Like Tree0Likes

Progressive Ins. wants to buy my boat???

Reply
Old 03-14-2011, 03:27 PM
  #21
HP Marine Ins. Specialist
Offshoreonly Advertiser
 
WakezoneINS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Insuring any kind of boat
Posts: 981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpete3 View Post
Man, that sounds wierd to me. Who could he call to see if this is legit?
Claims (Policyholder Line): 1-800-274-4499

Hopefully you got the name of the guy from Progressive that called you. DO NOT waiver on the price of your boat, OR tell him that you want an independent third party to survey your boat. Use only NAMS or SAMS surveyor. Then use the established value as the sale price. Make sure that Progressive endures the cost of the survey....

When you call in, ask to speak to a supervisor and tell them that you need to confirm a random call that you got.

Then, go from there.
__________________


Stacy Shute (Hanlon)
The NO LIMITS Insurance Agency
866-728-9757 ext 101
Wake Zone Marine Insurance Brokerage, Inc. - CA License 0H05075
For an online quote: www.wakezoneinsurance.com
[email protected]

*** Please note that any insurance advice given is based on current information at the time of the original post. Insurance rates, terms, policies, markets etc change often. We can not be held liable for outdated information that can be found in older posts on this forum.
WakezoneINS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:31 PM
  #22
Registered
 
JasonSmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 4,333
Default

Progressive doesn't want to PAY ANY claims, let alone PAY for another boat in order to PAY a claim.
Progressive BLOWS!
JasonSmith is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:31 PM
  #23
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
CigDaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
My Boats: Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer
Posts: 21,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakezoneINS View Post
Claims (Policyholder Line): 1-800-274-4499

Hopefully you got the name of the guy from Progressive that called you. DO NOT waiver on the price of your boat, OR tell him that you want an independent third party to survey your boat. Use only NAMS or SAMS surveyor. Then use the established value as the sale price. Make sure that Progressive endures the cost of the survey....

When you call in, ask to speak to a supervisor and tell them that you need to confirm a random call that you got.

Then, go from there.
Since you're here Stacy, would a situation like this be common practice? Have you ever heard of this before?
CigDaze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:54 PM
  #24
Registered
Thread Starter
Trade Score: (1)
 
rchevelle71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Boca Raton
My Boats: 1982 Pantera 24sport
Posts: 7,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigDaze View Post
The more I think about this, I'm curious:

How did he find you and get your number?
Is your boat listed for sale anywhere?

Most scammers these days avoid the phone by and large, as they prefer email for its better anonymity, so this kind of has me baffled.

And on the flipside, if my boat/car/whatever was stolen, I sure as heck would not under any circumstance accept another "replacement" boat/car/whatever in exchange. No way I'd let that fly. Give me the $ and I'll go find another one that's exactly to my liking.
It is listed on Screamandfly, the outboard site. Someone mentioned that it IS kinda rare, and MAY be hard to replace with a used one, an older 24 Pantera single outboard, for what thats worth??

Last edited by rchevelle71; 03-14-2011 at 03:57 PM.
rchevelle71 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:56 PM
  #25
Registered
Thread Starter
Trade Score: (1)
 
rchevelle71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Boca Raton
My Boats: 1982 Pantera 24sport
Posts: 7,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakezoneINS View Post
Claims (Policyholder Line): 1-800-274-4499

Hopefully you got the name of the guy from Progressive that called you. DO NOT waiver on the price of your boat, OR tell him that you want an independent third party to survey your boat. Use only NAMS or SAMS surveyor. Then use the established value as the sale price. Make sure that Progressive endures the cost of the survey....

When you call in, ask to speak to a supervisor and tell them that you need to confirm a random call that you got.

Then, go from there.
Thanks Stacy,

I am gonna print this out and have it with me when I call. I have his first name, and phone #, but he didnt leave a last name, on a good note, he did sound very professional, it could be real, who knows.
rchevelle71 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:57 PM
  #26
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member
 
Jamie B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: 4 Miles Offshore, IL
My Boats: Cigarette Top Gun w/ V6's and Maxum 3000 SCR
Posts: 2,117
Smile

This is perfectly normal and shouldnt cause alarms.

He is looking to replace a silmilar boat that they/Progressive insured and that boat was totaled out or was stolen. You evidently have your boat listed for sale and he simply saw the ad. Yours not having a HIN though will most likely kill this deal.

I'm a Lexus dealer and we get calls from insurance companies like this frequently on our pre-owned cars that are similar to what their policy holder lost.
Jamie B. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:13 PM
  #27
Registered
Thread Starter
Trade Score: (1)
 
rchevelle71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Boca Raton
My Boats: 1982 Pantera 24sport
Posts: 7,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie B. View Post
This is perfectly normal and shouldnt cause alarms.

He is looking to replace a silmilar boat that they/Progressive insured and that boat was totaled out or was stolen. You evidently have your boat listed for sale and he simply saw the ad. Yours not having a HIN though will most likely kill this deal.

I'm a Lexus dealer and we get calls from insurance companies like this frequently on our pre-owned cars that are similar to what their policy holder lost.
Not that it doesnt have one, the fiberglass was repaired in the area, so it just needs to be replaced, Not sure what is the right way to do it, but have seen many boats with the #'s just scribed in using one of those electric engraver things. I have all of the paperwork for the boat, including photo's of the transom replacement, and know the 2 previous owners personally, in fact the guy I bought it from is a member here(and so is the guy he bought it from), and also is an insurance claims guy, I just spoke to him, and he will make some calls if necessary. I wouldnt think that the claims guy would go thru the trouble of finding his client a boat, but then again, if it were an older boat, and mine is the only outboard to be had, it may be cheaper to buy my boat rather than stroke a check, or buy him a newer one.

Last edited by rchevelle71; 03-14-2011 at 04:18 PM.
rchevelle71 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:02 PM
  #28
HP Marine Ins. Specialist
Offshoreonly Advertiser
 
WakezoneINS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Insuring any kind of boat
Posts: 981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigDaze View Post
Since you're here Stacy, would a situation like this be common practice? Have you ever heard of this before?
Baesd on the boat that Progressive is looking to buy... no. Progressive has a replacement cost policy only on boats that are 2 years old and newer. They do not offer replacement cost policies on boats of this age.

So, that said, there was a post that was made by a Lexus dealer that mentioned that this is normal practice. In the car industry, yes, this would be 100% normal especially on higher end vehicles such as a Lexus. The auto insurance industry has started writing "new car replacement" policies/endorsements over the past couple years, so on a vechile, this would be a common thing that a auto dealer would run into.

But again, this is not normal on an older boat based on what I have seen.

I am not saying that this isn't legit and that it can't happen, I'm just saying that I rarely see something like this happen unless it is for a replacement cost policy which is only available on NEW boats.... But insurance companies often times need to think and work outside the box and normal operating procedures to close out claims. So, I would say, entertain the idea if the offer is fair.

Hope that helps shed some light...
__________________


Stacy Shute (Hanlon)
The NO LIMITS Insurance Agency
866-728-9757 ext 101
Wake Zone Marine Insurance Brokerage, Inc. - CA License 0H05075
For an online quote: www.wakezoneinsurance.com
[email protected]

*** Please note that any insurance advice given is based on current information at the time of the original post. Insurance rates, terms, policies, markets etc change often. We can not be held liable for outdated information that can be found in older posts on this forum.
WakezoneINS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:28 PM
  #29
Registered
 
Rottiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cumming GA
My Boats: 1999 AO 3100, 2001 36 spectre
Posts: 313
Default

I've had a call like that before on cars. Progressive offers a service where they find a vehicle just like the one you had. It all went smooth for me check cleared fine!
Rottiguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:37 PM
  #30
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
CigDaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
My Boats: Cigarette 35 Cafe Racer
Posts: 21,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakezoneINS View Post
Baesd on the boat that Progressive is looking to buy... no. Progressive has a replacement cost policy only on boats that are 2 years old and newer. They do not offer replacement cost policies on boats of this age.

So, that said, there was a post that was made by a Lexus dealer that mentioned that this is normal practice. In the car industry, yes, this would be 100% normal especially on higher end vehicles such as a Lexus. The auto insurance industry has started writing "new car replacement" policies/endorsements over the past couple years, so on a vechile, this would be a common thing that a auto dealer would run into.

But again, this is not normal on an older boat based on what I have seen.

I am not saying that this isn't legit and that it can't happen, I'm just saying that I rarely see something like this happen unless it is for a replacement cost policy which is only available on NEW boats.... But insurance companies often times need to think and work outside the box and normal operating procedures to close out claims. So, I would say, entertain the idea if the offer is fair.

Hope that helps shed some light...
Thanks a bunch for that explanation.
CigDaze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.