Notices

Ride Share/Boat Slutting

Old 10-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ride Share/Boat Slutting

Curious if there were a "ride share" area located on the board if people would use it?

Basically, Someone posts up an event (poker run, races, etc) they would like to attend that is considerable distance from them geographically and someone from the requested area contacts the inquiring party and they work out a trade for the opportunity to attend the event with them in their vessel. Either strait monetary compensation or they could have the favor returned to attend an event on the other party's vessel at their home location.

Hypothetical scenario:

I want to go to the emerald coast poker run or key west but don't really have the time to haul my boat 20+hours to attend and wouldn't really know where I am going once I get there. So I am looking for a boater for my wife and I to ride along with for the event.

Through an area on the board I am able to post the inquiry and I find someone that is willing to let my wife and I ride along and join them for the event. I offer a trade of sorts in that they can pick an event to come to at LOTO (shootout, mwbp poker run etc.) and join us in our boat to see the area and stay in our rental condo. The two parties are able to coordinate travel, lodging, expectations of the trip, expenses, etc.

As I was working today I was thinking about an upcoming key west trip that may or may not be happening and what a logistical pain it is to get a group of people from my geographical area to make the haul and commit to the event. Then I got to thinking about the fact that I have put 66 hours on my boat this year and usually it is just my wife and I and possibly our kid and there has got to be someone that probably would be happy to attend the shootout or other event and fill up a couple of our seats.

I realize that the potential exists to end up with someone that your personalities don't gel. I also realize that this would be more for the Average Joe type of boater that doesn't have a million dollar skater or a six figure poker run budget (because they would just pay their hauler to ship their boat to the event).

So, curious if I am crazy in thinking this sort of thing might be a good idea?

-Josh

Last edited by baywatch; 10-07-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:52 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

Josh, not a bad idea at all. Only 66hrs??? You are slipping. We were on board for a few of them.
Just post up some hot pics of Angel and someone will at least give her a boat ride in Key West
I think people might be a little leary of the commitment with someone they have never met though. I also think it might get abused by people wth nothing to offer in return and just looking for free rides.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
Josh, not a bad idea at all. Only 66hrs??? You are slipping. We were on board for a few of them.
Just post up some hot pics of Angel and someone will at least give her a boat ride in Key West
I think people might be a little leary of the commitment with someone they have never met though. I also think it might get abused by people wth nothing to offer in return and just looking for free rides.
Scott, I agree with your statements. My personal biggest fear would be I line something up and Angel and I show up and we are with a crew similar to the crew in the white trash fountain ad on ebay.

I suppose it would boil down to the old risk/reward scenario.

As far as the hot pics of Angel that doesn't work so well with her career if you know what I mean. I haven't even mentioned to her yet that the trip probably isn't happening. I actually have three different options for her to choose from since we already have a sitter for the kid to stay at our house and take him to school and stuff (plus she would kill me if I didn't have a contingency plan).

Hey Scott, our other condo is open this weekend and we have room in our boat for the harbor hop (you could even bring the kids, we'll have Everest with us).
Old 10-08-2010, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Griff
I think people might be a little leary of the commitment with someone they have never met though.
That is why I do not offer to more people visiting FL, I kinda gotta know you, or at least you have to be a long time poster on one of the boards, so I can tell your not some kinda weirdo. I have given a few visitors a day out on the boat, and I can deal with a freak, but my wife would tie the anchor to them, and throw them overboard.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I think your missing the point....

Nobody is twisting your arm to give a ride. There are a lot of people here, quite a few have met before or have known each other here for a while and then there are people who are unknown. Just because you have an extra seat for blah blah poker run and post it doen't mean you have to give it to the first guy that asks about it. In the 5 years or so I have been around the boards I have met some really great people and had some really good times.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty cool idea!!!!
Old 10-08-2010, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phragle

Nobody is twisting your arm to give a ride. There are a lot of people here, quite a few have met before or have known each other here for a while and then there are people who are unknown. Just because you have an extra seat for blah blah poker run and post it doen't mean you have to give it to the first guy that asks about it. In the 5 years or so I have been around the boards I have met some really great people and had some really good times.
Ok then,

I think it would work. I have been given a few rides also, some amazing ones, more than I can give in return, and agree that someday I would like to see LOTO, and havasu, but probably not going to trailer that far, and most people visit florida eventually, and probably wouldnt want to tow down here.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle

Yeah, that was sort of my point that you only do it if you want to etc and in speaking with the person you can get a good feel for whether it is a good fit. For instance, if someone wanted to hang with us for the weekend and they were 21 yrs old and asked to bring their beer bong I would quickly determine that it wouldn't be a good fit for my wife and I.

I agree we have met so many great people boating and the great people far outnumber the DB's we have dealt with.

I have found that most boaters are very similar in nature have worked very hard for what they have and like to enjoy their time on the water. I just thought this might be a cool way to potentially meet people from other areas.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a really good idea. I have made some long azz trailer trips to go boating and you are always at the mercy of the weather etc when you arrive. You never know where the good ramps, docks, bars etc are and if you don't know anyone in the area, it can be a disaster if you happen to take a wrong turn by the hidden rock that only the natives know about . I know I would like to do LOTO someday but thats one heck of a trailer ride from here. Same goes for Havazoo. There is some pretty spectacular boating and several really good poker / fun runs that happen up here that I am certain visitors would really enjoy as well BUT, its a long azz trailer ride from the southern states to Ontario so a ride swap deally could be just the ticket.

It would definately be a great way for some to see other parts of the boating world, thats for sure.

As for conflict and personality clashes, pretty sure most could be avoided just by relating the person in question to their history on the board. If they are somewhat of a pennis head on here, odds are they are in real life too. Conversly, if they have been here a while and no BS follows them, odds are they would make good crew. At least they should understand how to lend a hand with lines and fenders.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:22 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

I think it is a great idea Josh and worth exploring. We often get OSO's visiting SW Florida and some have joined us for an FMO event. Many are too shy to ask when seats are available but if there were a system in place to facilitate it, would be great. Rather than take money I have sometimes suggested if a person wants to make a donation to FMO's charitable fund raising would be nice.

BTW, 4 of us OSO's are leaving Marco Island this afternoon for Key West and have some room if you can get here by 2 PM. LOL

Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.