boat been up for sale. (3) If used in salt water, what was the maintenance care consisting of, flushing, how long (4) How bad does he need to sell.
Take all of these into consideration when making an offer. If you're looking at a $70,000 boat that's been for sale for 2 years and the dude hasn't got an offer and NEEDS to sell, adjust your offer accordingly. Good luck on your search, there's a ton of boats going up for sale this past month......
Old 02-15-2011, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know why Sellers think that email inquiries are less sincere than phone calls. Personally, I like everything in writing. Sure there's something to be said for a Seller leaving something out, but there's also something to be said for a Seller stating in writing that the motors are untouched Merc. Power, or Teague Power, etc., and has X amount of hours, over that same Seller having a phone conversation about it and later denying that it is what he said, or later saying that there was some "misunderstanding."

Additionally, there are a lot of people that have a sort of phone anxiety, or they just don't want to bother someone/live in a different time zone, making email an easier method of communication. I would personally advise a Seller to take any inquiry sincerely, but a lot of people seem to think that emailers are insincere.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 421 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild
Make an offer that you would pay for it, dont make an offer that if they say yes, makes you think about it. I have sold a few boats and people call and say "will you take $$$$for it". And I say yes and they say "ok, let me think about it". If you make an offer, it's an offer, stick by it. Sorry for venting, selling is just frustrating at time
Comments like that make the "salesman" in me kick in. The next time they ask "will you take $$$ for it", simply ask them, "Hmm, I dont know if I can do that. IF I determine that I can sell it that low, will you buy it for that? I ask this only because I have had alot of wannabes call me on this boat, and if you are not willing to buy it for that, it really doesn't matter if I will sell it for that"

Now, on the other hand, when I am the buyer, it is OK for me to ask
Old 02-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 36Tango
Comments like that make the "salesman" in me kick in. The next time they ask "will you take $$$ for it", simply ask them, "Hmm, I dont know if I can do that. IF I determine that I can sell it that low, will you buy it for that? I ask this only because I have had alot of wannabes call me on this boat, and if you are not willing to buy it for that, it really doesn't matter if I will sell it for that"

Now, on the other hand, when I am the buyer, it is OK for me to ask
BINGO !...dont worry about what i will take for it...worry about how much your willing to buy it for

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.