Notices

Powerboat Shootout!! Gunning for Doug Lewis - Fundraiser - Please Read

Old 06-22-2002, 11:23 AM
Michelle May-Schmidt

Default Powerboat Shootout!! Gunning for Doug Lewis - Fundraiser - Please Read

A Tribute to Jack Carmody Race Event -
Corpus Christi’s Allen Samuels Chevrolet Powerboat Shootout!! Gunning for Lewis
Fundraiser for Don Q Crystal Crew Chief - Doug Lewis to be held

Fort Lauderdale, FL - - Why do we race? A number of reasons, mainly, fun and friendship, but in the last few years, helping others has been played a major part in why we work so hard at what we do. That’s why a message from Rich Luhrs and Pat Patel about Doug Lewis of Professional Marine Racing, had such an impact, not just to me, but to everyone in the offshore community. Shots have rung out, loud and clear, and this time, they call attention to us before, and not after, the fact, while there is still time to do something for Doug, who is notable for working with teams including Pat Patel’s InContempt and Don Q Crystal, and Rich Trippoli’s Shockwave. First, l want to share that message:

A Message from Rich Luhrs and Pat Patel
A Friend Could Use Your Help -
Doug Lewis of Professional Marine Racing

Doug Lewis needs your help! As friends of Doug and Leeanne’s, Rich and I are sending you this letter with the hope that you’ll help us in this time of need. As you may already know, Doug has Multiple Myeloma (MM) a type of cancer that strikes only 1% of those people that get cancer. MM, cancer of the bone marrow, while rare, is a closely related cousin of Leukemia. Each year 14,000 people are diagnosed with new cases of MM; 11,000 of those people will die. After having surgery in 2001 to remove a malignant tumor in his thigh we had all hoped and prayed that he was cured; unfortunately, that is not the case. In December 2001, he was re-diagnosed with MM. This time the disease is in his ribs, spine and skull.

Without a bone marrow transplant his health will continue to deteriorate, quickly. Doug is presently undergoing chemotherapy in preparation of a transplant. When treatment is completed sometime early this summer, his wish is to go to the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (FHCRC) in Seattle, Washington for a bone marrow transplant. This transplant could save his life, without one, however, Doug has no chance of survival. FHCRC is the number one facility in the country for treatment of MM and bone marrow transplants. Because Doug would have to relocate to Seattle for approximately six to nine months, Doug and Leeanne need to raise in excess of $100,000 to pay for medical expenses not covered by medical insurance. The need for long-term housing, transportation, transplant donor expenses, outpatient services and homecare/emergency nursing services in addition to other out-of-pocket costs not yet identified are just a few of the extra expenses that will have to be covered.

Would you please help Doug reach his goal so that the transplant will become a reality? Your donation would give Doug a much-needed lifeline until a cure can be found. Your generous contribution will go a long way in not only helping to save Doug’s life but also the lives of many others battling this terrible disease. Thank you for your kindness and generosity.

Friends of Doug Lewis -
Patrick Patel & Rich Luhrs

Now... How you can help? The answer is within your reach. Help in whatever way you can.

The Offshore Racing Review, has teamed up with Elaine Motl, Race Producer for the Allen Samuels Chevrolet Powerboat Shootout!! in Corpus Christi to hold a Fundraiser for Doug Lewis at the Friday Night Racer Party.
Prizes of all shapes and sizes are NEEDED for a Raffle and Live Auction to be held that night, (location announced next month). Want to volunteer at the party for a couple hours? We can use that, too!

But, whether you donate or participate, we anticipate your support!!. Remember, this race is also a Tribute to Jack Carmody, and what better way to keep his memory alive than to help one of our own, so give what you can. More details on the exact location of the party will be announced mid-July, so stay tuned to www.GetTheEdgeRacing.com the Offshore Racing Review and future posts on OSO to hear the details.

Care to send a donation of money? Please send a check made payable as: "Walk on the Water of Faith Church of Deliverance, Inc." and mail to Patrick G. Patel, Attorney at Law 580 Newark Avenue, Jersey City, NJ 07306. Mark ATTN: Doug Lewis. The Church is a 501(C)(3) accredited charity and upon receipt of your donation, you will be sent written acknowledgment. For any questions you may have on Doug or the charity may be directed to Pat Patel at (908) 415-9482 or Rich at (845) 430-4500.

Donations of Prizes may be send to: Michelle May - Schmidt, 1315 NW 104th Drive, Coral Springs, FL 33071, marked Leave At Door. To Volunteer to help at the Friday Night Party in Texas, please contact Michelle May- Schmidt at 954-796-9226, email: [email protected].
And THANKS in advance, for your generous support!

Old 06-22-2002, 11:54 AM
SunseekerNY

Michelle:

When is this event? I'd like to help.

Jennifer

Old 06-22-2002, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jennifer,
It was great meeting you at Billy's last weekend. The Corpus race is APBA event and is scheduled for August 23-25. It has some of the best spectator viewing of any venue. The organizers are first class. Barkley
Old 06-22-2002, 01:13 PM
SunseekerNY

Dear Barkley:

Refresh my memory. Which one were you? I met so many people. Are you the big guy with the beard?

Jennifer

Old 06-22-2002, 02:36 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Funny -

...That's pretty much the way everybody describes Barkley (PokerFace).
Old 06-22-2002, 03:18 PM
Michelle May-Schmidt

Hate to interrupt here, but can I count on any of you to donate or get ahold of a prize for this auction? Short of having someone pay to have you de-bearded Barkley, I know I can get you to give me a www.PokerRun.com gift basket, with maybe a couple hats, shirts, bags, & how about a ride on your paceboat in Texas?
How about the rest of you? I will take anything big or small, to package together with other items.
Autographed pix of boats, t-shirts, dinner certificates, an oil change, WHATEVER.

Pull the rabbits out of the hats...I mean hulls... and send something my way = for Doug!
Thanks
Michelle

Old 06-22-2002, 08:28 PM
SunseekerNY

Dear Michelle:

DON'T PICK ON ME!!!!

I'm gonna spank you when I see you!

I am TENTATIVELY scheduled to attend this event and will do whatever I can to help. Also take a look at www.powerboatingcharities.com to see what I am already doing for Doug. Feel free to use this site to promote any power boating charity or fund raiser you are doing at any event. Just get me all the information.

In the meantime, like Monday, I will start making some phone calls. Give me a call tomorrow around 10 p.m. or Monday. I am meeting with a sponsor tomorrow night.

We have the opportunity to do a lot of good here, so count me in!

Jennifer

Old 06-22-2002, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Already did
Robert