Notices

How Fast is 180 mph?

Old 02-11-2011, 10:07 AM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,695 Likes on 1,208 Posts
Default How Fast is 180 mph?

Something to consider, http://boatermouth.com//index.php?vi...ntent&Itemid=8.

We seem to toss this number around pretty casually these days.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Sage words of advice Matt! In a day and time where just about any idiot with money can buy a boat that will run 150 MPH, many people forget that you need a hell of a lot of water and a hell of a lot of experience to do this kind of thing safely. Even pros like JT are getting worried. That says a lot.

I remember what an APBA offical told me years ago when we were having a friendly discussion about the requirments for Lifeline PFD's in the old A class. He told me that you can roller skate on water at about 60 MPH. At two or three times that, very bad things can happen. And throw alcohol into the mix ...
Old 02-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
Sage words of advice Matt! In a day and time where just about any idiot with money can buy a boat that will run 150 MPH, many people forget that you need a hell of a lot of water and a hell of a lot of experience to do this kind of thing safely. Even pros like JT are getting worried. That says a lot.

I remember what an APBA offical told me years ago when we were having a friendly discussion about the requirments for Lifeline PFD's in the old A class. He told me that you can roller skate on water at about 60 MPH. At two or three times that, very bad things can happen. And throw alcohol into the mix ...
AMEN Brother!
Old 02-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

264 feet per second.... DAMN
Old 02-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least for me, running 150 is completely different than running 180+....

180ish I feel like I do right before a moto looking at the starting gate, a nervous energy.

I applaud everyone who runs big numbers. It is not easy and damn sure not cheap.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup,,thats why I am still amazed they can get away with running 140-150mph on poker runs on public lakes without closing off the course. At that speed all it takes is some joe blow bozo to cut across with 10 kids on his pontoon boat in front of a group of 140mph boats to end poker runs as we know them..

(at 140mph your still covering 200ft per second)

Last edited by HTRDLNCN; 02-11-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 40FlatDeck
At least for me, running 150 is completely different than running 180+....

180ish I feel like I do right before a moto looking at the starting gate, a nervous energy.

I applaud everyone who runs big numbers. It is not easy and damn sure not cheap.
You scare me.... LOL.

Yep, seems like every 10 mph after 120 gets a bit more edgy. Of course IMO 170 in 31' of boat is just plan crazy. Even seeing Olsen run 170 in 33' in not so optimal water made me wonder when do you call it good.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by todd969
You scare me.... LOL.

Yep, seems like every 10 mph after 120 gets a bit more edgy. Of course IMO 170 in 31' of boat is just plan crazy. Even seeing Olsen run 170 in 33' in not so optimal water made me wonder when do you call it good.
No doubt, that 31 would get awful small at those speeds.

Gary is very good at reading the water or the wind conditions. I trust him completely, so if he wants to run, we run. If you even tap the trim postive, and I do mean TAP the button, or anything else for that matter at those speeds, it makes a big change. I called Johnny T last year and picked his brain about running that fast. He had great advice for me. He is the man for sure.

Havasu isn't ready for what Predator has under the hatch this year.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 40FlatDeck
No doubt, that 31 would get awful small at those speeds.

Gary is very good at reading the water or the wind conditions. I trust him completely, so if he wants to run, we run. If you even tap the trim postive, and I do mean TAP the button, or anything else for that matter at those speeds, it makes a big change. I called Johnny T last year and picked his brain about running that fast. He had great advice for me. He is the man for sure.

Havasu isn't ready for what Predator has under the hatch this year.
So true, Gary understands conditions. He's one of few I would trust in almost any water. But you still scare me...
Old 02-11-2011, 01:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 446 Posts

I made a similar comment about a month ago when people were talking about goldigger, saying it only does 150, my response was "only"?...since when is 150 slow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.