Notices

Repo boats at auction

Old 02-22-2011, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repo boats at auction

Hey guys!!!

I pick up boats from auctions as a hobby of a buddy and mines. I get them at the repo (no salvage) auctions across the US. As there is absolutely no way that I could ever buy and sell all of these, I wanted to give you guys a list of stuff coming up in case any of yall were interested in getting a deal and picking up directly from auction. Check out this simple page I made that has a list of the boats running through the blocks. I'll do my best to keep the page updated as the auction house releases the lists. The book went up of the past months, and it seems like pretty much everything is going for right at wholesale (ie low-book or trade-in).

http://performanceboatauction.blogspot.com/

Cheers!

Last edited by hawaiianhopper; 02-22-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You think the 100 gals of water with chit floating in the cabin is going to help sell the Checkmate?

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 63 Posts

Everything i saw looked pretty ragged out
Old 02-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Registered

US1, lol. I saw that. looks good enough to drink

Endeavor...yeah, most of them have been sitting outside for a few months collecting dirt. Nice things about boats is that pretty much everything is cleanable, replaceable, or fixable, for relatively little dollars. Just a little time and elbow grease.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by hawaiianhopper
US1, lol. I saw that. looks good enough to drink

Endeavor...yeah, most of them have been sitting outside for a few months collecting dirt. Nice things about boats is that pretty much everything is cleanable, replaceable, or fixable, for relatively little dollars. Just a little time and elbow grease.
"everything is cleanable, replaceable, or fixable, for relatively little dollars. Just a little time and elbow grease."

Have you actually brought a mess like these boats are back to nice condition for "relatively little dollars" ?
By that statement I doubt it.
ed
Old 02-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

looks like a lot of beat up equipment... the 28 heat might be the best of the bunch though
Old 02-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Registered

Ed...Actually, I have gone through a few of them. Most of the ones that I have gotten have been 2005 and newer. I usually don't mess with anything that has junk motors, or missing drives/motors. Most of them come with condition reports with compression tests.

Minor gelcoats scratches and nicks can be either wetsanded out, or filled in with a cheap $25kit from spectrum and a little labor. If the upholstery isn't cut, or cracked, it can usually be brought back to life with the right cleaner and lots of elbow grease.

So yes, if you are not buying a junker, you can usually take a boat like I get, and for less than $500 in parts and your labor, end up with a boat that is pretty damn close to new, as used things can get.

Are there junk repos? sure. But the connotation that all are junk as a blanket statement makes no sense to me. What are you basing that on? Just because someone didn't have the sense to not take on too much of a debt, doesn't automatically make them bad boaters/owners. Most of the dirt that you see is from them sitting in lots for months waiting to run. I'd be willing to bet that lots of these boats were the prior owners pride and joy.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think these auction houses could do a lot better for themselves and get much closer to retail if they actually: 1) took care of the boats that were in their possession, 2) accepted actual bids, updated the actual bid that they were holding on a specific item, and allowed other people to bid over that amount with certified funds and appropriate deposit amounts, and 3) advertised the boats better.

It is such a hassle finding the auctions, dealing with the people that run the auctions, and trying to find out what you can ACTUALLY buy one of these boats for that its not worth the trouble.

They want to you stand inline, blind bid, and hope and pray to buy some soggy headache that's been soaking in the rain and rotting in the sun for the last 9 months to a year... BRILLIANT!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Registered

Thanks for posting this, and the bad pics just show that you're not hiding anything.

Need to clear out a few projects but always interested to hear whats out there. I'll keep an eye on your blog or feel free to email me tasty leads - no engines is fine.

[email protected]
Old 02-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Registered

wjb21ndtown...yeah, I understand what your saying about places like nationalliquidators, etc. The auctions that I go to, Manheim and Adessa are true dealer only auctions where there is live bidding and they stream it over the internet. If I was actually there, they would let me go in and check them out. usually, their inspection crew does a pretty good job of documenting stuff. And the values listed, should be really close to what they finally sell for. Although the past few months, the market has been heating up and some people in the Dallas auctions have been paying retail for wakeboard boats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.