Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Catamaran's with/without Center-Pods..... >

Catamaran's with/without Center-Pods.....

Notices

Catamaran's with/without Center-Pods.....

Old 02-16-2011, 05:54 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 570 Likes on 263 Posts

Conclusion:.....Buy a Skater

T2x[/QUOTE]

Thats all that needs to be said!
Old 02-16-2011, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by LESSONLEARNED
DCB with Pod...

Skater with no Pod...

Great,, Great pics LESSONLEARNED....

Perfect Example..... Both Amazing Boats.....
DCB / Skater

THANKU...!!!!!!!
Old 02-16-2011, 06:23 PM
Registered

Smile

WOW,,, the DCB and Skater are alot different looking than I thought w/ that DCB center pod....

GREAT EXAMPLE N PICS... THANKU!
Old 02-16-2011, 08:02 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

T2x

Or an American Offshore

Or a Doug Wright

Or a Jaguar

Or a Motion

Or an MTI

Or a Nor-Tech

Or an Ocean Express

Or an Outerlimits

Or a Platinum

Or a Spectre
Old 02-16-2011, 08:15 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
Conclusion:.....Buy
...something... anything... and... run it....
Old 02-17-2011, 04:11 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Quinlan;3328420]Conclusion:.....Buy a Skater

I take exception to that. Buy a center pod if you boat on lakes and rivers most of the time and want a cabin of any size. You can also go in some ocean swells and spend the night or get out of the rain and go down below with the lady of the boat.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:36 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Centerpods are not simply a mistake by westcoast builders. They give better low speed manners to the boats. They plane at lower speeds, turn better at lower speeds, have less tendency for hop. They are certainly not an asset for offshore performance, but they were never designed to be that. They were designed to be more fun to operate in lakes and rivers. Take a ride in mine during a very rough poker run and you will get out with out bruised legs and shoulders. Quinlan, Cat, Tx2 come take a ride in my DCB.

Last edited by SkiDoc; 02-17-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:20 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KYElimEagle
Centerpods are not simply a mistake by westcoast builders. They give better low speed manners to the boats. They plane at lower speeds, turn better at lower speeds, have less tendency for hop. They are certainly not an asset for offshore performance, but they were never designed to be that. They were designed to be more fun to operate in lakes and rivers. Take a ride in mine during a very rough poker run and you will get out with out bruised legs and shoulders. Quinlan, Cat, Tx2 come take a ride in my DCB.
hey C'mon Eric what about me ??? I owned an ELIMINATOR once
Attached Thumbnails Catamaran's with/without Center-Pods.....-downloan-pix-7-7-09-cd-018.jpg   Catamaran's with/without Center-Pods.....-downloan-pix-7-7-09-cd-020.jpg   Catamaran's with/without Center-Pods.....-downloan-pix-7-7-09-cd-021.jpg  

Catamaran's with/without Center-Pods.....-downloan-pix-7-7-09-cd-015.jpg  
Old 02-17-2011, 06:25 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
Originally Posted by GLH
...something... anything... and... run it....
LMFAO, I just about pissed myself!

Originally Posted by T2x
Center pod cats were created after PowerCat Boats added a third "hull" to their line back in about 1960 to allow for a single engine in the center rather than duals. This has always been the reason why center pod cats exist....to allow for single engine propulsion. The pod will "protect" a center engine. The drawback is less airflow in the tunnel and therefore less lift which translates into lower speed at a specific wgt/hp. A center engine will also "trip" a cat when re-entering after being airborne at a high attack angle. The pod will also cause a bit of this alone, but without the severity. Since most West Coast cats are derivatives of each other, what you have is basic copying going on . So if one west coast cat has a pod...most of the rest do as well.

Bottom line, the pod cats have never been as competitive as non pod designs. This has often been disguised by putting huge HP in them to make up for the speed disadvantage and thereby proving the adage "if you put enough hp on a barge it will go fast".

One other thing is that the pod boats do not lope (porpoise) as much as the true cats because they do not have as much air beneath them to have a true transition from hydrodynamic lift to aerodynamic lift. They are more like a vee bottom with pontoons in that regard.

T2x
The man that would know summed it up well.

I would agree the pod boats do have a place on lakes and rivers, but this is OFFSHORE ONLY isn't it???

PeckerPuller, if you want to actually LEARN something rather than looking at pictures, playing with your toy boats, and coloring books, go read T2x's "Great Moments in Cat History" thread. You might actually learn a thing or two.

Or maybe not...
Old 02-17-2011, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I guess it is Offshoreonly, but why do Skaters show up at Lake Cumberland? Bill you are welcome to take a ride or come and drive. Hopefully will take it to Kentucky Lake for the fun run. You've got to make the Lake Cumberland run this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.