Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Actual CAT vs CAT style deck boat? >

Actual CAT vs CAT style deck boat?

Notices

Actual CAT vs CAT style deck boat?

Old 03-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

We love our 29 Advantage X-Flight. Everyone thinks that it is a cat but it's actually a V. It's wider than most Vs and takes the waves great for a 29 foot boat and it can seat a ton of people.

With a 525 it's suppose to top out around 70 but the best I've seen with my top on there is around 63, so far. Only been out in it with the 525 4 times and always had a full tank and speed wasn't my primary objective.

In light chop we had no problem cruising in the upper 50s but when we got to some bigger waves in open water in the gulf on a windy day we had to back it down to the mid 40's.

It's a great all around sport boat but I would not be my first choice for poker runs.
Attached Thumbnails Actual CAT vs CAT style deck boat?-5500039009_6ef7578d43_b.jpg   Actual CAT vs CAT style deck boat?-5500622892_b3b74cf214_b.jpg  

Last edited by Marginmn; 03-11-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Commercial Member
Commercial Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about this 29ft Trident 496 HO 75mph and a bad azz stereo....
Attached Thumbnails Actual CAT vs CAT style deck boat?-cimg0069.jpg   Actual CAT vs CAT style deck boat?-cimg0073.jpg   Actual CAT vs CAT style deck boat?-cimg0074.jpg  

Actual CAT vs CAT style deck boat?-img_0398.jpg   Actual CAT vs CAT style deck boat?-cimg0075.jpg  
Old 03-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Deck cats are REALLY windy compared to traditional cats.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:06 PM
Registered
VIP Member

A couple people we boat with have deck boats. One has a eticket with twin 525`s, its a beautiful boat. The other is a magic w/ a 496ho, really nice boat also. They do offer alot of room tho. Only thing I dont like is no drop out bolsters. Just my $.02
Old 03-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Deck cats are REALLY windy compared to traditional cats.
+1
Old 03-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Registered

from what I know about your family I would go out and try to find a cheap open bow or pontoon for family. Then keep outlaw until you find the right cat for yourself. Your little boy has alot of growing up to do, so those slow easy rides are ideal for now. When my kids where younger we had a 21' Islander open bow that was perfect for family days out. I know you can usually pick up one of those fairly cheap.

Good luck Bro
Old 03-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts

Would a fast center console fill your speed and room requirements?

Something like a 29 Lightening, Concept, Specter?
http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/3204

We see lots of them in Poker Runs down here.

Last edited by Mr. Demeanor; 03-11-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Plowtownmissile
I've been looking at 30'-36' Spectre cats with twin 500's (to do poker/fun runs) to add to the stable alongside the 20 Outlaw (for family days) but the wife through out a new idea... She threw out the idea of just trading in the 20 Outlaw on a 28+ft cat style deck boat to have the best of both worlds and just have one boat to insure, fuel, maintenance, etc. The deck boat would be a single engine boat and either be a pre-owned boat whichever I decide on. She hates the 20 Outlaw being a closed bow due to being about to take a limited number of people out with us and said if I got the Spectre, she'd drive me to trade the 20 Outlaw in on a open bow.

Can I really do both with a cat-style deck boat?
Do you think it would be a good compromise?
How far off are the speeds between the two?
Would insurance be cheaper on the deck boat?
How much rough water can the deck boat take? (I go to LOTO on occasion)
Who makes good quality cat deck boats? and what are the power options?
You say you want single engine boat but if your doing long poker or fun runs, i'd say go twins for redundancy. We did the 90+ miles JOTJ with a single 26 cat/deck boat and the whole time in the back of my mind was if I break down i'm screwed. Got rid of that and went with a 30 ft cat/deck with twin o/b and couldn't be happier Well, I guess i could be if it'd do about 125

I'll make few points on the cat/deck. +o/b
Speed 90+ MPH ALL DAY. You can hold it wide open forever
You can haul the whole family 8+ people
Insurance about 2100 for full coverage w/agreed value
As for rough water, i'm assuming it would handle LOTO http://PHOTOS.POWERBOATPHOTOS.COM/p689942402/e33247072 But I could be wrong.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jassman
excellent advise, I couldnt have said it any better. My favorite would be the E-Ticket..
+1
They had one at the LOTO shootout 2 years ago and it was badazz! Not sure how they compare in pricing and ride, but looks wise I think they have everyone beat.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by AO31
I think you would prob have to make up your mind; go fast safely or go slow with the whole crew. Or, buy the Spectre and trade the baja for a pontoon! Fast deck boats are kinda dangerous especially in bumpy waters.
Originally Posted by mreedy
from what I know about your family I would go out and try to find a cheap open bow or pontoon for family. Then keep outlaw until you find the right cat for yourself. Your little boy has alot of growing up to do, so those slow easy rides are ideal for now. When my kids where younger we had a 21' Islander open bow that was perfect for family days out. I know you can usually pick up one of those fairly cheap.

Good luck Bro
Thanks

Its been weighing on my mind heavily what to do because I know its gonna be the choice I'm stuck with for quite awhile. I started looking at cats last winter and thought I had it nailed down what I wanted til our vacation in Nevada in October. We went to look at a '32 Skater (Sweeper) at Boulderboats and they had a 28' Advantage deckcat that the wife went nuts over.

Originally Posted by thisistank
Comming from an objective "non-bias" observer, I can offer this:

I think you’ll see in the coming years an emergence of a boat that used to be primarily a “west coast” design. Deck boats have always been well received on the west coast lakes and you’ll find that most of the west coast builders offer some sort of deck boat option. I personally like the functionality of a deck boat (or “party boat”) as they have been revered to in the past.

Powerboat Magazine recently tested two such boats in February of this year for upcoming issues and while I’ll leave the conclusions and stats to the article, I was impressed by the two boats fit and finish and handling characteristics (the two boats being the Xflight 29 by Advantage boats and the 29 Deck boat by Nordic boats. The Advantage was pushed along with the help of a high-end Teague Custom Marine motor and the Nordic was powered with a 700SCI and NXT. Both boats offered “center cabins” if you will, with options of a porta-potty, storage or even a bed. Lots of creature comforts throughout with these two boats.

Another nice piece that was tested is the new Howad 28 open bow cat. While not a “deck boat” the open boat option allows to run comfortably with more people.

All boats were awesome. I would suggest looking into Nordic “Deck Boat” line, Advantages “Party Cat” and the new “X-Flight” lines, E-tickets “Luxury Cat” line, Howards “Sport Deck” line, DCB "deck" & "Sport Deck" lines, Eliminators “Fun Deck” Series, as well as the Essex “fusion” line to name a few.

http://www.advantageboats.com/

http://www.nordicboatsusa.com/

http://eticketboats.com/

http://www.eliminatorboat.com/

http://www.commanderboats.com/

http://www.howardboats.com/

http://www.dcbracing.com/home.htm

Then of course you have the open bow, mid cabin V-bottoms that seem to be making a big come back. Donzi’s new 35 mid cabin and Hallets new 35 mid cabin are spectacular machines (look for them in upcoming issues of Powerboat mag).

To answer your questions...

Yes, why not? People run their deck boats in havasu, Texoma, the delta, etc. in poker runs and fun runs all the time. I think with decent water you'll be comfortable and happy. If you run a 20' Baja now, there's no water any of the above mentioned deckboats/open bow cats cant run it that you've already run in.

Yes, actually I do. I also think you'll be pleasantly suprised with owning a deck boat. I also think it'd be useless to keep a 20' Baja for "family trips" and a 30-36 Spectre for poker runs since the Spectre is going to be more comfortable in both scenarios.

Between a 30-36 Spectre and a deck boat? I'd guestimate a deck boat will be 20-25 mph slower than the Spectre with same power.

Absolutely.

Refer to above. I wouldn't be hitting any 3+ footers in a deck boat.

Refer to above.

Good luck man. Keep us all posted on what you get. This is one of the fun parts of boating.
Amazing reply! Thank you very much Tank

Originally Posted by regor
We bought this last year. My wife had the sames concerns as your wife. I didn't want the "deck boat bus" & she didn't want the closed bow. I always loved the looks of the Daytona so, the wife made me get a walk off bow. I wasn't down with it at first but, I'm sold now. Great for the kids & people that have a hard time getting in the boat. I have better pics but, I can't post them apparently. It came with a 525EFI & Bravo Racing XR. Top speed I saw last year was 86 going down river, full boat 70-74. I'm currently having it whippled and can't wait to get my hands on it then.

http://www.riverdavesplace.com/RDP/g...-bow-walk-deck
Your situation sounds identical to what mine is and your boat sounds exactly like what would make us (her and I) happy. I'd be really happy with a boat that looks and runs like that! I'll look to see what I can find that's available.

Originally Posted by cdowns
What about this 29ft Trident 496 HO 75mph and a bad azz stereo....
Very nice and would run like I want with a Whipple. I'll check out your website and show the wife. Might be a dumb question but you are Pier57 after all... would you even take a 2006 20 Outlaw in on trade?

Originally Posted by Mr. Demeanor
Would a fast center console fill your speed and room requirements?

Something like a 29 Lightening, Concept, Specter?
http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/3204

We see lots of them in Poker Runs down here.
Honestly, I really can't "get into" a center console if that makes sense. It's just not the "look" I'm into. Also, I have no experience with outboards and that scares me some. Coming from a drag racing background, I feel way more comfortable with a good 'ol V8.

Originally Posted by capt2130
A couple people we boat with have deck boats. One has a eticket with twin 525`s, its a beautiful boat. The other is a magic w/ a 496ho, really nice boat also. They do offer alot of room tho. Only thing I dont like is no drop out bolsters. Just my $.02
Originally Posted by drejustice
You say you want single engine boat but if your doing long poker or fun runs, i'd say go twins for redundancy. We did the 90+ miles JOTJ with a single 26 cat/deck boat and the whole time in the back of my mind was if I break down i'm screwed. Got rid of that and went with a 30 ft cat/deck with twin o/b and couldn't be happier Well, I guess i could be if it'd do about 125

I'll make few points on the cat/deck. +o/b
Speed 90+ MPH ALL DAY. You can hold it wide open forever
You can haul the whole family 8+ people
Insurance about 2100 for full coverage w/agreed value
As for rough water, i'm assuming it would handle LOTO http://PHOTOS.POWERBOATPHOTOS.COM/p689942402/e33247072 But I could be wrong.
I'd love to own a twin engine catdeck but everyone i've seen is just plain out of my price range right now. The twin 525 Conquest catdeck Powerboat tested I would love to be able to afford. From what I've seen for sale and my budget, it'd have to be a single engine catdeck. While 30' and 32' Spectres are in my price range, the couple 36' Spectres I've looked at have been marked down to firesale prices.

I'm gonna start looking more into single engine catdecks with a 496HO (that I can add a Whipple) or 525 and see what I find that we both like. Thanks guys for all your replies. Its very appreciated

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.