Good news/ Bad news............ >

Good news/ Bad news............

Notices

Good news/ Bad news............

Old 03-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good news/ Bad news............

So finally got a semi decent day and took the boat out for her "maiden" run after the rebuild and Procharger addition. 454 Mag MPI Gen VI....

Launched at Cowichan Bay and headed up towards Thetis Island to look for a friend who was prawning, didn't find him but did find 5-6' seas...!!!! Made for an interesting run, boat ran well, have to try a different prop, this one blows out really easy and I need a little more bow lift. I also have to bring the fuel pressure down a little, but other then that she ran well........80+ (and no, that was not in those seas.....we found some calm water and I bumped her up just above 4000rpm)

What do you think of these numbers? Water pressure - 15psi at idle, 20psi at cruise and 25psi pushing her a little...(no WOT until the motor is broken in)

40psi fuel pressure which raises to about 45psi cruising....I think I need to adjust it down a little?

40psi constant for oil pressure.

As I said, I did not push her up much past 4000rpm but up there she showed 3-4lbs boost?

One thing I am concerned with is engine temp, all day it never got above 100*....???? Am I risking scoring a cylinder???

After clearing the crappy weather we got into a calmer area out in front of Sidney and cruising at about 40 I lose oil pressure............shut her down and lift the hatch............. oil as far as the eye can see! One of the "new" crimp fitted oil lines to the remote filter blew off!

A buddy was near by in his boat, got him on the cell phone and he gave us a short tow to the fuel dock. I cut the end of the fitting off, "borrowed" a hose clamp from a line that didn't really need it and fastened it back together, topped off the oil with FOUR liters and cleaned up the mess as best I could, left the four liters plus in the bilge to be dealt with when we got home.

No problems on the run home, now for the clean up......what do you suggest would be the best way to get all this mess out of the engine bay? I have wiped most of it down with some "oil spill" matts that I have but the oil is EVERYWHERE.....is there something I can spray the engine and bilge down with and hose out? Some of the areas I can not reach........
Old 03-21-2011, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Ouch, that suck man. Glad you didnt blow it up. Simple green has worked well for me in the past but im sure others here know something better.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simple green or any good degreaser will work, but stay away from bright aluminum or anodized fittings, as most degreasers have been known to take some of the brightness away.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by endeavor1
Ouch, that suck man. Glad you didnt blow it up. Simple green has worked well for me in the past but im sure others here know something better.
Thanks, who makes Simple Green? I don't think I have seen it up here....?
Old 03-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by animalhouse
Simple green or any good degreaser will work, but stay away from bright aluminum or anodized fittings, as most degreasers have been known to take some of the brightness away.
That is one of my concerns with a degreaser, worried about all the plastic, rubber, fiberglass, bilge paint etc etc
Old 03-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree on SG. I use it on everything, and it's gentle on rubber and plastic.
http://www.simplegreen.com/

Looks like you can get it at Canadian Tire.
http://canada.simplegreen.com/ca_sho...here_to_en.php

Last edited by CigDaze; 03-21-2011 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by CigDaze
I agree on SG. I use it on everything, and it's gentle on rubber and plastic.
http://www.simplegreen.com/

Looks like you can get it at Canadian Tire.
http://canada.simplegreen.com/ca_sho...here_to_en.php
Awesome, thanks..........good ole Canuck Tire......
Old 03-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dawn dish soap works good to and it doesn't hurt anything
Old 03-21-2011, 06:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kickin32
dawn dish soap works good to and it doesn't hurt anything
I actually tried that after seeing them wash oil soaked birds, I found that if you can get to the surface to scrub it with the soap it comes off great, problem is there are some areas I just can not reach so I have to spray something on and hose it off....I picked up some Simple Green HD today....
Old 03-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

If you can't find Simple Green, use some Formula 409.

BTW, your idle water pressure is pretty high. Most people barely see the needle move at idle. If you start getting much above 25psi, then thats too high and you need a relief valve.
Your oil pressure should move some with increased rpm or after it gets hot also. Do you have an oil temp gauge??? Are you sure the oil psi gauge is working properly??? I would hook up a mechanical gauge.

Last edited by Griff; 03-21-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.