Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Water tested today.  The results were NOT good. >

Water tested today. The results were NOT good.

Notices

Water tested today. The results were NOT good.

Old 05-20-2002, 09:49 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water tested today. The results were NOT good.

Rambunctious and I ran my boat tonight after work. Went about 1.5 miles never exceeding 4000 rpm and the oil temp shot up to 260 very quickly. It sounds like most of the lifters are flat. There is also some noise from the rotating assembly lower in the motor. Pulled the filter off. Silver oil?? Not good. At least I didn't find this out at LOTO on Wed.

Motor has to come back out and be disassembled. Again. My poor back seat is really taking a beating. Probably gonna have to have it re-upholstered due to several nicks and cuts in it from the last couple of times it has been yanked (really, that's what you have to do, yank it out....poor design).

Needless to say I'm very dissapointed. Crazyhorse and I are baffled. This motor went together pretty well. No issues. Clearences were right on the money. Cam break in was done correctly. Baffled.

Oh well, now I can be a boat whore at LOTO. No need to stay sober to drive!!!!!! See, bright side to everything.

Mike
Old 05-20-2002, 09:54 PM
Registered

Waterfoul
Sorry to hear the bad news. Good luck on finding the problem. Seems like everyone is having trouble this year
Robert
Old 05-20-2002, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default That sucks!!

I know what you mean about the back seat. I had mine re done on the forth engine pull. Maybe with some luck the problem is a minor one and you will be on the water in time for it to get warm up here. Good luck!
Old 05-20-2002, 10:23 PM
Registered

I ran my boat sunday late at LOTO ran good my new props suck and I have a oil leak on one of the front covers! I an goging down to fix the oil leak tuesday after work another late night put the old props back on I will be under proped but at least I can take off new props wont plane untill I hit 6K!!!! And that was with two people Best of luck to you my boat has went back together like **** it is one problem after another.
Old 05-20-2002, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear the BAD news...
Silver Oil??? That sounds like a lot of water in there.

Was it hard to turn over?? If so, you definetly had water.

Have you checked your exhaust manifolds.??
May have crack and it will pour in like Niagra Falls ,eventually reach the bottom end and at 4,000 rpm that's NOT GOOD.
Hope you find the cause.
Old 05-20-2002, 10:28 PM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

Hope things work out for you foul. Good Luck.
Old 05-20-2002, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs down

Silver oil means that you lost a cam. Been there done that. Can happen even when you do everything right. You will find at least a few lobes gone. Any chance the lifters were too tight. I always use zero lash and down 1/4 turn
Old 05-21-2002, 12:18 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

Mike, I was really hoping that wasn't you posting earlier. That sucks big time. I know your pain. I had my heads off 3 times last year. First time to get a valve job, 2nd because I screwed up and the 3rd because I was in hurry to get it in the water and didn't get the heads rechecked after #2. The amazing thing is that when I had the boat at LOTO last year, it was between #2 and #3.
The Pantera is a simpler fix, and luckily it's gonna be done in time. I'll have room for you +1 more if needed. My cell #'s 402-968-6635. Might even give Audio a ride if my speakers get here
Old 05-21-2002, 05:40 AM
Charter Member#157
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That just royally SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Boy, it is a good thing I fought like hell to get mine done and to be able to bring it
Just not sure how 7 people are going to like the cat
We will make the best of it

Griff, I would love to be able to crawl around your and maybe even get a ride
Old 05-21-2002, 06:17 AM
jr

Sorry to hear things arent going well. This something that gets over looked easily. Make sure all the oil passage diverter plugs are where they should be, and are not blocking anything they shouldn't be. The reason I mention this. I had one motor in my boat that was much more worn out than the other. The reason is that it was missing one diverter plug in the block and the oil was bypassing the oil filter. I was running unfiltered oil. If you have to tear it apart again give it a look. Also make sure your mains are in the right way. Its easy to put them in the wrong way and cover up a oil passage. I wish you the best of luck. But like you said, at least you caught it now.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Water tested today. The results were NOT good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.