Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   New Theme Boat! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/248036-new-theme-boat.html)

36Tango 02-21-2011 04:35 PM

New Theme Boat!

3 Attachment(s)
10 years ago, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. It showed up on a mammogram, and it was one of those "it should not be a problem, but....". After a double mastectomy, chemo, and radiation, she has been cancer free for 10 years. On December 6th (my birthday also) we celebrated her 70th. There has been plenty of cancer in our family, and every one of us know somebody that has suffered, or is suffering from this dreaded disease. In the past month, a guy that I work with was diagnosed with cancer, and just last week, another co-workers Mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer. cancer pretty well sucks.

When my mom had cancer, I learned that there are resources that we have here locally that can help both the one that has it, and thier support group, which includes friends and family. there is technology available that I never knew of, and there are screening processes that can enhance the chances of finding cancers at the earliest. I had thought for years about taking something that I hate, cancer, and combining it with something that my family and I love, which is boating. I have been watching for one for years, but when I saw a 2000 Armada batBoat, come up for sale, I knew that the stars had aligned. Now it is not a Skater, Cigarette, Nortec, or MTI (not that I would not like to roll like that, but those are just not in the cards), but it is a unique boat that will draw attention.

After coming up with a design, my son and I met with the two local hospitals to see which one could get us the most exposure. St. Lukes Hospital in cedar Rapids, Iowa, is the one that treated muy mom, and in my mind has the best cancer treatment center in the area. When I met with the marketing folks there, and laid out a rendition of what I was doing, I could see them all just thinking WTF? After a 45 minute presentation, they were "all in".

We plan on using this boat as a marketing effort to better spread the word locally about the resources that St. Lukes has to detcect cancer at its earliest stages. We are making an autograph card that will have a pic of the boat, along with its information, with a list of resources on the back. Maybe, just maybe, it will help somebody take a first step, like getting that first mammogram. With that, I have 7 other local sponsors that have come on board to help me with this initiative. We already have many dates on the calendar and will soon be launching a facebook page to keep everybody up to date about where we will be, and what we will be doing. I will be using proceeds from the sponsors to help cover some overhead, and to alos purchase promotional merchandise that we will trade for donations. These donations will do to the hospital to help fund pre-screenings for those that cannot afford it.

Right now, the boat is in primer and should have paint in the next few days. The boat and trailer will be in Synergy Green, and my Excursion will have apartial Synergy Green wrap on it. I hope that we will be able to have some fun, rasie some money, and raise some awareness as to what is available in our communuity. I also hope that folks that are battling this challenge can look at this as an opportunity to live, rather than focusing on the negative, if even just for a few minutes.

The attached rendering is not with the current sponsors, but are from a presentation to another group, but you will get the idea.

The "unveiling" will be happening at a local St. Pattys parade on the 17th of March. It will be surrounded by folks that have been impacted by cancer, along with the health proffesionals that wake up and battle it every single day. No, this boat is not that multi hundred thousand dollar rocket with an over the top paint job, but in my world, it should be pretty cool.

There is also a pic of the boat as we bought it, and a 53" remote control model with a weedeater gas engine that I will loan to my sponsors, along with a glass case, to display it at thier businesses. This model will be an exact duplicate of the "big" boat.

36Tango 02-21-2011 04:39 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some pics of these BatBoats in action can be seen at
V24powerboats.com
I do not intend on racing it, but will attend some poker runs along with all of the local appearances.

glassdave 02-21-2011 05:06 PM

Lookin good :cool-smiley-011:

36Tango 02-21-2011 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 3332321)
Lookin good :cool-smiley-011:

Thanks for all of the help along the way! Your inpput has been very valuble.

Keytime 02-21-2011 05:29 PM

Nice work, Jeff.

Ona-Mission 02-21-2011 06:11 PM

Love it.
My mother is 80 yrs old and has recently been diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer that has metastisised in her bones and currenty her marrow is 80% to 90% replaced with cancer.
if you ever get to Michigan or Erie for a run I'd like to shake your hand.

Magic Medicine 02-21-2011 08:25 PM

Great idea, great cause good luck!

Here's Johnny 02-22-2011 04:44 AM

Mom's been battling Breast Cancer for 13 years now (she just turned 60 in December)....full radical mastectomy when we found it......showed up in her sternum bone 4 years ago.....been on Chemo the better part of the last 13 years......Since the end of the summer she has been acting like a different person......clumsey, tired, confused and week on her left side of her body......took her for more MRI's and CT Scan's.....one large tumor on the brain.......Neuro surgeon expressed to me immediate action.......rushed her to hospital on Friday February 11th for more testing and under the knife Tuesday February 15th.....Dr. is positive he got it all but he can not be sure it won't re-appear......mom is doing well at home now recovering.......actaully cooking and cleaning which she was unable to do for quite a while now........(these are the simple things that make her happy). My point of telling this whole story to you is that I feel she could have been helped sooner had I been more "educated" as a family member of someone with cancer......I could remember her over the summer coming out to eat and I noticed little things like her hair being a little messy, something she would never ever have let happen. Then her being a little behind in our conversations......she and we wrote it off as 13 years of chemo taking it's toll, not the case. My thought is for someone like you with your boat that can get people's attention then pass on information.......pamphlets, brochures, magazines, etc, etc....filled with things to look for, for early detection......as you know already that is what gives someone the best chance of beating cancer......You seem to already know what your doing, this is just a thought/idea I felt I can add from my experience........I wish you luck and hope to see you at a Poker Run sometime soon.....

twin screws 02-22-2011 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Keytime (Post 3332341)
Nice work, Jeff.

Thanks, my sister has been dealing with cancer for 4 years.

Audiofn 02-22-2011 06:58 AM

IMO you picked the perfect boat for this! Bat boats attract more attention then any other unless you have a HUGE wallett.. Great job/cause I hope it all works out.