Like Tree0Likes

When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew?

Old 02-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Registered

My Boats: 36' Apache

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigDaze View Post
(1)Don't buy a new boat. You may as well burn your money in the fireplace.

(2)Get the boat you really want. If you can't, then wait. I bought a 22' boat, which I ended up trading in on a 25' boat 8 months later, and then 3 years after that I got a 35' boat. You don't make money trading boats.
Great advise!!! Don't buy a boat till you can get what you really want. My first boat was/is a 36' Apache and it is what I had dreamed of owning since I was 18yrs old.

To this day I couldn't imagine getting rid of our resin bucket. I shopped for three years and when we were ready to pull the trigger everything was smooth as could be.

Last edited by baywatch; 02-17-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2012 Proboat MG29

Don't buy a boat without a clean title, in the name of the person/entity you are buying it from. If it has a bank lien on it, less than what you are paying for it, get the bank that holds the title involved with the payoff. NEVER make the check out to just the person on just "good faith", especially if it is a long distance transaction (like you drove 16 hours to get there). Make sure the bank's name is on the check too. If the bank lien is more than the price you are paying (ie, the "owner" needs to add some of his own $$) hire a good closing/title company (like the one's used in the house mortage industry), or work directly with the bank. Again, NEVER make the check out to just the owner unless you are leaving with the title signed over to you, in your hands. Same goes with boat dealers ... they are not all "straight up". Out of 9 boats I have owned, the only time I had any title problems was with a POS boat dealer who took my money and didn't provide the title, even though I had a signed, notarized, legally binding marine contract and bill of sale signed by the dealership owner and paid with certified bank funds made out to the dealership. Be sure to get the paperwork complete before you drive off with the boat hooked to your vehicle. Its amazing how they don't answer the phone once you have a paperwork problem.

Last edited by bob_t; 02-17-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:44 PM
VP of the tickfaw200

My Boats: 88 cigarette bullet, 2000 Baja 25 outlaw sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAriverratt View Post
+1...anybody interested in a 32' sunsation
its a very nice boat!

wish i would have whent 32+ with twins but due to insurence couldnt. never know how much work it was staying one step infront of the oil drives motor pumps etc. outboards are ez lol
Old 02-18-2011, 12:17 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity Vector View Post
First divorce the wife so she won't end up with half your boat
PreNup

First boat advice...

If your wanting to spend "x" amount of dollars, buy a newer/nicer/smaller boat than an older/bigger one. It'll be less headaches in the end. I know this from experience.
Also, look at what your going to do the most with the boat and buy appropriately. Example, I spend 80% of my time on smaller lakes with length/noise/horsepower limits than I do at Lake of the Ozarks, etc and I'm a trailer boater so my boat was actually the best fit right now.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:18 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My Boats: Using LS JR. TG

Merc drives instead of Volvo's & I did it twice.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Registered

I am thinking I want a single 496 HO powered boat. What should I expect from longevity and associated costs?
Old 02-18-2011, 06:37 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1989 Baja 265 Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElimiNordic View Post
If you buy a 28 or larger and you want to go fast, find a twin engine boat, because you will never get there on a single without big horsepower and with big comes lack of reliability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpzaluski View Post
PROPERLY maintaining a boat is far more expensive than you may expect. I'm not talking oil changes and drive fluid checks. I'm talking recommended service intervals for valve springs, full drive rebuilds... etc. I suppose it's the preventative maintenance that is sometimes insane. Seems like there are two groups of thought on this. There are the hammerheads that go run the dog scrap out of their boat and won't turn a bolt until something breaks in half. The other group does every maintenance item by line when it's called for. I think that a large performance boat is much like staying on top of a house. You have to stay on top of maintenance and improvements or things can get away from you and deteriorate fast.

An old friend of mine that was in the rental property business would tell me that the best indicator of a tenant was the condition of the car they drove. He said 99 times out of a 100 if their perspective tenants car was dirty, full of trash with bald tires they were getting ready to trash your property and leave you with a few months rent. Those that cared for their vehicles, no matter what year or tier were the best tenants. I think this thought process can be useful when buying a private party boat. Look beyond the cosmetic condition of the boat... the owners lifestyle and other possessions could potentially shed a bit of light on how the boat may have been cared for.

Just my 2 cents... I'm sure some will disagree.

These two statements are the best IMO. I didn't really know Baja's when i bought mine or performance boats for that matter. WOW.....I've learned a lot!!
Old 02-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Banned

My Boats: 1990 Eliminator 234 Edge, 1980 Nordic Blown Jet Boat, Rochelle Craft 20' Bowrider Jet Boat 2008 Eliminator 36' Speedster-Charter member of the "Too Damn Many Boats At One Time Club"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain YARRR View Post
I am thinking I want a single 496 HO powered boat. What should I expect from longevity and associated costs?
The 496 is a great engine for reliability and decent operating costs and maintenance cost. The only problem with it is make sure you are happy with its performance stock, as it is one of the worst if not the absolute bottom of the barrel to try and increase performance with. You will hear all kinds of people telling you they can work this motor over and get it to run, but they are not being truthful. If you think you will someday want to go FAST, and you will, stay far away from this motor.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boats: 308 Skater

Twins = two times the fun but two squared the trouble!

The two happiest days of a boat owner are the day you buy your boat and the day you sell it.

Don't buy anything you can't write a check for.

Cat all the way for speed and few boats have the reputation for quality and resale like a Skater.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Registered

My Boats: 2008 28' CAT LIGHTNING CUSTOM BOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElimiNordic View Post
The 496 is a great engine for reliability and decent operating costs and maintenance cost. The only problem with it is make sure you are happy with its performance stock, as it is one of the worst if not the absolute bottom of the barrel to try and increase performance with. You will hear all kinds of people telling you they can work this motor over and get it to run, but they are not being truthful. If you think you will someday want to go FAST, and you will, stay far away from this motor.
GREAT!!! I HAVE HAD 2 SHOPS TELL ME IF I SPEND AROUND $20000 I CAN BE IN THE 650HP RANGE. THE THING THAT IS SCREWING ME FROM SWAPPING TO ANOTHER MOTOR IS MY SMART CRAFT, NONE OF THE BLUE MOTORS WILL WORK WITH IT