Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
A Fountain 47’ converted to diesels for use with biodiesel? >

A Fountain 47’ converted to diesels for use with biodiesel?

Notices

A Fountain 47’ converted to diesels for use with biodiesel?

Old 02-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Fountain 47’ converted to diesels for use with biodiesel?

If you were to buy a go fast boat, 35', 42' 47' or whatever/etc. less power, and wanted to put diesel engines in, what are your options?

What else would be needed or needed to be changed?

Just thinking as you can make your own biodiesel or make it yourself for $1.00 or less…

Would bring your fuel costs down 75% and would be much more reliable?

Thoughts?
Old 02-19-2011, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Start with you can't run bio-diesel in anything off the shelf you would buy. You can run B20 and that is about as much as any stock diesel engine will take long term. So your $1 a gal is only for 20% of the $3.50 a gal diesel costs.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:37 PM
Registered

What kind of modifications have to be made on a "standard" diesel engine,Cummings,Caterpillar, Duramax ect.In either a truck or a boat? Can't a bio diesel run on corn/ vegetable oil?? Doesn't corn/ vegetable oil cost about $1+ per gal at the grocery store? I read an article recently about a company that has had luck Marinizing a Duramax with some good HP and torque #s. Any thoughts or people with experience with Bio Diesels here on OSO?

Last edited by offshoresteve; 02-19-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
Start with you can't run bio-diesel in anything off the shelf you would buy. You can run B20 and that is about as much as any stock diesel engine will take long term. So your $1 a gal is only for 20% of the $3.50 a gal diesel costs.
How do I find a more detailed definition on your post?

I guess I though you could run bio-diesel in any diesel engine...

B20?

So you can only use 20% bio and 80% regular diesel?

thanks
Old 02-20-2011, 12:12 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Cat found out the hard way about 5 -6 years ago at a big co-gen plant they powered in Brazil. The pure bio-diesel ate the rubber seals in the fuel pumps they also had injector issues as well. Here is a little something to read, not a scientific paper but some info and links -

http://www.enviroharvest.ca/biodiesel_power.htm

also this but it is older http://www.biodieselmagazine.com/art...e-green-power/

and

MYTH #4: You must convert your vehicle to run biodiesel.
FACT: Let me describe the conversion process (which is also outlined under 6 Ways To Find And Use Biodiesel Anywhere): Drive to the nearest biodiesel pump, put the spout in the side of the car, and pump the biodiesel into your fuel tank (provided it’s a diesel). That’s it. You can use biodiesel in almost any diesel engine without modification. In fact, if you own a diesel vehicle you can probably fill it up today with 100% biodiesel (B100) and should experience no problems whatsoever.

That being said, there are two major exceptions for newer vehicles: if you’re worried about voiding your warranty, or if your car’s operating manual specifically prohibits using biodiesel. I’ll deal with warranty issues further down the page, but let me say here that I’ve only heard of one manufacturer explicitly prohibiting biodiesel use in a new diesel, and that’s Audi’s A3. Presumably this has something to do with the intense pressures and precise fuel injection parameters of newer engines, but VW still warranties B5 biodiesel in their brand new 2009 Clean Diesel Jetta TDI.

But for users where those two exceptions don’t apply, let me repeat this: you can use ANY amount of biodiesel (see cold weather considerations below), from B2 to B100, in a diesel engine with NO immediate or necessary modification to the engine.

I love this myth#4, it states that Audi prohibits Bio and VW will only warrenty it's use up to B5 BUT they say you can use any amount of bio in a diesel with NO immediate modifications. So when does immediate end 100 hrs, 1000 hrs or 10,000 hr?
and lastly

•Regular Diesel Fuel = 128,500 BTUs
•Gasoline = 125,071 BTUs
•Biodiesel = 118,296 BTUs
•Ethanol = 76,000 BTUs

Ok, see the BTU's? You run 100% bio and you'll be down 9% on your power and burn more of it to make the same power.

No offense to anyone but I find this so funny, people on here worry about the quality of gas they buy, is the octane 1 or 2 points off but most people think about a diesel and say "hey, it's a diesel it will burn anything!" I think that comes from the 6-71's where you could honestly run diesel with water in it through the military injectors and not do much harm.

Today high speed diesels are everybit as high tech as that new turbo Merc engine, unltra high fuel pressures, extra small nozzle orffices, just don't assume all is good because tree huggers want it?
Old 02-20-2011, 01:00 AM
Registered

I stopped at a truck stop in Fl. I believe Flying J,all the had was B15. I reluctantly put some in my 2008 GMC 3500,I did notice my mileage according to the computer was Worse with the b15.I won't do that again.I just recently had to replace the fuel tank and all fuel lines,gaskets in one of my Isuzu cab over landscape trucks.The mechanic told me the additives In the low sulfur fuel ate the lining out if the tank and ruined the gaskets in the fuel pump.$2,500 later I was back up in running.A few years ago I spent 5k + shipping to and from Skater to have my tanks re done in my 28 Skater because of Ethanol.Todays Fuels Suck S--t!!! Sign of the times
Old 02-20-2011, 03:51 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It really is a shame that biodiesel is not more widespread. It would be very well suited to a marine diesel application, both in cruising and high performance varieties.

The fact that it can be made at home would reduce costs in the long run, not to mention that it is rather empowering to be able to manufacture your own fuel. While I have never used biodiesel, I have been looking into it extensively. For all its perceived disadvantages, it really is an excellent solution, along with a few other little-known practices that were once commonplace such as gasification, etc.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The $$$$ cost of converting to diesel will buy many, many gallons of gas.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:43 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Jake
The $$$$ cost of converting to diesel will buy many, many gallons of gas.
This sentiment is shared by a great many individuals. Many of them perceive the whole biodiesel thing as merely a highly limited, costly hassle that is hardly worth a moment's consideration. And for some folks, that is a perfectly valid point of view to maintain. However, that same point of view is often defended to the last breath, even when the benefits which surely outweigh the initial cost is painfully obvious. Again, whether or not these benefits apply to an individual is highly dependent on one's own situation.

Certainly the costs would be higher initially to convert, but if you make your own fuel, which is a large part of the attraction, you no longer need to worry when fuel prices skyrocket, and you could always pull up to a gas dock and add a bit of diesel to supplement. At the very least, you have a steady source of fuel that is going to be both available and affordable in the long run.

Obviously, I am a proponent of biodiesel (and e100) because it would suit my ( and a great many others') situation immensely.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

I would think a 47 fountain with Triple diesels would sit so low the bow rail woudl be underwater.

Food for thought...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.