Notices

Stereo help

Old 02-23-2011, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo help

Need to replace the stereo in boat. Any suggestions on a good am fm stereo cd Ipod mp3 usb port player with a wired remote? I don't want to have to use an external amp or sub woofer. And will a player with a usb port play music from a memory stick? Thanks.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:03 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out the Clarion stuff. I think it fits all your requirements. Some players will play from the USB's but some will not. You have to use certain sticks and/or format them properly.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I just put a new kenwood deck in mine & it works excellent,you can run speakers or amps or both it even has bluetooth
Old 02-24-2011, 03:28 AM
Registered

There is a kenwood unit that stores the ipod inside the radio and you can buy a wired remote for it with display. No CD player, but do you really need one with teh IPOD?? Great unit, its what I just put in mine...

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...arine/KMR-700U

and

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-qSg3Lbb...A-RC107MR.html

Last edited by sleev-les; 02-24-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:41 AM
Registered

I went with Sony, standard DIN head unit mounted in the cabin with a remote to dash panel. I went this route because the truly waterproof units from most manufacturer's are not a standard DIN size. I studied all the brands. Most "marine" radios just have a coating on there internals to help prevent corrosion. Alpine, Sony, clarion, kenwood do have some "water/spray proof" radios, but not in a standard DIN. The Sony I got is pretty loud for just a head unit, 50w I think, $170.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by pitts1313
I went with Sony, standard DIN head unit mounted in the cabin with a remote to dash panel. I went this route because the truly waterproof units from most manufacturer's are not a standard DIN size. I studied all the brands. Most "marine" radios just have a coating on there internals to help prevent corrosion. Alpine, Sony, clarion, kenwood do have some "water/spray proof" radios, but not in a standard DIN. The Sony I got is pretty loud for just a head unit, 50w I think, $170.
The kenwood does fit in a DIN sized space. The screen is the only thing that is oversized.. Its the best of both worlds.. Getting a larger display and still fitting in the DIN spot.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Registered

I love my Kenwood deck. I have 2 remote commanders for it and it works with all my accessories.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:31 PM
LPG
Registered

When I was installing stereo equipment at Nauti Marine I used MbQuart marine head units. They are easy to install and work great. The wired remotes are very easy to read.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sleev-les
There is a kenwood unit that stores the ipod inside the radio and you can buy a wired remote for it with display. No CD player, but do you really need one with teh IPOD?? Great unit, its what I just put in mine...

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...arine/KMR-700U

and

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-qSg3Lbb...A-RC107MR.html
This is the same one I put in my boat and recommend it to everyone I think it is a great headunit