Notices

Advice on what to buy

Old 03-06-2011, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdscarpa
I decided I want to get into boating this summer, originally was thinking of a jet boat until I started doing some research, I think an offshore style makes more sense. Most of the models I came across were Baja Outlaw 20 and the Baja Hammer. I'm 24 and don't really want to spend more then 20k, but I want something that I can have a blast in and not spend all my time trying to fix problems that may arise. I know the Outlaw doesn't have a cabin, I would like at least something I could sleep in like the Hammer has if not more. I spent most of the day trying to familiarize myself with makes/models and haven't gotten very far. What do you guys suggest?
GO TO THE CLASSIFIEDS look at all of the brands in your size and once you have it down to boats go look at them in person. how big are the waves that you will run in. if there over footers look at the footers and up.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Registered

ALSO THE BEST DEAL on a newer boat is the BANANA that SP 123 is selling on the board here. its 2 years olds has the best chit money can buy on it. replacement has to be 65,000 plus. its a single outboard 24 banana custom everything and he is asking 39,000 its a steel for a 09 boat. will run mid 60s or if you added another outboard in a few years its a 80 mph plus boat. if you go to the Banana section you will find it or look for threads started by SP123. that boat gets great gas mileage too. if you want a older boat sick stinger has a great deal on his too. pm me if I can help with anything. I have run a 24 footer for 23years off and on . good luck just ask if you have a queston on here or like I said pm. ART
Old 03-24-2011, 08:51 AM
Registered

I did some research and browsing over the past few weeks. I prefer a BBC because of the sound, and the boat looks more finished, I never cared for OB engines. It sounds like they are more practical but I'm not sure I could get myself to buy one. I would love to buy a 33 Fountain but I can't justify it at this point in my life. I plan on mostly using it in the CT river and long island sound, maybe a trip or two to block island on a smooth day. The only boating experience I have is with my grandfather cruising at 30mph in his Egg Harbor, so I'm sure anything I get will be infinitely more fun. I did look at reviews on the Outlaw 20 and decided it may not be the best to buy. I like the Baja 272 but they all seem to be asking 30k+. I like the Baja H2X, I know people are saying the OL25 rides better in rough water, but they cost significantly more as well. The Checkmate 242 looks nice as well, but a little pricey. What year would you recommend I stay above to avoid hull and electronic issues? How many hours should I stay below to avoid engine/drive issues?
Old 03-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For that price range I wouldn't look at anything but a Pantera. Nice lines, great ride, great resale. I'm selling mine if interested send me a PM. That boat was COMPLETLY redone less than a yr ago and barely been used. Here are some pics http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/p...pantera-5.html
Old 03-24-2011, 10:34 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The 272s and 25 OLs are out there in the $20s. 252 may be another consideration. A little smaller, but much more boat than the 20 OL.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Registered

pick yourself up a 92-97 24outlaw...reliable, safe, and you wont loose a ton of money if you sell it within a few years. Also they handle 2-3 ftrs decent and you should be able to get one close to $15k...just have a knowledgeable person or shop look over it for you before purchase. That was my 1st boat and i know a marine perf shop owner who has one since new that does 100mph--so its good to start off with and apparently there is plenty boat there to grow into!!(i wouldnt go 90 in one)