Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Stereo Head Units? GPS Chartplotter XM (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/248818-stereo-head-units-gps-chartplotter-xm.html)

hotjava66 03-05-2011 10:11 AM

Stereo Head Units? GPS Chartplotter XM

Looking for some input. I installed a new stereo system last year, sounds great, but I hate the functionality of my current head unit. I let the installer talk me into a run of the mill Pioneer (not marine). I really want something that sounds great, has a dedicated full I-Pod connection, XM/Sirius ready, and set up for multiple full function remotes. My mounting location is in the cabin, I need full control from the helm via remote, and want a full function remote on the stern so I am not climbing in and out of the boat 1000 times a day. The only thing I have seen so far that looks like what I want is the Alpine ida-1000. Anyone have one and like it, or can point me to something similar.

I am also wondering if anyone is using their GPS for XM/Sirius input. I see a lot of them say they are compatible, but they dont give a lot of info on how to do it or if it will interface with a stereo head unit. I am in the market for a new GPS too, so would like to get one that will do XM and save on mounting an extra antenna.

gare 03-05-2011 10:27 AM

duplicate

gare 03-05-2011 10:35 AM

I've got two Alpine 9886s on a JL Audio system. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a unit that will suit your needs better than the ida-1000. I think Alpine is about the only one left that has a RF remote available. I'm driving multiple amps so all the pre-amp outs that the Alpine has really simpified set up.
I'm curious who your dealing with in eastern MI. If it's Soundwaves in Clinton Township, GOOD LUCK. I found it very frustrating and it won't ever happen again. I ended up having my credit card company and the BBB involved. My CC company had to square it up for me

pitts1313 03-05-2011 10:38 AM

I'm about to install Sony head unit in cabin with the wired remotes outside tied into a Lowrance HDS-5 chartplotter flush mounted where my speedo was located. I still think the Lowrance requires an additional/optional antenna for "sirius weather radar/Sirius music".

regalman4925 03-05-2011 10:52 AM

ALPINE!!!!!!! only way to go and their remotes are the best i have seen!!! i have been around mobile audio since my early teens and i can say that the alpine marine stuff is top notch, i cant recomend it enough! i have the cda-9886M with 2 remotes

hotjava66 03-05-2011 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by gare (Post 3342858)
I've got two Alpine 9886s on a JL Audio system. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a unit that will suit your needs better than the ida-1000. I think Alpine is about the only one left that has a RF remote available. I'm driving multiple amps so all the pre-amp outs that the Alpine has really simpified set up.
I'm curious who your dealing with in eastern MI. If it's Soundwaves in Clinton Township, GOOD LUCK. I found it very frustrating and it won't ever happen again. I ended up having my credit card company and the BBB involved. My CC company had to square it up for me

I almost used them but found someone local to do it at the last minute. Had issues there as well though. I am running a full J/L system too, great stuff, but had a hard time getting the products I wanted. I am still running one amp that I didnt want, but since it sounds good and I never paid for the other model I may just keep it now.

bigboat28 03-05-2011 12:18 PM

hot... how many watts do you have?

hotjava66 03-05-2011 12:18 PM

Can anyone tell me the difference between the different remotes that Alpine offers . Their web site isnt very helpful. The offer the MC1, MC2, and each of them in a kit form, but dont tell you what you get as a kit, or the difference between the 2 models.

hotjava66 03-05-2011 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by bigboat28 (Post 3342932)
hot... how many watts do you have?

capt2130 03-05-2011 05:32 PM

I am currenty putting in a iDA-X100M. A guy I know has the same stereo. It sounds and works great.