Notices

Insurance

Old 02-23-2011, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance

Who is everyone using as insurance... I keep getting the "since you haven't owned a 25 ft boat before, we won't insure you"... How the hell is someone supposed to start or go up in size? Everyone starts somewhere..
Old 02-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

It's probably the type of boat you own rather than the length. Mainstream ins. co. like Allstate, State Farm, etc. usually won't insure performance boats.

Although, State Farm insured all the boats I've owned. After I purchased my latest boat SF told me that they would not insure it. They later changed their mind.

I'm thinking of switching to either Wakezone or Total Dollar. I've gotten pretty competitive quotes from both. I also got a decent quote from Boat US.

Check out the "Insurance and Finance" section, lots of info in there.

BTW, age and driving record can effect your rates too.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Registered

Boat US said I didnt have enough experience. I've been around boats all my life, just never got to own one (even ran my uncles 37 foot sea ray)... but I'm 29, clean driving record too..

I told my insurance "You'll insure my bike that runs 220mph, but you won't insure a boat that goes 80?" lol... What a PITA...
Old 02-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Registered

Try NBOA at nboat.com I have used them for a couple years and they have been great and affordable. I went from a 22' to a 38 and made a huge HP jump but I did have a lot of experience in lots of different boats.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sleev-les
Boat US said I didnt have enough experience. I've been around boats all my life, just never got to own one (even ran my uncles 37 foot sea ray)... but I'm 29, clean driving record too..

I told my insurance "You'll insure my bike that runs 220mph, but you won't insure a boat that goes 80?" lol... What a PITA...
"You'll insure my bike that runs 220mph, but you won't insure a boat that goes 80?"

ya that makes sense to me too, and just let them know you always have someone on the back of the bike at that speed
Old 02-23-2011, 03:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

State Farm insured my 29 Fountain and 35 Cig.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Look in the Insurance and Finance section of this website. There are several insurers.

I was in the same boat as you. My first boat was basically my Cafe Racer at the age of 26 so I paid through the roof the first year. After the first year I ended up switching to Wake Zone and am happy with the service, coverage and in particular the rate. Stacey is great to deal with and would be worth a call.

Sea-Dated and plenty of others had luck with SF, but they insured me for about 3 weeks until the underwriters dropped me effective the night before July 4th - I was so pissed I moved anything from them and will never use them again for everything. My family had been with them for 30 plus years with only one or two claims (not mine, I never had any claims or tickets) and they wouldn't go to bat for me so we dropped them.

Last edited by seafordguy; 02-23-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Registered

I just tried Stacey and she referred me to a program for smaller boats with more power. I put a call in and they are looking into it. I'm going to cross my fingers....
Old 02-23-2011, 04:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

State Farm has insured our 25 Outlaw, 29 Outlaw, 33 Outlaw, 42 Fountain with triple 525 SC and now has our 47 Fountian with triple 500 EFI's. Always great service and awesome rates.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Registered

Yeah, SF told me that the boat can't go faster than 60mph....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.