Like Tree0Likes

When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew?

Old 02-24-2011, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That is a good one.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

My Boats: Being a great husband and dad , boats , golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
Ouch- that had to hurt.

Not to mention the fact that that is very un-sportmanlike in addition to being illegal.

Can you tell us the vendors? (you used the term boat(s))

Thanks.

Uncle Dave
I'm over it and my great lesson in the boating business.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Registered

My Boats: Family- Sea Ray, Intrepid, Cobalt

Great thread for anybody (especially us young guys). Thanks for the advice!!
Old 02-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Banned

i wish i had know they were more addictive than any drug, alcohol, or gambling habit i have ever heard of!!!!
Old 02-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Dave View Post
Although I learned this years ago- make sure any single engine 28 (imco , latham, merc ITS) has some sort of steering assist or you will wear through gimbals prematurely at minimum a single hydraulic ram- bette ryet buy one fully hydraulic stem to stern and you wont have to bother with it going forward.

Uncle Dave
That one I haven't heard yet, thanks for bringing it up. Is it not commonly a standard item?

Gorgeous boat btw. What make is that? I love the blue.

Salt water sounds like a blast, but I suppose I'm glad I'm stuck on Lake Travis.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain YARRR View Post
That one I haven't heard yet, thanks for bringing it up. Is it not commonly a standard item?

Gorgeous boat btw. What make is that? I love the blue.

Salt water sounds like a blast, but I suppose I'm glad I'm stuck on Lake Travis.
External steering is very important for several reasons.
Its a common item among those in the know.
Its commonly left off many rigs that need it due to cost constraints. The parts are expensive, and the labor is expensive hence you dont see it on may rigs you should for cost reasons.

Any outdrive has to overcome the force of the water moving over the skeg to turn the boat. The internal steering rams that come with a stock outdrive become less effective as speeds increase.

Oh.. the wheel will turn. but the fluid starts to blow by the seals and the boat simply wont turn because the barely adequate stock stuff just isnt cut out for speeds much above 75-80.

Large single drive boats also pound the drive in all directions and are under severe stress upwards as much of the weight of the boats gets carried by the drive itself.

Any time you look at a used boat go up to it an lift up the skeg- straight up- more than 1/8 of play and its worn out.

Without the extra stabilization and shock absorption provided by external steering the gimbal that the drive "floats" in will wear quickly causing sloppy steering or break altogether.

Very bad.

Used performance boats with any hours at all without steering almost always need a new gimbal ring.

Both of my boats have a "built in" hydraulic steering systems called an ITS or integrated transom system. this is a tidy but expensive package that has the push pull rams built into the transom assembly - this is the expensive way to do it - cheaper would be bolt on externals either single or dual rams

Thanks for the compliment on my rig.

The maker is Laveycraft from southern california a small family owned business that has been around since 52.
They design all their own product in house (with the exception being a race boat canopy they bought from Skater) and are just fantastic people.

The Lavey 2750 was on of the first 27's on record to hit 90 with a stock 525 (see plaque)
and the 2750 won every race in its apba class in 2003& 2004 as well as the key west offshore world series in 2003.
The 2750 also won outstanding sport boat workmanship award from powerboat magazine the year it debuted.

Its a very seaworthy machine.

The Blue is actually gelcoat not paint - West coast uses gel, East coast uses paint for the most part- so what you see was sprayed directly into the mold upside down and backward and is much thicker than paint.

This boat is unusual in that it has a completely custom dash piece designed specifically for my nav system and a custom removable radar arch.

You can see a full build documentation in the Laveycraft forum under "out of the mold Im blown away."

Uncle Dave
Attached Thumbnails
When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew?-dsc05773.jpg   When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew?-dsc05785.jpg   When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew?-dsc05656.jpg  

When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew?-dsc08830.jpg   When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew?-dsc05731.jpg