Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Has anyone saved a catastrophic engine failure >

Has anyone saved a catastrophic engine failure

Notices

Has anyone saved a catastrophic engine failure

Old 02-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

I was refering to my Bullet. Ive only had the Hawk out once when I bought it so far....but I loved loved loved the way it sounded! Really lookin forward to this boat. Are you guys the ones in the video on youtube with the Velocity jumping out of the water?
Old 02-16-2011, 11:40 AM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes that's me post 10 I put up the video
Old 02-16-2011, 11:44 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

yep.....running 4,200 rpms on a poker run and the oil pressure dropped to 0!!!! Engine alarms went off and I shut it down before even coming off plane.

Pulled the motor and dropped the pan to find the pickup tube broke off. Re-installed/welded the tube and put it back together....4 years later still running strong.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I saved a 406 CI small block once.

Built a 406 CI small block in 2000, blew it up in 1 month, as I was running way too much timing trying to make a slow hull fast.

The rotating assembly kit, had the block line bored and honed thus requiring a very specific rear main seal that was oversize (this oversized seal was in the original kit, it had a wire tied note stating "this is a special RMS for blocks that have been line bored and align honed).

Needless to say, when I ordered the replacement seal from parts store for the rebild of the blown engine, told them two or three times it was a 'special align honed size RMS' only to have them give me std seal, which was many thousands of an inch too small but you would not notice it by eyeball test.

Assembled engine and ran for several hours in driveway, and then just floating next to dock. Took off with the family up the lake and after about 20 minutes just happened to look down and catch the oil pressure gauge (mechanical) dropping to zero. reached over and turned the key to off and it hit off almost exactly the same time the idiot light lit.

Eight quarts of oil in the bilge, thank goodness I had disconnected the auto float on the bilge pump. It happened about 300 yards away from a marina, got a tow over and purchase a case of oil. filled it and started the trip back to the house, when I saw the needle of the gauge first wiggle, switched off and refilled engine. Took only one refill to get home.

The next week removed and disassembled, could find no damage to the bearings and clearances were perfect. New
Seal and new rings reused bearings and that engine is still running somewhere in upstate.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

I have my electric fuel pumps and ignition tied into the oil pressure switch. Port engine died all of a sudden at 5100RPM. Opened the hatch and had oil everywhere. Oil filter had loosened and pumped all of my oil into the bilge. Went home filled engine back up, started and let idle for a while. Shut down, removed filter, cut it open and inspected for shavings. Looked good and ran for another 3yrs without any problems.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:37 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocity Vector
And wild it was brother! I still have nightmares.
Stupid caught on tape.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqe4Y...lnk&feature=BF
Kreed your boat and endevor BT is in this video too.

motors sound sweet whats with the HOMO muzik
Old 02-16-2011, 12:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by t500hps
yep.....running 4,200 rpms on a poker run and the oil pressure dropped to 0!!!! Engine alarms went off and I shut it down before even coming off plane.

Pulled the motor and dropped the pan to find the pickup tube broke off. Re-installed/welded the tube and put it back together....4 years later still running strong.
That's awesome!

It's tough to say if I've ever "saved" a motor, but I am pretty good about not using something and investigating the "real" problem behind a tick or squeal or whatnot before beating the crap out of it and breaking it worse. I have a couple of friends that just run it until it breaks and then they find the real problem, and often 2-3 more problems...
Old 02-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1
motors sound sweet whats with the HOMO muzik

I was driving the boat not making the video or music
Old 02-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Velocity Vector
I was driving the boat not making the video or music
U got mail,U got mail,U got mail .....
Old 02-16-2011, 02:10 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1
U got mail,U got mail,U got mail .....

Why thank you your video is way better than mine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.