Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Why don't NXT drives have showers???? >

Why don't NXT drives have showers????

Notices

Why don't NXT drives have showers????

Old 03-15-2011, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change oil every 50 hours and you'll never need them.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aquaforce
I see drive showers on Bravos but not on NXTdrives. Can someone learn me something about that???
The main reason you see so many drive showers on Bravo and Alpha drives is primarily as a preventive measure. Because under way the top half of the drive is out of the water it receives no cooling support. What causes all of the heat is that the gear set without any cooling gets very hot. This heat cause the oil to move away from the bearing limiting all of the support the oil provides to these components. A drive shower operates in some what the same way a oil cooler does. Buy just reducing the temperature of the upper unit into a comfortable operating range the oil is not forced or cooked away by un-due heat. All a drive shower really does is keep from cooking the oil in the outdrive prematurely providing extended life characteristics of your outdrives oiling system. Just as an Oil cooler protects your engine from excessive oil temperatures a drive shower does the same thing.

While there have been dozens of claims as to whose is best or cools the most? The simple fact is they all perform adequately and reduce the temperature down to safe operating levels. When choosing you should consider such things as do you use the top of the outdrive as a step? Do you have clearance issues with the back of the hull? Choose a unit with a water pick that is angled not 90 degree's to better perform under trim conditions, And lastly demand stainless steel to avoid corrosion problems.

Best Regards
Old 03-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Volvo penta aquamatic 280!!! mini # 6 drive
Old 03-15-2011, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by delsol
Go on summit or jegs and buy a drive axle oil pump like they use in stock cars, and use it to push the drive oil through a stock merc engine oil cooler just after the raw water pump. From there i ran it through a spin on filter housing and then back into the drive.
I had the ports done on the upper housing while being rebuilt. Make sure to plumb the cool clean oil back into the gear area.

Sorry i don't think i took any pics of the setup before i sold the drives and system.

there used to be an add in the classifieds for this type, but they didn't include the filter housings. We did mine out of stainless braided line at the time also.

dave
Interesting but sounds complicated.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

after only a couple of hours on fresh rebuilt xr's i thought it was time better spent then idling in and paying for another drive failure. I guess it all depends what one feels is complicated...

Now there will not be a bravo type drive behind anything over 500 hp for me, the drive was not meant to take it.

When i scan through the threads in the drive tech section the reoccouring theme is -- how to get a bravo to stay together--. Kinda says somethng doesn't it?

they have their place, -- it's just not on a big/heavy/higher hp boat.

or as the direction of this thread go with an NXT -- there isn't drive showers because they don't need them.

dave
Old 03-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by delsol
after only a couple of hours on fresh rebuilt xr's i thought it was time better spent then idling in and paying for another drive failure. I guess it all depends what one feels is complicated...

Now there will not be a bravo type drive behind anything over 500 hp for me, the drive was not meant to take it.

When i scan through the threads in the drive tech section the reoccouring theme is -- how to get a bravo to stay together--. Kinda says somethng doesn't it?

they have their place, -- it's just not on a big/heavy/higher hp boat.

or as the direction of this thread go with an NXT -- there isn't drive showers because they don't need them.

dave
I just don't see how to make it work. Where do you drill and tap into the drive? How does the reservoir fit in?
Old 03-15-2011, 03:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
I just don't see how to make it work. Where do you drill and tap into the drive? How does the reservoir fit in?
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o29154-en.html
Old 03-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Registered

Very cool! I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned before.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Have to agree with that one. Scooping up water and dumping it on the top cap is, as they say, like pizzin' on a spark plug.

You need an actual cooler or radiator.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
like pizzin' on a spark plug.
I saw U do'n that in Key West!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.