Notices

Chicago air show info

Old 03-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by obsessed1
Lake Forest also has a small ramp that is never busy. Easy to get to from 94, and is a shorter stretch by water. Plus lots of BIG houses along the shore to check out. I could find out about a launch permit if needed.
I just did a search on that ramp...looks nice from google earth! but looking deeper they dont list a daily launch fee and non-resident pass for the year is .......(gulp)....$2501!!!!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went by land 2 years ago and it was hot and crowded . what sugestions do you have for coming from cincinnati , ohio ? what about the marinas there in Indiana ? how far is it to navy peir ? what are the names of them and cost ? can you drop anchor inside the break wall after the show to spend the night ? I got questions , I need ansers . Tim
Old 03-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by tim brown
I went by land 2 years ago and it was hot and crowded . what sugestions do you have for coming from cincinnati , ohio ? what about the marinas there in Indiana ? how far is it to navy peir ? what are the names of them and cost ? can you drop anchor inside the break wall after the show to spend the night ? I got questions , I need ansers . Tim
If coming via Cincinnati i would drop at Michigan City and boat over. Or if you want to be a little close you can drop at East Chicago Marina or even closer but not in the city yet at Hammond Marina where a few fellow OSO'ers are at and boat over with them.

You can drop anchor inside the breakwall on the north side of the pier/water treatment plant in what we call "The Play Pen" and spend the night. Done it once and see boats there all the time. Make sure you have working anchor light and paperwork etc incase you get stopped/boarded.
Another option is to get a slip at Dusable Harbor...its a short walk to Navy Pier and also into the city if you want.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-08-2011, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

East Chicago or Hammond are your best bet coming from Cin. They are both within 20 miles of the city, both have decent launch ramps. Hammond is more expensive ($30 for a triple-axle trailer) and has a less-convenient parking situation (lots of walking). East Chicago is $20 to launch. I would not plan on spending the night out there floating...conditions have to be PERFECT...and that's fairly rare on Lake Michigan. If you are going to try for a transient slip...call SOON. Hammond will definately have space, but I'm not sure about E.Chicago or any of the downtown harbors.