Notices

Saturday's Work....

Old 03-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts
Default Saturday's Work....

Got to do some work on a Volvo Penta for a buddy Saturday.

Definitely some areas that I thought were designed better than Mercruiser.

Local Marina quoted him 7k to do the work, 40 hours worth was just labor!! He bought an entire new Transom Assembly for $2700, and hopes to sell the old one for a few hundred.

We started at about 10am and were done by about 9pm including assembling the hoist, engine out, old TA off, new TA on, engine back in. Hit a couple snags along the way, and had to make a couple trips to Advance, but it felt good to keep that marina from making 5k on him.
Attached Thumbnails Saturday's Work....-imag0047.jpg   Saturday's Work....-imag0051.jpg   Saturday's Work....-imag0055.jpg  

Saturday's Work....-imag0050.jpg  
Old 03-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Neat stuff.

Well done
Old 03-13-2011, 05:40 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of the big/established places use flat rate. If thats what the book says thats what they quote. With that being said my A tech's were bonused on hours under / 120-150% efficiency. It costs lots of money to operate a marina.

And, yes, Volvos are better across the board, just not popular and frankly a pain to get parts for as a service operator
Old 03-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by DollaBill
Most of the big/established places use flat rate. If thats what the book says thats what they quote. With that being said my A tech's were bonused on hours under / 120-150% efficiency. It costs lots of money to operate a marina.
40 hours is ridiculous if my dumb-backyard-ass can do it in a day.....

What's even worse - they charged him for an oil change and all they did was switch filters and write a new date on it. My buddy is checking the invoice, but he also thinks they charged him for a drive lube change, which clearly hadn't been done.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:46 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, looks like he's dealing with a crook.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by seafordguy
40 hours is ridiculous if my dumb-backyard-ass can do it in a day.....

What's even worse - they charged him for an oil change and all they did was switch filters and write a new date on it. My buddy is checking the invoice, but he also thinks they charged him for a drive lube change, which clearly hadn't been done.
way 2 much of this stuff B'n said on here & go'n on! As if things in the marine industry R not bad enough!!! Sad!! Glad U pulled the repair off!!!
Old 03-13-2011, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 234 Posts

Dads boat had a rusted out oil pan on his 260merc 350 in a 250 Wellcraft years ago. I went down to use it when he was out of town and the Marina had an invoice written for 2600 to pull the engine and put a new oil pan on. This was like 14 years ago.

Bought the oil pan for 75 bucks and and pulled the starter and got under the motor with out pulling it and had every thing changed out in 3 hours Piece of cake.

Told the mechanic there what i did he said he no way . Had the boat another 5 years never a drop of oil out of it.

The book is unreal what they give you to do some jobs. Especially if it doesn't take into account what model boat it may be in and what the accessibility might be.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Got to do some work on a Volvo Penta for a buddy Saturday.
Good Job!

Where did you get that engine lift? Can it handle a BBC, and how high can it lift the motor?
Old 03-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well done, man. And it's nice to know you saved a bundle doing it yourselves.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Dave M
Good Job!

Where did you get that engine lift? Can it handle a BBC, and how high can it lift the motor?
Crane, Chain Hoist and Trolley were all from Harbor Freight. I bought all of it for around 500 bucks about 2 years ago (I believe I signed up for the HF email and waited until I got one of their "20% off everything" coupons).

Yes it did my BBC's fully dressed with blowers, coolers, exhaust etc....

Didn't flex or wince at all.
Attached Thumbnails Saturday's Work....-p4260512.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.