Notices

Chicago air show info

Old 03-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey thanks to everyone that has chimed in

I am looking forward to this, might be our one and only boat trip this year!

I can only assume from what I have read over the years that the lake can get nasty fast, and a 40 mile run might be not to the liking of the misses,
How is Wilmette Harbor?
I assuming since no one has mentioned any of the harbors closer that they are not recommending them?
Montrose, Belmont, Diversy or the others.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts

only reason they didnt mention them is that they dont have launch ramps. I believe Tower Rd has a ramp but i'm not sure if its for the town residents or public. Other then that the first closest ramp would be Waukeegan other then launching right downtown. If you wanted to launch downtown then i would suggest you get there at like 5:30AM. Last time we did the launch at Diversey we got in at 7AM and were the last ones in cause the lot was full!!!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

East Chicago Pastric Harbor would be another option with a short run North to the city.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AO31
East Chicago Pastric Harbor would be another option with a short run North to the city.
agreed Pastricks an awesome Marina & ramps but if he's coming from Minn he may be able to shoot str8 east on I-90 towards Winthrop bring 125 foot of rope and a good anchor .
Old 03-04-2011, 12:36 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The city of Highland Park IL has a park district ramp that I use for the airshow. Downside-- $75.00 to launch. But easy in and out and no waiting, even during th airshow.

Nice 20 minute ride to the city.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:50 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty
The city of Highland Park IL has a park district ramp that I use for the airshow. Downside-- $75.00 to launch. But easy in and out and no waiting, even during th airshow.

Nice 20 minute ride to the city.
You can buy a season pass that turns out to be better of you launch more then 3-4 times. I called the park district few years back and asked about it.
I have two numbers you can call and ask if you like. One i think is the launch ramp itself the other i think is the park office but i dont remember which is which:
847-432-2442
847-831-3810 ...i think is the park office

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Lake Forest also has a small ramp that is never busy. Easy to get to from 94, and is a shorter stretch by water. Plus lots of BIG houses along the shore to check out. I could find out about a launch permit if needed.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is no better seat in the house than on a boat for the show but.....the lake never seems to cooperate very well on the desirable weekends unless you have a 40 footer. There is usually a N.E. wind and 4-6 foot chop.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Diversey harbor has a ramp.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MnFastBoat
Hey thanks to everyone that has chimed in

I am looking forward to this, might be our one and only boat trip this year!

I can only assume from what I have read over the years that the lake can get nasty fast, and a 40 mile run might be not to the liking of the misses,
How is Wilmette Harbor?
I assuming since no one has mentioned any of the harbors closer that they are not recommending them?
Montrose, Belmont, Diversy or the others.
What day are you planning to show up. They do their practuce runs on Friday and the show is on Saturday and Sunday. You might want to show up on Thursday to launch at one of the Chicago Harbors and get a slip. You can do some boating for a couple of days before the show and not have to fight traffic getting to the airshow. I would check to see if you can rent a slip in advance. The shoreline over over into Indiana/Michigan has some of the nicest sand dunes around. I am sure that you can hook up with some of the local performance boaters to hang out with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.