Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Catamaran's with/without Center-Pods..... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/247729-catamarans-without-center-pods.html)

ElimiNordic 02-17-2011 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1 (Post 3329362)
You have good solid roots:eek:
I was very impressed by the Gel coat,the Mira loma factory,& their workmanship, but not the same ride as the Skater ... your new boat looks awesome but if you'd taken a ride in a Skater i dont think you'd be posting the same pics . The SKATER is on rails , it only took 1 ride and we wrote the check :drink:

I did look at the Skater's, but the lack of a cabin, the wide load issue on the trailer and a couple of other things swayed me, but I have never ridden in one, so don't know the difference. Also, look as I might, I could never find that just right Skater that lit me up. Lots of stuff on the market, just not the right one for me. Maybe next time. Every time I come to the coast, I realize I will have to retire here in the next 6 or 7 years and then I will Skate.

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-17-2011 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic (Post 3329369)
I did look at the Skater's, but the lack of a cabin, the wide load issue on the trailer and a couple of other things swayed me, but I have never ridden in one, so don't know the difference. Also, look as I might, I could never find that just right Skater that lit me up. Lots of stuff on the market, just not the right one for me. Maybe next time. Every time I come to the coast, I realize I will have to retire here in the next 6 or 7 years and then I will Skate.

dont really notice the lack of cabin ,with the other 2 boats and the place on the river its no big deal ... with the Elim really did'nt use the cabin the girls wanted Hotel room:eek: ya know A/C,hot tub,cable tv,:drink:

PokerRun388 02-17-2011 09:06 PM

Hey,, this thread's done very well again....

My threads have been gettn lots of views lately...

YAY..!! :drink:

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-17-2011 09:29 PM

T2x has it covered so I have nothing left but a pic to add to this thread.... :evilb:

:drink:
http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/im...50496644-4.jpg

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-17-2011 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Pro1 (Post 3328939)
My 32 Skater with Arneson planes at 12 to 18 mph or 1200-1400 rpm and will stay on plane at 25 mph at 1500 rpm.

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/im...63890374-4.jpg

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/im...18227019-4.jpg

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/im...60526548-4.jpg

PokerRun388 02-17-2011 10:02 PM

Great Pics SHARKEY....!!:drink:

SHARKEY-IMAGES 02-17-2011 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by PokerRun388 (Post 3329636)
Great Pics SHARKEY....!!:drink:

Thank you !

Airpacker 02-18-2011 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 3328337)
They are more like a vee bottom with pontoons in that regard.

Conclusion:.....Buy a Skater

T2x

Not entirely true my ancient and cantakerous friend.

Daytonas ride on the sponsons at speed with the center pod about a foot off the water.
You should know better than to make semi accurate statements to 388pokerrun because he will start preaching it as gospel to the next person who asks. :)

T2x 02-18-2011 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 3328540)
Conclusion:.....Buy a Skater

T2x

Or an American Offshore

Or a Doug Wright

Or a Jaguar

Or a Motion

Or an MTI

Or a Nor-Tech

Or an Ocean Express

Or an Outerlimits

Or a Platinum

Or a Spectre

Did I stutter?

Buy a Skater....... If I meant something else, I would have written it.

T2x

SVL-WARLOCK 02-18-2011 07:28 AM

That american offshore is the only one on the list with a center pod. Someone made a mistake. lol Go out west where the real waves are, you will see eliminators and warlocks eating up the big waves. Whoever said that cats with center pods cant handle rough water is misinformed. Obviously never ridden in one in huge water. Also the 37 talon ran out there for years.

tbanzer 02-18-2011 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic (Post 3329369)

Elim I am in the same situation. I have looked and continue to look at Skater but for the type of boating my family and friends do a larger cockpit and a cabin fit my needs. When we go out we may spend 8-10 hrs in the boat anchored at the beach with friends. We need some room in the cockpit. Most times we go out I have six people on the boat and generally when we anchor a couple more join us on the back of the boat sitting on the sun pad. For us a small cabin for a place to possibly change out of wet clothes, use a porta potty, storeage, privacy, get out of the sun or rain if needed. All indications now my next boat will be a used 30 or 33 Eliminator. They may not be the best offshore boats but they fit my needs the best. Currently I have a HTM sr24 and the cockpit and cabin are perfect for our type of boating. I just want a bigger boat with the same aneminities to handle rougher water better. If Skater built a boat layed out like a west coast boat I and alot of others would be all over it.

Baja555 02-18-2011 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by tbanzer (Post 3329875)
Elim I am in the same situation. I have looked and continue to look at Skater but for the type of boating my family and friends do a larger cockpit and a cabin fit my needs. When we go out we may spend 8-10 hrs in the boat anchored at the beach with friends. We need some room in the cockpit. Most times we go out I have six people on the boat and generally when we anchor a couple more join us on the back of the boat sitting on the sun pad. For us a small cabin for a place to possibly change out of wet clothes, use a porta potty, storeage, privacy, get out of the sun or rain if needed. All indications now my next boat will be a used 30 or 33 Eliminator. They may not be the best offshore boats but they fit my needs the best. Currently I have a HTM sr24 and the cockpit and cabin are perfect for our type of boating. I just want a bigger boat with the same aneminities to handle rougher water better. If Skater built a boat layed out like a west coast boat I and alot of others would be all over it.

36 skater is available with a cabin..

WildWarrior 02-18-2011 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by SVL-WARLOCK (Post 3329827)
That american offshore is the only one on the list with a center pod. Someone made a mistake. lol Go out west where the real waves are, you will see eliminators and warlocks eating up the big waves. Whoever said that cats with center pods cant handle rough water is misinformed. Obviously never ridden in one in huge water. Also the 37 talon ran out there for years.

We ran one of the fastest pod boats ever built we used it as our meth injection test rig, or as we call it " Ice injection" @ over 2700 hp I drove our Talon 377 for 4 seasons and over 300 hrs Documented with our smaller 35p 4 blade props, to accelerate from 100mph into the 150s GPS in less than 10 seconds so I did learn how to drive this boat and what her limitations are.
There is another very fast 2200 hp 04 37' Talon on our bay that also stays home if its to rough.
All though we have no choice but to get on top to run, and in our case 95 mph+ or so to really pack enough air in the rough.
Pod boats do not eat up big water even a 1/3 as good as a Skater 5' shorter and they beat the living snot out of the drivers and passengers compared to a Skater ,done both brands many many times..
You may have seen a true 37' Talon with out the pod or someone who now lives at the chiropractors office.
No misinformation here.

Buy a Skater

tbanzer 02-18-2011 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Baja555 (Post 3329886)

Id love a 36 Skater, but now its no where near my boating budget to buy, operate or insure currently. Not to mention the fact that if Im not mistaken its a 10 ft beem and I tow my boat to different locations regurally.

Baja555 02-18-2011 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by tbanzer (Post 3329912)
Id love a 36 Skater, but now its no where near my boating budget to buy, operate or insure currently. Not to mention the fact that if Im not mistaken its a 10 ft beem and I tow my boat to different locations regurally.

You are correct.

drejustice 02-18-2011 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by tbanzer (Post 3329875)
If Skater built a boat layed out like a west coast boat I and alot of others would be all over it.

+1 :) They'd have a much larger target market.

Catmando 02-18-2011 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 3329823)
Did I stutter?

T2x

No you didn't stutter. I'm just saying the Skater is not the only cat with a true tunnel. U mad?

Catmando 02-18-2011 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by SVL-WARLOCK (Post 3329827)

Sorry, I should have said AO3100. The 26 is a centerpod cat(25 Talon splash). The 3100 does not have a centerpod.

SVL-WARLOCK 02-18-2011 12:23 PM

No worries Cat. I also think that width has a lot to do with it. Take a 25 Talon, warlock,eliminator and they run just as fast as skater does. I had a 25 warlock with twin 300 and it went 115. About the same as 24-28 skater. The big boats have wide deep tunnels which I am sure addds to lift.

WildWarrior 02-18-2011 12:42 PM

Just for the record I never said pod cats are slow or not good equipment.Nor do I want to insinuate that in any way.
As far as speed is concerned you wont notice the top speed difference between say a 2003 37' Talon vs a 2003 36' skater both equipped with Merc 900s #6 drives they both should run low 140s when set up correctly.
It is when you start adding more power that you see the real difference my power in a 36' Skater will run mid to high 170s ,not struggle to hit 160 crabbing all the way.Different animal all togther
Pod rides are fine for what they are but they cant be compared to a Skater in my opinion.

T2x 02-18-2011 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Catmando (Post 3330092)
. U mad?

No ...simply specific

Buy a Skater......

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-18-2011 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by tbanzer (Post 3329912)

its a 10 ft beem and I tow my boat to different locations regurally...
OK and :point::drink:

tbanzer 02-18-2011 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1 (Post 3330390)
its a 10 ft beem and I tow my boat to different locations regurally...
OK and :point::drink:

Im no expert but I tow and launch my boat on average 3-7 days a week during the summer, and I was under the impression that overwidth hauling permits were required in NY for over 8' 6" and it was quite the hassle?

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-18-2011 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by tbanzer (Post 3330406)
Im no expert but I tow and launch my boat on average 3-7 days a week during the summer, and I was under the impression that overwidth hauling permits were required in NY for over 8' 6" and it was quite the hassle?

dont know about the Permit thing ,we just run with it and dont ever look back :eek: :lolhit:

SkiDoc 02-18-2011 07:42 PM

My rubrail extends past the legal width in Kentucky. It has never been an issue, but it could be with the right cop. Should have gone with the full cap. The trailer is legal, boat very close.

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-19-2011 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by tbanzer (Post 3330406)

my boat on average 3-7 days a week

hey Banzer a lil less working and more boating ya think ...:lolhit::ernaehrung004:

tbanzer 02-19-2011 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing163.1 (Post 3330642)
my boat on average 3-7 days a week

hey Banzer a lil less working and more boating ya think ...:lolhit::ernaehrung004:

I go after work till sunet and later. Usually home by 12:00, unless its one of those rare calm warm moonlit nights on Lake Erie. I have friends who litterally are out ever boating day after work and the week ends.

nautdesign1 02-19-2011 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by T2x (Post 3329823)
Did I stutter?

T2x

T2x is of course correct (as is often the case) in that Skater cats are the gold standard for which all others are compared. However if you race in the 30-32 foot outboard class the Doug Wright may indeed be the new standard. From the race results over the last few years it appears the skaters aren’t even close.

ND1

Baja555 02-19-2011 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by nautdesign1 (Post 3330808)
T2x is of course correct (as is often the case) in that Skater cats are the gold standard for which all others are compared. However if you race in the 30-32 foot outboard class the Doug Wright may indeed be the new standard. From the race results over the last few years it appears the skaters aren’t even close.

ND1

Doug Wrights have a very good winning record.. I wouldn't say Skaters aren't even close..Wright's are kinda purpose built race boat, like the Mystics.But they do run excellent.

thisistank 02-21-2011 03:04 PM

I have been publicly skeptical of center pod cats in the past. However, after riding in the new M31 DCB, I've become a believer. Not to say it isn't still purpose built and obviously center pod cats aren't made to run in the open ocean, the M31 ate up the little white caps and 1-2' chop Havasu threw up the day we tested with out a hickup. Different strokes for different folks...Variety is a good thing.

Full story:

http://www.powerboatmag.com/tank-sears-blog/

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-21-2011 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by tbanzer (Post 3330728)
I go after work till sunet and later. Usually home by 12:00, unless its one of those rare calm warm moonlit nights on Lake Erie. I have friends who litterally are out ever boating day after work and the week ends.

WORK CAN WAIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:drink:

LESSONLEARNED 02-21-2011 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Baja555 (Post 3329886)

Have they ever done it...???

I'd like to se the lay out...

Baja555 02-21-2011 06:08 PM

Yes , ask Blume. the 36 has been done with a cabin

kobered 02-21-2011 06:12 PM

We ran a 24' Skater with twin 2.4 outboards for 13 years and now have a F29 DCB with trip 300X outboards which we've had for 3 years. The Skater did have porpoising which you could power out of, but the DCB doesn't, more stable, and no complaints on the performance of the DCB. Wouldn't hesitate to buy DCB again.

Catmando 02-21-2011 07:29 PM

"...the M31 ate up the little white caps and 1-2' chop Havasu threw up the day we tested with out a hickup..." tank

Teague and Tomlinson were testing a 30' DCB Sport Deck for PB mag. They ran over a big wakeboard boat wake at 120 and they said they didn't even feel it.

Rik 02-22-2011 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by LESSONLEARNED (Post 3332336)
Have they ever done it...???

I'd like to se the lay out...

It's called the 36' Pleasure Deck. Has a cabin door on one side of the cockpit and a different engine hatch as well as dual deck railings.

No windshield either

Jesse James 02-22-2011 01:08 AM

There is one in the classifieds in the skater section all white with number fives. At pier 57

cdowns 02-22-2011 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by mikesufka (Post 3328170)
The majority of the "true cats" (aka - without pods) will "hop" between 50 and 80 MPH. The cats WITH pods do not "hop" at any speed.

However, the true cats are much better in rough water, or so they tell me.

I own a Spectre 30 with twin 300XS outboards and mine will "hop" between 55 and 75 MPH if I don't use the tunnel tab or if it's calm out. No big deal, just accelerate thru it or slow down. Runs awesome in rougher water.

I'm sure others will add more.

Mike

You obviously not running a MTI.... They dont hop..

RunninHotRacing163.1 02-22-2011 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by cdowns (Post 3332899)
You obviously not running a MTI.... They dont hop..

your right the MTI they dont hop , they just porpouise from 95 to 130 :party-smiley-004:

kap328 02-22-2011 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by nautdesign1 (Post 3330808)

ND1

Comment:

I agree 100% the 32 Doug Wright is the hull to beat in the 30-32 foot superboat class. The new 32 DW X-Cat hull is kicking azz in the middle east [X-Cat Series] where the competition is ferocious.

Even the older Doug Wright hulls from 2004 are still winning races and usually running first and second place at every venue.

I would join T2x's comments and add the following.

The center pod boats boats run more like mod-vp hulls than true cats. However, as pointed out not all the center-pod boats are the same... most at triple digit speeds have the pod completely out of the water and pack air nicely.

The center pod boats do hop if the water is very glassy and sticky at certain speeds... where the hull is trying to free up from the surface water tension. Whereas, a true cat under the same conditions would porpoise so bad it would feel like your a dolphin at Sea World.

Also the center pod design is required in a smaller 30ft and under single engine boat. You need somewhere to put the motor and drive. Hence, the widespread use on the West Coast where smaller boats are the norm and larger boats are the exception.

KAP