Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew? >

When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew?

Notices

When you bought your first perf. boat, what do you wish you knew?

Old 02-17-2011, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wish someone would of told me twins burn twice the fuel, lot's of people say twins dont use that much more than a single because their not working as hard
Old 02-17-2011, 11:18 AM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep 5 grand stashed for emergency repairs. At least that will get you in the shop.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by srx 780
wish someone would of told me twins burn twice the fuel, lot's of people say twins dont use that much more than a single because their not working as hard
LOL...and when i hear someone say your maintenance with twins is double that of a single, I call bullsht on that one.

It's 4X.

MTBF summation with serial systems is not linear.

A serial system is one in which you need all components to function in order for the whole system to function. In other words, let's say a particular engine has a 50% probability of surviving 100 hours. When you have two engines, the probability of both engines surviving 100 hours concurrently is only 25%

Old 02-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CigDaze
LOL...and when i hear someone say your maintenance with twins is double that of a single, I call bullsht on that one.

It's 4X.

MTBF summation with serial systems is not linear.

A serial system is one in which you need all components to function in order for the whole system to function. In other words, let's say a particular engine has a 50% probability of surviving 100 hours. When you have two engines, the probability of both engines surviving 100 hours concurrently is only 25%

So what your saying is, if you buy a boat with tripps you might as well just leave it on the trailer ?
Old 02-17-2011, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris288
So what your saying is, if you buy a boat with tripps you might as well just leave it on the trailer ?
NEVER buy a boat with trips unless your a glutton for punishment!
Old 02-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Banned

If you buy a 28 or larger and you want to go fast, find a twin engine boat, because you will never get there on a single without big horsepower and with big comes lack of reliability.
The one thing that always amazed me is how much money I have spent over the years going fast. I remember telling my first wife all we had to do is buy the boat and the rest was just fuel. This hobby is like having a house full of coke heads all living under one roof. I started out with a real good boat and then repowered it over and over again, and the one thing I learned is, on the water, there is no place for anything but the absolute best parts. I used to try the good crank, the good rods and the real good off the shelf forged pistons in my blower motors along with other good parts. I quickly learned any money I saved up front I paid for three times over down the line. I use custom pistons made to our specs, Carrillo rods, gear drives, inconel valves and the best parts I can find and it never bites me in the rear. Buy the best you can and never scrimp on anything. It comes back three fold on you. I honestly do not know how a regular guy who works for someone can afford to performance boat, as it is expensive. You will see.
I am asked all the time why I have multiple boats and this is no joke. It is so when one is broken down, I have back up. I can't stand to not be on the water every weekend and the only way I can do that is having 3 or 4 boats as spares. Good luck finding the ride. You will love it if you are like most of us here. It gets in your blood...and your wallet.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jpzaluski
PROPERLY maintaining a boat is far more expensive than you may expect. I'm not talking oil changes and drive fluid checks. I'm talking recommended service intervals for valve springs, full drive rebuilds... etc. I suppose it's the preventative maintenance that is sometimes insane. Seems like there are two groups of thought on this. There are the hammerheads that go run the dog scrap out of their boat and won't turn a bolt until something breaks in half. The other group does every maintenance item by line when it's called for. I think that a large performance boat is much like staying on top of a house. You have to stay on top of maintenance and improvements or things can get away from you and deteriorate fast.

An old friend of mine that was in the rental property business would tell me that the best indicator of a tenant was the condition of the car
they drove. He said 99 times out of a 100 if their perspective tenants car was dirty, full of trash with bald tires they were getting ready to trash your property and leave you with a few months rent. Those that cared for their vehicles, no matter what year or tier were the best tenants. I think this thought process can be useful when buying a private party boat. Look beyond the cosmetic condition of the boat... the owners lifestyle and other possessions could potentially shed a bit
of light on how the boat may have been cared for.

Just my 2 cents... I'm sure some will disagree.
Great advice
Old 02-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Registered

(1)Don't buy a new boat. You may as well burn your money in the fireplace.

(2)Get the boat you really want. If you can't, then wait. I bought a 22' boat, which I ended up trading in on a 25' boat 8 months later, and then 3 years after that I got a 35' boat. You don't make money trading boats.
Wow!!! Your almost as bad as me. I wanted a performance boat right out the gate but the wife wanted a family boat (man I liked that 21' Sea Ray) I had that for 1yr then got a 25' Lightning Custom Boat only had that one 6 weeks, then moved up to my 28' Lightning cat I have now (man I love this boat!!!) My next upgrade if I can ever afford it will be to a DCB, MTI, Skater, or Nor Tech cat. Time will tell and so will the bank acct.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Registered

dont buy, find a friend that boats alot.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Registered

(1)Don't buy a new boat. You may as well burn your money in the fireplace.

(2)Get the boat you really want. If you can't, then wait. I bought a 22' boat, which I ended up trading in on a 25' boat 8 months later, and then 3 years after that I got a 35' boat. You don't make money trading boats.
+1

I really screwed the pooch on this one here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.