Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Catamaran's with/without Center-Pods..... >

Catamaran's with/without Center-Pods.....

Notices

Catamaran's with/without Center-Pods.....

Old 02-18-2011, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic
I did look at the Skater's, but the lack of a cabin, the wide load issue on the trailer and a couple of other things swayed me, but I have never ridden in one, so don't know the difference. Also, look as I might, I could never find that just right Skater that lit me up. Lots of stuff on the market, just not the right one for me. Maybe next time. Every time I come to the coast, I realize I will have to retire here in the next 6 or 7 years and then I will Skate.
Elim I am in the same situation. I have looked and continue to look at Skater but for the type of boating my family and friends do a larger cockpit and a cabin fit my needs. When we go out we may spend 8-10 hrs in the boat anchored at the beach with friends. We need some room in the cockpit. Most times we go out I have six people on the boat and generally when we anchor a couple more join us on the back of the boat sitting on the sun pad. For us a small cabin for a place to possibly change out of wet clothes, use a porta potty, storeage, privacy, get out of the sun or rain if needed. All indications now my next boat will be a used 30 or 33 Eliminator. They may not be the best offshore boats but they fit my needs the best. Currently I have a HTM sr24 and the cockpit and cabin are perfect for our type of boating. I just want a bigger boat with the same aneminities to handle rougher water better. If Skater built a boat layed out like a west coast boat I and alot of others would be all over it.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tbanzer
Elim I am in the same situation. I have looked and continue to look at Skater but for the type of boating my family and friends do a larger cockpit and a cabin fit my needs. When we go out we may spend 8-10 hrs in the boat anchored at the beach with friends. We need some room in the cockpit. Most times we go out I have six people on the boat and generally when we anchor a couple more join us on the back of the boat sitting on the sun pad. For us a small cabin for a place to possibly change out of wet clothes, use a porta potty, storeage, privacy, get out of the sun or rain if needed. All indications now my next boat will be a used 30 or 33 Eliminator. They may not be the best offshore boats but they fit my needs the best. Currently I have a HTM sr24 and the cockpit and cabin are perfect for our type of boating. I just want a bigger boat with the same aneminities to handle rougher water better. If Skater built a boat layed out like a west coast boat I and alot of others would be all over it.

36 skater is available with a cabin..
Old 02-18-2011, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SVL-WARLOCK
That american offshore is the only one on the list with a center pod. Someone made a mistake. lol Go out west where the real waves are, you will see eliminators and warlocks eating up the big waves. Whoever said that cats with center pods cant handle rough water is misinformed. Obviously never ridden in one in huge water. Also the 37 talon ran out there for years.
We ran one of the fastest pod boats ever built we used it as our meth injection test rig, or as we call it " Ice injection" @ over 2700 hp I drove our Talon 377 for 4 seasons and over 300 hrs Documented with our smaller 35p 4 blade props, to accelerate from 100mph into the 150s GPS in less than 10 seconds so I did learn how to drive this boat and what her limitations are.
There is another very fast 2200 hp 04 37' Talon on our bay that also stays home if its to rough.
All though we have no choice but to get on top to run, and in our case 95 mph+ or so to really pack enough air in the rough.
Pod boats do not eat up big water even a 1/3 as good as a Skater 5' shorter and they beat the living snot out of the drivers and passengers compared to a Skater ,done both brands many many times..
You may have seen a true 37' Talon with out the pod or someone who now lives at the chiropractors office.
No misinformation here.

Buy a Skater
Old 02-18-2011, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja555
36 skater is available with a cabin..
Id love a 36 Skater, but now its no where near my boating budget to buy, operate or insure currently. Not to mention the fact that if Im not mistaken its a 10 ft beem and I tow my boat to different locations regurally.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:43 AM
Registered

Id love a 36 Skater, but now its no where near my boating budget to buy, operate or insure currently. Not to mention the fact that if Im not mistaken its a 10 ft beem and I tow my boat to different locations regurally.
You are correct.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If Skater built a boat layed out like a west coast boat I and alot of others would be all over it.
+1 They'd have a much larger target market.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by T2x
Did I stutter?

Buy a Skater....... If I meant something else, I would have written it.

T2x
No you didn't stutter. I'm just saying the Skater is not the only cat with a true tunnel. U mad?
Old 02-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SVL-WARLOCK
That american offshore is the only one on the list with a center pod. Someone made a mistake. lol Go out west where the real waves are, you will see eliminators and warlocks eating up the big waves. Whoever said that cats with center pods cant handle rough water is misinformed. Obviously never ridden in one in huge water. Also the 37 talon ran out there for years.
Sorry, I should have said AO3100. The 26 is a centerpod cat(25 Talon splash). The 3100 does not have a centerpod.

Last edited by Catmando; 02-18-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:23 PM
Registered

No worries Cat. I also think that width has a lot to do with it. Take a 25 Talon, warlock,eliminator and they run just as fast as skater does. I had a 25 warlock with twin 300 and it went 115. About the same as 24-28 skater. The big boats have wide deep tunnels which I am sure addds to lift.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Just for the record I never said pod cats are slow or not good equipment.Nor do I want to insinuate that in any way.
As far as speed is concerned you wont notice the top speed difference between say a 2003 37' Talon vs a 2003 36' skater both equipped with Merc 900s #6 drives they both should run low 140s when set up correctly.
It is when you start adding more power that you see the real difference my power in a 36' Skater will run mid to high 170s ,not struggle to hit 160 crabbing all the way.Different animal all togther
Pod rides are fine for what they are but they cant be compared to a Skater in my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.