Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   stainless marine or emi which would you use? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/248190-stainless-marine-emi-would-you-use.html)

32storm 02-23-2011 08:22 PM

Stainless Marine-great design & quality product. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

wjb21ndtown 02-23-2011 08:54 PM

I would get Stainless Marine or Gils.

Has anyone ever done a performance comparison of the two? I know stainless last longer in salt water, but I only boat in fresh water. Gils seem like they have bigger ports, but I could be wrong.

AIR TIME 02-24-2011 03:13 AM

SM gen 3s are bigger than gils, the gen 2s might be a little bigger too. but the 3s are great.

Baja555 02-24-2011 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by wjb21ndtown (Post 3334560)
I would get Stainless Marine or Gils.

Has anyone ever done a performance comparison of the two? I know stainless last longer in salt water, but I only boat in fresh water. Gils seem like they have bigger ports, but I could be wrong.

I used Gil's for 10 + yrs in salt .. I flushed them everytime and never had any issues.. they are probably the loudest out of them all.. Down side is they are very difficult to get to the spark plugs...

LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS 02-24-2011 08:37 AM

All of the brands listed in this thread so far are good. It just depends on what you need & want to spend.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

Uncle Dave 02-24-2011 09:07 AM

This is always a topic that is highly driven by the particular board its asked on.

The East coast guys seem to like - Stainless, Eickert, and gill.

The West Coast guys gravitate toward- Imco at the high end and EMI for value - with Eickerts stuff in between.

Teague and Boostpower use Imco when they use manifolds vs headers.

Uncle Dave

AIR TIME 02-28-2011 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Baja555 (Post 3334819)
I used Gil's for 10 + yrs in salt .. I flushed them everytime and never had any issues.. they are probably the loudest out of them all.. Down side is they are very difficult to get to the spark plugs...

nah my SM gen 2s are louder than gils we compared them once at a pokerrun. gils top is 3 1/2'' SM are 4'' your lucky to not get leaks after 10yrs I know guys who had leaks after 7 or 8 years.I hope I didn't make a mistake buying hardin marine hurricane 5'' headers for the blower motor I got a good deal on them new dyno time only, I was going with the gen 3 5''sm.

formula 382 sr-1 03-01-2011 04:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Stainless Marine .........

Baja555 03-01-2011 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by AIR TIME (Post 3338596)
nah my SM gen 2s are louder than gils we compared them once at a pokerrun. gils top is 3 1/2'' SM are 4'' your lucky to not get leaks after 10yrs I know guys who had leaks after 7 or 8 years.I hope I didn't make a mistake buying hardin marine hurricane 5'' headers for the blower motor I got a good deal on them new dyno time only, I was going with the gen 3 5''sm.

Yeah, I always flushed them... The 5in should be ok if you have enough cubes... A friend of mine went from Gil's to S/M gen 3 and lost 3 hp on the dyno... 509ci w/B&M 250...