Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew? >

When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew?

Notices

When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew?

Old 02-19-2011, 03:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Top 10 List

1. Pony up for a boat inspection. That would be money well spent. I bought a boat that ran great, sounded great, but had some problems.

2. Bring an experienced trusted boat buddy along for the inspection and water test. An objective 2nd opinion is a good thing.

3. Bring GPS for the on-water test. If it doesn't hit the speed the owner claims, use that to drive down the price.

4. Buy the engine you want long term. Upgrading later will cost much more than if you are patient and wait for what you want. If you want a 500hp, then buy it up front not later.

5. Consider all the extras - stereo, bimini top, covers, spare prop, etc. If you buy those with the boat, you get them pennys on the dollar.

6. Look hard at the trailer. If anything is wrong, use it to drive down the price and budget for repairs.

7. Buy a good looking boat. Buy one that gives you a rush just looking at it. Buy the color you want. If it isn't love at first sight it won't grow on you later.

8. Make sure you go low enough price/size that you can enjoy running it conscious free (finacially speaking). If you are second guessing yourself, you likely are going too expensive. Factor in a repair and maintence budget also. You want going to the lake to be fun, not a budget anxiety event.

9. Make a list of what you want up front. Research what boats will give you what you want.

10. BE PATIENT! If you miss a deal, there will be another better one alone later.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wet-N-Wild
GREAT!!! I HAVE HAD 2 SHOPS TELL ME IF I SPEND AROUND $20000 I CAN BE IN THE 650HP RANGE. THE THING THAT IS SCREWING ME FROM SWAPPING TO ANOTHER MOTOR IS MY SMART CRAFT, NONE OF THE BLUE MOTORS WILL WORK WITH IT
The 496ho would be the last motor you want to hot rod. Remove it and start with a different canvas and you will like the finished painting much more. In the long run it will be cheaper and better. The SmartCraft issue can be worked out. IMO
Old 02-19-2011, 08:12 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Great advice eceptor!
Its cheaper to buy the hp you want to begin with than to upgrade later.
496's are great motors (I have them), leave them stock. By the time you upgrade the bottem ends, you could have bought 454 or 502 long blocks to build. If you start with 496's, I would build other engines and sell the 496's or store them until you sell the boat.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

After modding cars and knowing how much "personality" they get, I know that I'm going to stay way clear of upgrades. It's frustrating when you have to pull off the side of the road because your car broke down. It's way more frustrating to have 10 people on your boat and wait for the tow company.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Captain YARRR
I'm doing my research and planning on getting a 28' or so performance boat in the next couple years. I was thinking about when I bought performance cars in the past, there were things you only realize after you bought them.

So what do you wish you researched more or what do you wish you knew at that time?
I have a high performance 28 footer myself.
4 things Id tell any prospective owner.

I wish Id known the true relationship between the rebuild time on the drive and my right arm.

Being a former lake guy vs I wish I knew that a sea strainer needs to be "charged" with water before you drop it in the water. I know about dry runs of course but a strainer has longer than normal length and if the run Dries out you can fry an impeller easily.

Bring 2 radios everywhere they are cheap.

Prepare for a 1-1 ratio of salt water running vs cleaning.
Ful day boating pretty much equal a full day of cleaning.

You can see my build from beginning to end in the Laveycraft forum under the heading- "out of the mold Im blown away"

good luck!

Uncle Dave
Old 02-23-2011, 04:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

This is a great thread!!
Old 02-23-2011, 07:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ECeptor
My Top 10 List

1. Pony up for a boat inspection. That would be money well spent. I bought a boat that ran great, sounded great, but had some problems.

2. Bring an experienced trusted boat buddy along for the inspection and water test. An objective 2nd opinion is a good thing.

3. Bring GPS for the on-water test. If it doesn't hit the speed the owner claims, use that to drive down the price.

4. Buy the engine you want long term. Upgrading later will cost much more than if you are patient and wait for what you want. If you want a 500hp, then buy it up front not later.

5. Consider all the extras - stereo, bimini top, covers, spare prop, etc. If you buy those with the boat, you get them pennys on the dollar.

6. Look hard at the trailer. If anything is wrong, use it to drive down the price and budget for repairs.

7. Buy a good looking boat. Buy one that gives you a rush just looking at it. Buy the color you want. If it isn't love at first sight it won't grow on you later.

8. Make sure you go low enough price/size that you can enjoy running it conscious free (finacially speaking). If you are second guessing yourself, you likely are going too expensive. Factor in a repair and maintence budget also. You want going to the lake to be fun, not a budget anxiety event.

9. Make a list of what you want up front. Research what boats will give you what you want.

10. BE PATIENT! If you miss a deal, there will be another better one alone later.
Well written.

I would add one thing, buy the biggest boat you can afford so you not wanting to upgrade after the first year.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Prepare for a 1-1 ratio of salt water running vs cleaning.
Ful day boating pretty much equal a full day of cleaning.
Wow, that's one I haven't heard. That sounds pretty rough! I'm sure it's a lot harder to find people for a day cleaning than a day on the water.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:07 AM
Registered

Wow, that's one I haven't heard. That sounds pretty rough! I'm sure it's a lot harder to find people for a day cleaning than a day on the water.
Its actually brutal.

The tendency is to let it sit while you relax and calm down after backing her in from the days run- but in a salt environment thats the worst thing you can do is let it dry it takes us HOURS to clean all the nooks and crannies and reach down inside the engine bay and insure there is no salt residue left.

Make your "friends know you need them at the wash down as much as you need them at the gas pump.

You even have to wash the trailer down thoroughly or watch it deteriorate quickly as well.

With some lake water its so hard its almost as bad as salt. after 3 days on lake mojave I needed professional help with the clean up

The guys telling you not to mod engines are right on as well.
There a very few things you can do with bolt on pieces but if you need to go any farther than that just go buy what you think you need and put the stocker on a pallet. You can erase decade of savings -redoing engines over and over - front end if if you want to play the "fast" game.

Although I learned this years ago- make sure any single engine 28 (imco , latham, merc ITS) has some sort of steering assist or you will wear through gimbals prematurely at minimum a single hydraulic ram- bette ryet buy one fully hydraulic stem to stern and you wont have to bother with it going forward.

I admire your proactivity & guts for coming onto a board like this and actually asking for advice- show you are likely a stand up guy. More guys would be better off if they admitted they dont know everything.

Heres a pic of my GF "cleaning my pipes" and a few shot of my rig.

Uncle Dave
Attached Thumbnails When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew?-gf-cleaning-pipes.jpg   When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew?-ilmor-710-pallett.jpg   When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew?-mdr-tie-up.jpg  

When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew?-img_0482a.jpg   When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew?-img_0583.jpg  

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 02-23-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Registered

Its actually brutal.

The tendency is to let it sit while you relax and calm down after backing her in from the days run- but in a salt environment thats the worst thing you can do is let it dry it takes us HOURS to clean all the nooks and crannies and reach down inside the engine bay and insure there is no salt residue left.

Make your "friends know you need them at the wash down as much as you need them at the gas pump.

You even have to wash the trailer down thoroughly or watch it deteriorate quickly as well.

With some lake water its so hard its almost as bad as salt. after 3 days on lake mojave I needed professional help with the clean up

The guys telling you not to mod engines are right on as well.
There a very few things you can do with bolt on pieces but if you need to go any farther than that just go buy what you think you need and put the stocker on a pallet. You can erase decade of savings -redoing engines over and over - "front end it" if you want to play the "fast" game.

Although I learned this years ago- make sure any single engine 28 (imco , latham, merc ITS) has some sort of steering assist or you will wear through gimbals prematurely at minimum a single hydraulic ram- better yet buy one fully hydraulic stem to stern and you have to bother with it going forward.

I admire your proactivity & guts for coming onto a board like this and actually asking for advice- shows you are likely a stand up guy. More guys would be better off if they admitted they dont know everything. Including me 2o years ago.

Heres a pic of my GF "cleaning my pipes" and a few shot of my rig.

Uncle Dave
Attached Thumbnails When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew?-img_0483a.jpg   When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew?-img_0583.jpg   When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew?-img_0480a.jpg  

When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew?-gf-cleaning-pipes.jpg   When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew?-dsc05606.jpg  

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 02-23-2011 at 10:25 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.